Studebaker's on the Stude test track

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker's on the Stude test track

As many of you may know, anybody at the SB May swap meet with a Studebaker, Packard, or Avanti was invited to drive around the Studebaker test track on Sunday. Since this year is the 100th anniversary of the Indy 500, we decided to have pace cars. We wanted to have all four years of pace cars, but only two showed up. My '40 and an absolutely beautiful '62 pace car replica. I got to pace the inside lanes and the '62 paced the outside, then we went full speed for two laps. What a blast!! Not only was I able to be a pace car, but I was joined by a South Bend racing legend and friend of mine, Stan Suski. Stan was one of the best-of-the-best back in the '70s racing at South Bend Motor Speedway. He wanted to see the Studebaker track in person, and what better way than the front of the field in a Studebaker with the roar of a bunch of Studebakers behind?! If you have never been on this track, you need to come and drive on it next year. It's a thrill!!

This was a photo that Bob Henning took from the catch fence. You can't see it in this photo, but the rest of the field was behind the tree line. We broke into two driving groups. A fast group and a slow group, and I paced the slow group. Then I almost cought up to the fast group...
    Chris Dresbach

VERY cool Chris! What an experience! I love the "body lean" in that high speed turn in your pic.

Comment

Is the chance to drive on the test track only going to happen at the zone meet next year, or will there be a chance at the Natlional meet?
      TDITS The Dude In The Stude

Comment

Awesome Xtopher!! I want to do that too! Hope to have a car there for the national meet next year. Who's the brave soul riding with you?
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I think Chris is trying to cover his tracks. Bet this picture showed up on a local "most wanted" website after somebody illegally gained access to the test track one afternoon and this speed camera caught them doing over 90 around one of the the corners ... good try Chris . . .

Comment

Chris, I did catch the pace car on the high speed side. Jim

Comment

So what do we consider as high speed that day on the open road?
              Tom
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TDITS View Post
                Is the chance to drive on the test track only going to happen at the zone meet next year, or will there be a chance at the Natlional meet?
                LAST Sunday may have been your LAST chance!!!

You never know for certain with changes of Proving Ground ownership, policies, etc. over the years.

Comment

Speed limit was 80 on the high side. Jim

Comment

65 MPH !!!! Be careful Chris this stuff may be kind of tough on a 71 year old engine ... !!!

sigpic
                    John
                    63R-2386
                    Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

I really want to go around the track agian. Definately a highlight of my life there...
                      That was Stan Suski riding with me.
                      Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
                      X