PDA

View Full Version : Can the wizards of trivia tell me....

64V-K7
05-05-2011, 03:44 PM
.....how many Avantis were produced with a 3 speed manual.... and I'm presuming the trans was a t-86... eh?

thanks

jts359
05-05-2011, 03:49 PM
I have one , The numbers produced I heard were 22 or 76 , Go figure

StudeRich
05-05-2011, 06:22 PM
I really don't think it matters how many there were because in this case especially, low Production does NOT relate to high value!

Most likely, most of the "under strength" T-86 3 Speeds were the no Power Steering '64 R1's that were given away in the Allstate Tire Promotion Contest in '64 that have very low value because of poor driveability and durability.

Jim B PEI
05-05-2011, 06:22 PM
And of course, none of them had overdrive because 1) R1 and 2) R2 were way too strong for a T86 with overdrive, and it "wouldn't fit anyway" without serious re-engineering of the tunnel to accommodate the overdrive unit (right?) which wasn't going to happen with a latest thing 4 speed on hand, and how many common or garden 289s were going to be fitted anyway with manuals?

Has anyone successfully done a T86 (or the stronger 57-58 Golden Hawk T85) with overdrive conversion to an Avanti? For modern day cruising with a lighter foot, I thing you could get a slightly cooler running and less thirsty Avanti with 3 and overdrive than a 4 speed.

Gunslinger
05-05-2011, 06:43 PM
Put a Tremec 5- or 6- speed in the car and just idle down the highway at 75-80 mph. Not a lot of power in double overdrive but think of the increased gas mileage and less wear on the engine. On might need a smaller a/c pulley to keep it working efficiently, though.

05-05-2011, 07:26 PM
.....how many Avantis were produced with a 3 speed manual.... and I'm presuming the trans was a t-86... eh?

thanks
Check with George Krem. He told me this a couple months ago-
" Hi, Paul,
Nice to hear from you. You might be interested to hear that, a few years ago, I put hundreds of hours into putting the data from every Studebaker Avanti production order into a computer. Thanks to my brother-in-law, who is a professor at the University of Wisconsin (and who teaches courses in statistics), we came up with well over 30 pages of data not available anywhere else.
I have donated this material to the Studebaker National Museum. They are working on a monograph about the Studebaker Avanti which will include that data plus a number of unpublished photos and other items. They hope to have it ready for sale by the May South Bend swap meet. They tell me that the Super Studebakers monograph-which contained my computer research on R-engined Larks and Hawks-is their best seller, so I hope this one will sell well, too.
Just to whet your appetite (in case your '64 Avanti has an adjustable steering wheel), Studebaker made exactly 97 1964 Avantis with that option. That's the kind of thing that will be available with this publication.
I'm looking forward to seeing it in print after several years of delay.
George"

BobPalma
05-05-2011, 09:14 PM
You're in luck, Bob and others, who are interested in this type of Avanti trivia.

The Studebaker National Museum Avanti Monologue George references will contain every iota of trivial Avanti production information you can imagine and is being published this week.

Copies may be available at The Studebaker Indiana Swap Meet this weekend (May 5/6/7), but it will be a stretch.

Nelson Bove and I have been working with George and Andy Beckman at the museum, proof-reading the "final" of this tome over the last couple weeks. It's impressive. BP

JRoberts
05-05-2011, 09:41 PM
The R1 engine in my Champ is backed by a T86 with overdrive. No problems ever.

This is an interesting post ithread in that a few weeks ago our chapter attened a car show in Carolina Beach and I had a discussion with a guy who was trying to buy a GT Hawk that his father had sold to the present owner new. The dealership was in Candor, North Carolina. The car has an R2 with a three speed overdrive and was sold that way new. I had never heard of such a set up, but then again there is a lot I have never heard of before.

Gunslinger
05-05-2011, 10:33 PM
The R1 engine in my Champ is backed by a T86 with overdrive. No problems ever.

You know that transmission will now break on you. Never shoulda said that...they are not inanimate objects. They KNOW when you're talking about them and will whatever it takes to let you know who is in charge.

StudeRich
05-06-2011, 12:01 AM
Joe if someone swapped a Avanti/Lark/Hawk R1 Engine into your Truck, it most likely had a V-8 with Overdrive from the factory, which would be the H.D. T-85/T-89 Overdrive Trans. which has many of the same parts as the T10 4 Speed, so it would be more than capable of handling the 240 HP High Performance R1 Engine. :)

studegary
05-06-2011, 01:06 PM
Of the Avantis that I have owned and the many more that I have worked on (plus more that I have seen at shows), I only remember ONE with three speed standard transmission. I remember more than one Avanti with tilt wheel.

jts359
05-06-2011, 09:59 PM
Our 63 Avanti with the three speed was a ordered car and is a R-1,And is NOT a ALLSTATE CAR ! It has been a N.J. car all its life and its as rust free as one can find , It has twin traction and non p/s but with the quicker p/s box , Here's one for the trivia buffs What does TESTED ON ROLLERS mean ? That statement is on the build sheet, Also the former owner told me That Rodger Ward may have driven it during a parade lap at the 12 hour Continental race at Daytona in Feb 1964 a fact I have not been able to confirm,

StudeRich
05-07-2011, 01:45 AM
The only thing I can think of that makes any sense is; a chassis Dynamometer.

63t-cab
05-07-2011, 09:58 AM
I only ever saw one with 3spd.,it was white with orange and fawn interior and really looked nice with that combo.

2R5
05-07-2011, 10:53 AM
I agree with Joe , I also have a Champ truck with a built up 289 , that was dinoed at 260 hp and behind it is a T86 OD tranny ....been there for 10 years without problems.
Its dragged and beat a GT R2 hawk and a few others....its definately not babied.

Da Tinman
05-07-2011, 11:22 AM
The only thing I can think of that makes any sense is; a chassis Dynamometer.

may have been just a set of rollers in the floor, load up the car, chock it place, run it thru the gears, yep it works,, NEXT!

not a expert on Stude factory testing proceedures so if I'm incorrect dont shoot me.

JRoberts
05-07-2011, 11:48 AM
Joe if someone swapped a Avanti/Lark/Hawk R1 Engine into your Truck, it most likely had a V-8 with Overdrive from the factory, which would be the H.D. T-85/T-89 Overdrive Trans. which has many of the same parts as the T10 4 Speed, so it would be more than capable of handling the 240 HP High Performance R1 Engine. :)

The engine was put in by the previous owner. The transmission he had behind it was a pretty stout and low geared unit. I was told it was a T-90 w/od, but when I removed it (geared much too low for me) it had T-86 on the transmission itself. He had used to the truck to tow a small trailer with parts he sold as a vendor. I put a T-86 w/od that came our of a car and the gearing is much better suited to my use. I also get much better gas mileage with the present transmission (Between 18 and 19 mpg on the highway!)