CASO question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: CASO question

How much money can be saved by buying the turner economy disc conversion kit and sourcing the other parts from the big chain stores
    Mark Riesch
    New Bern, NC

Little to none. Did that with the front and didn't bother doing it with the back.

ErnieR

Comment

Originally posted by bige View Post
      Little to none. Did that with the front and didn't bother doing it with the back.

ErnieR
      I'll agree but it could be argued that with a great deal of judicious shopping you may save some. At issue though, is the fact that Jim's system will be of known quality that is sure to match and includes the hoses and other items that may be tough to source. My bet is that you would spend more in gas than you'll save in $'s.

JMO

Bob

Comment

I recommend buying the complete kit from Jim as it contains all of the parts you will need for the installation and all of the parts are top quality. I don't think that you will save more than a few bucks and spend a bunch of time by shopping for the needed parts missing from the economy kit. Bud

Comment

I recently bought the front disk deluxe kit and dual m/c deluxe kit from Turner. Jim has a list on his site of all the components, and I did a little bit of price comparison with on-line vendors such as Rock Auto--who are typically very inexpensive--and it quickly became apparent that I wasn't saving any money by trying to be cheap. Plus Jim's a great guy to work with so if there were a tiny amount of profit in there for his time, I was glad to give it to him.
          Dave Nevin
          Corvallis, OR
          1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
          Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Do yourself a favor and just get the Turner kit.One shot, one kill.And as others have indicated,Mr. Turner is a nice fellow and stands behind what he sells.Some things on my car are 'CASO-rigged' or 'hound-dogged', but not my brakes. You'll thank yourself later.
            *Disclaimer:Just my humble opinion.Your money, your ride.*

Comment

It all depends on how much work you want to put into it and how much money you have. I went and even cheaper route and bought some bracket s from Dave Lavesque and sourced the parts from eBay a few years back. apart from the brackets, which he eventually through in the bearings because of a delay, the most expensive part I used were the S/S brake lines, at $75. That was my option as rubber could have been used. I picked up a pair of fully loaded calipers that were rebuilt and from a closed down brake shop for $40 then ground off the little hump, a set of Hawk Racing rotors, slotted but not drilled from the Mustang depot for $70. The total with all the small parts came to less than $350 and that included caliper paint, which I also used on the center of the rotors. http://community.webshots.com/album/...host=community
              Last edited by Guest; 05-07-2011, 06:23 AM.

Comment

How much difference did you feel , by changing to disc brakes
                I have a car without Power brakes , I am thinking about changing to front disc's

Comment

Braking performance over all was like chalk and cheese. Tremendous difference. I can stop as well, if not better because of the weight of the car, than many cars on the road today. Now I don't have to worry about cars on the freeway stopping and me running into the back of them. That was the reason for the swap. Before the brakes were all fine because the car had less than 30K miles from new and the system had been gone through with new hoses and such but stopping distance was like original drum brake from 1959. They would stop the car but not like a newer car with twenty first century technology. The thought of modifying the engine to go faster but still stopping 50 feet longer that those cars around me was a sobering thought.

With no power assist and the original master cylinder it was a little harder but nothing more really, it just felt that the harder I pushed the quicker I stopped and I liked to push the car hard. I'm going to swap to a split system with a Mitsubishi Eclipse master cylinder and GM proportioning valve as well as front and rear residual check valves and still will not be using power assist. That is said now but once it's setup I might have to use a different size master cylinder as this is where the pedal pressure will come from. But I have done the calc's and it should be fine.
                  Last edited by Guest; 05-07-2011, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Installed the complete Turner front system except for the master cyl. (Wanted a remote fill). All went quite well w/ a few questions, which Mr Turner answered quickly. Car stops great (have been experimenting w/ different brake pads ffffffor the best balance between ease and fade resistance).
                    Purchasing the complete system eliminates the need to match parts bought separately, esp. caliper to M/C. Also, if you have a question for Turner, and have his complete system, it is easier to determine a solution to a possible problem (ei: having a wrong part is not the problem).
                    Great person to work with.
                    Paul TK

Comment

I used the Turner brake kit and everything fit and it has worked trouble free for about a year now. A friend made his own and saved a few $$ but had to try various part to make it work. Be careful these thing may save your life. It only cost a little bit more to get by cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Keller View Post
                        Installed the complete Turner front system except for the master cyl. (Wanted a remote fill). All went quite well w/ a few questions, which Mr Turner answered quickly. Car stops great (have been experimenting w/ different brake pads ffffffor the best balance between ease and fade resistance).
                        Purchasing the complete system eliminates the need to match parts bought separately, esp. caliper to M/C. Also, if you have a question for Turner, and have his complete system, it is easier to determine a solution to a possible problem (ei: having a wrong part is not the problem).
                        Great person to work with.
                        Paul TK
                        Paul
                        What remote fill master did you end using? And has anyone used a remote booster??
                        Brian
                        Brian Woods
                        woodysrods@shaw.ca
                        1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Working...
                        X