PDA

View Full Version : flightomatic trans

DWard
05-20-2007, 06:59 PM
I have'nt found anyone to ask a question about a Studebaker Flightomatic transmission. The problem is --it hesitates just before it drops into first gear. Other than that it's doing great. The previous owner says he had it rebuilt. I've gone thru the book, and checked everything I can without tearing it down. The linkage is pretty "touchy" in that if it is'nt adjusted just right it will slip on upshift or grab too aggressively on upshift. The manual says that if the pressure is too low it will also cause a slippage on upshift or if the pressure is too high it will cause it to grab too much. There is a plug on the side to install a hydraulic gage to check the pressure. The readings are suppose to be between 50psi and about 80psi. I get 62psi. The book says low pressure will also cause the problem I have, but according to the above reading, I should be ok, but of course it still hesitates. Is there a Studebaker transmission person around Ohio --I live between Cincinnati & Dayton. Iv'e tried a few transmission shops but no one seems to know much about this so far. One owner says he refuses to work on anything older than he is(he was kidding--actually a nice guy). If anyone is a flightomatic expert, contact me---Regards Dan

DWard
05-20-2007, 07:09 PM
Thank you Mr. Biggs!--Regards--Dan

Roscomacaw
05-20-2007, 07:24 PM
You need to call and talk to John Metzker. He's the official tech rep for the Flight-o-matics.

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle
http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/906179/2006/12/7/truckonhill3.jpg

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe