Avanti Door Sill Protectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Door Sill Protectors

As much as I want to keep my '63 Avanti stock, I am reluctant to spend $400 on reproduction door sill protectors. I don't really mind the cost, buy they are awfully tacky looking. Are there any alternatives? Has anyone fabricated aluminum or stainless protectors?

I know the feeling BUT I figured if I am lucky enough to actually own an Avanti I would spring for new sills. It will be a while before I can actually afford to restore my car; but when I do, at least I will have new sills to install (I bought a pair in Cedar Rapids a couploe years ago & they are on my shelf. As far as trying to bend some up... You might talk to a good heating shop in your area and they might be able to fabricate some.... you may have $200 in them & they won't be right... so I think I would just start saving for the real thing.
    I still don't believe how much I had to spend for flimsy reproductions for my 1953 coupe... I am afraid to even breathe on them for fear of bending them.

Comment

I have a set of the 64-up style (ribbed rubber) with stainless trim if you are interested $125.00 + shipping. JS
      I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

They were expensive. But I sure like the $400 replacements in mine.
        edp/NC
        \'63 Avanti
        \'66 Commander

Comment

Originally posted by edpjr View Post
          They were expensive. But I sure like the $400 replacements in mine.

It's easy to use some Home Depot ribbed matting cut to width and trimmed with stainless counter trim or the like.
          JDP Maryland

Comment

I dunno how handy you are with composite materials, or how much it would cost either, but I thought a set done in carbon fiber would look pretty trick in a Avanti. Just my 2 cents.......
            Dylan Wills
            Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
            1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
            1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
            1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Working...
            X