They're Everywhere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They're Everywhere

Stude people that is. While filling up our car at Sam's Club gas station yesterday a man asked what kind of engine we had. He recognized our custom '53 as a Studebaker, which is pretty unusual. He then said his uncle had worked in South Bend's truck design department and he still had two of his uncle's service pins. When you consider this happened in little Yuma, AZ, after most of the snowbirds have left, it is a very surprising occurence.

By the way, last night was the first night our car has been in our garage after the 2+ years restoration process.
    Last edited by paintim613; 05-08-2011, 05:50 PM.
    Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
    jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

2+ years restoraion process and NO pictures of the finished product. Come, it's called "Show and tell"
    Anyway, I'd like to see your '53.

Dick
    Mountain Home, AR
    http://www.livingintheozarks.com/studebaker2.htm

Comment

I am hesitant to post again, but since you asked......

Jim's Rod Shop: Restoring Vintage Cars and Hot Rods in Yuma, Arizona

Comment

Why "hesitant"?
        Looks great to me!
        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Thats a real beaut of a ute!
          John
          1950 Champion
          W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
          Holdrege NE

Comment

I was hesitant to post pics again as I have done so numerous times before. The car's history is unique. My wife's dad and uncle cutomized it in 1955-59 in Custer, SD, using parts from 17 cars. After being a parade car, it was parked about 30 years ago. We bought it from the uncle in 2003 and brought it to Yuma. After 5 1/2 years of wasting time and money with amateur resto guys, we got it to a real pro here in 2009. As the pics show, he does excellent work. We added PS and AC (Yuma is toasty in the summer), and converted to 12 V. The windshield, bumpers, headlights, tail lights, hood, hood ornament, exterior emblems (except for "Continental" script emblem on hood), exterior mirrors, wheel covers, dash, radio, steering wheel/horn button are all original or period correct Stude. We kept the original 232 V-8 and transmission w/overdrive with less than 19K miles on them. One of the above pictures shows the roof can be stored in the trunk. We showed it for the first time in early March here at 1000+ car show (Midnight at the Oasis) and were swarmed all day as no one had seen anything like it before. In fact, my wife was interviewed by local cable channel to tell the car's history. We have been contacted by Hemmings Motor News about an article, but plan to submit it to TW and Bill Jackameit first.
            Last edited by paintim613; 05-09-2011, 09:57 AM.

Comment

WOW doesn't even come close!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

The maintenance guy at the complex with the garage I'm renting to work on the Lark is originally from South Bend. Of course, he doesn't think as higly of Studeaker as I do.
                '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Working...
                X