Kellison J6 Studebaker connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kellison J6 Studebaker connection

On the stove huggers forum, I mentioned that I had purchased a Kellison fiberglass body. I've been see-sawing on whether to keep it for awhile or just sell it, so I did some homework on parts. It turns out that the Kellison used a 51 52 Stude windshield and a 51 Chevy fastback rear glass. What luck??? Now all I need is a cheap chassis. Here is an image of what the car looks like. Obviously, mine is not done... its just a bare body at the moment. I could totally dig having a ride like this one though.
    Attached Files
    sals54

That would be a total blast! What engine would you use...torque monster?
    Carey
    Packard Hawk

Comment

Have you seen the Kellison Factory Racer Tribute for sale (and inspiration)? The colors...graphics...just perfect. If only it had a four-speed instead of a slush-box...
      Andy
      62 GT

Comment

For now, I'm currently using a Buick Aluminum 215 cu in. I've been researching wheelbases for what chassis to use. I think I'm leaning toward a Jag XJS if I can get a subframe done on the cheap. Good thing my muffler guy also does amazing fabrication work. I need a wheelbase of 102-103 inches. Thats cuz these were first used early Corvette chassis.
        sals54

Comment

I saw the ads in the 1960s Hot Rod Magazine and have loved the lines of the Kellison bodies for fifty years now. They are just too, too beautiful.

One thing I learned is like the beautiful Studebaker Coupe Express, the finished product doesn't fit everyone. Depending on personal length/width, it can get tight in there. I'd pay for a vacation to visit and sit in a finished Kellison of the same model before getting too far along in the build.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

Jack, Thanks for that observation. I have indeed already noticed the cramped quarters in the car. I believe of custom seat will have to be made to get the fit needed for me to get into that car. Being 6'-2" 220 can even make skootching in and out of an Avanti an exercise in contortion. Butt first, watch yer head, right leg knee down under the steering wheel, don't get hooked on the brake pedal, now left leg, don't bang the kneecap on the hood release, butt adjustment, OK, now were ready to go. Oops, forgot the keys. Now for a do-over.
            sals54

Comment

we did a story on this one owner .. back in May 08 ..
              he was trying to sell it .. and it still for sale . the frame is '61 Vette
              he lives in Concord, CA .. it was I think it was the number 4 of the build he was friends will Bill
              and it was a tough build in the day and kits are still rough to build .. but are nice to look at.

also did you know his shop was on Sutter Street in Folsom? ..( the old A&S Motorcycle wrecker location)
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Starlite51; 05-09-2011, 10:29 AM.
              John
              Folsom CA

"Lone Dog ... No Woof"

www.cruisinnews.com

www.SacramentoSwapMeet.com

Comment

Being 6'-2" 220 can even make skootching in and out of an Avanti an exercise in contortion
                1. You and I are the same size.
                2. An Avanti is vast and commodious compared to a Kellison.
                3. Again, spend some time in a finished Kellison. I drove a finished Kellison and came to the conclusion there was no possible way for me to be comfortable in one for any distance. Your results may vary.

jack vines

P.S. - nice car in the photos. I do take issue with his choice of taillights and the rear tire to fender fit. It appears he used too wide wheels and or axle and then had to raise the rear suspension to clear.
                Last edited by PackardV8; 05-09-2011, 10:37 AM.
                PackardV8

Comment

Jack,
                  Ditto to all of the above. I did notice however, that the seat fit is determined by the placement of the seat tracks against the "hump" for the rear frame kick up. It would be easy to settle for a standard seat mounted too far forward. When I sat in the Kellison without a seat, there was plenty of room. So I suppose if I just upholster the body itself instead of using a real seat, maybe that would work??????
                  sals54

Comment

If you do decide to sell your kellison j6 let me know, I would be interested in purchasing from you. I left you a private email with ly contact information

Comment

turbancars,
                      I'm in the process of building the chassis right now. I'm still using a Toyota pickup frame as a starter. Its already boxed 2x4 steel, so that makes it a good candidate for this car. The torsion bars are coming out and being replaced with coil overs. The rear of the frame is to be narrowed so I can move the leaf springs outboard. That will give me the stance I need. Low is better. I want the frame rails to be about 4 inches off the pavement. The front end may have to be Z'd to get the kickdown I'm looking for. Don't know that for sure, yet. Won't know till the 454 gets mounted. Once the weight is on the chassis, I'll have a better idea. Thanks for the interest, but I'm not ready to sell just yet.
                      sals54

Comment

Sounds like a fun project Sal.

A good friend of mine also has a virgin Kellison body sitting on a big pallet.
                        He bought it from a guy that started to modify it, but got it before too much was hacked up. He's finished the "alterations" to bring it back to stock...but he's not sure how to finish it. Plus...he's got four "other" cars he's working on..

I'll show im "pictures of your car" to get him motivated..to get going on his.

Mike

Comment

I wouldn't be in such a hurry to lose the torsion bars. Had them on an Alfetta, and loved them. If they are splined differently front and back (a common arrangement), they're just about infinitely weight-jackable, and they lay off their stresses mid-frame, often eliminating the need for spring-perch gussetting in the fore-quarters.

That reminded me that there is a piece of public sculpture on the Detroit waterfront, just south of RenCen, that consists of a square shaft section twisted through almost a full turn as the shape ascends. Wags used to call it the "Monument to the Unknown Chrysler Suspension Engineer."

Just me, or does that Kellison sort of cry out for heat-shrouded side pipes, a la Corvette? I don't like them on everything, but I'd like them on an Avanti, for instance. And they'd sure look right on the J6, especially with a flat section on top of the shroud to use as a running-board. I mean a step.

Comment

Mike,
                            I gotta tell ya that its been easy to be motivated to work on this car. Keeping the body on the driveway in constant view is mesmerizing. I got a windshield from Roy which is the one piece. Though I did see some pix of a Kellison that was using the two piece windshield from a 50 Champion and I loved it. So now Roy is keeping his eyes out for a two piece windshield for me. I'm thinking of using a piece of stainless on the rear glass as well. Sort of a split window treatment in the back.
                            comatus,
                            I'm not in a hurry to lose the torsion bars. That consideration is due to engine placement. I'll be getting the engine/trans this week. Once I do a trial fitting of the engine, that will determine whether or not the torsion bars stay or go. Simplicity of course, says to keep them, but oil pan and bellhousing may dictate removal. Thanks for the observation, tho.
                            sals54

Comment

Working...
                            X