Caliper piston needed 64 Cruiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caliper piston needed 64 Cruiser

While replacing the pads and having the rotors turned I discovered that one of the caliper pistons is damaged. The slotted pin on the end of one of the pistons is crushed (mushroomed over) and I will not be able to get the new pad on. Looks like is ocurred when the pads were last replaced. I have looked at the vendor sites but have not found a replacement piston. Anyone have any ideas?

Most Stude vendors carry the caliper/piston assemble (each car would take 4 of these). About $90. PN 1558182

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thanks, found it. Just one more quick quistion. Is there a difference between the two blocks that make up the caliper or are they the same, just reversed?

Comment

All 4 calipers are the same.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

I love this forum!!!!

Comment

I can send you a good used piston for $20 to your door.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
            63 Avanti R1
            63 Daytona convert
            63 Lark 2 door
            62 Lark 2 door
            60 Lark HT-60Hawk
            59 3E truck
            58 Starlight
            52 & 53 Starliner
            51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Can send you a good used one for $4.65 to your door.[}]

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Yeah boy! I got stung on an ebay sale I made the week before the postage went up. My own fault, but.... Between underGUESStimating the weight of a piece all boxed up and ready to go PLUS not factoring in the postage increase by the time I'd get it on it's way - I was $2.55 IN THE HOLE when it left my hands at the post office!
                My faith in humanity was restored tho when the buyer made up the difference - a difference of TWENTY BUCKS!

And studecruiser, I wasn't joking. I have some pistons lying about here. For postage you can try your luck with one - or two.[^]

The Biggsian Theorum: "Whatever it takes to put another Stude back on the road!"

Miscreant adrift in
                the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Bob,

You have probably heard my story about selling a Drott 4 in 1 bucket for a front end loader on e-bay. The guy sent $1400 to me for the item and to cover shipping, it ended up weighing 1000 pounds more than I thought and shipping alone was more than the sale price.

Gary

Comment

Yeah, I remember I've shot myself in the foot with shipping before, but this was the first time the shipping exceeded the total invoice I'd sent the guy!

I sold something awhile back - a couple pieces of moulding it was. Got stung on that one to the tune of about 30 bucks because of it's odd shape and consequent oversize measurement by USPS rules. I sent them to the buyer (someone you'd know - but doesn't attend this forum as far as I know)and asked for help with the extra postage. I'da been happy if he'd split the difference with me. Not a dime tho, did he offer up.
                    I'll remember that next time he bids on something of mine.[}]

Speaking of such things, I just sold a drivers door window regulator. It was in FINE working order and had no visible wear whatsoever. Ran up and down as smooth as silk. Buyer informed me he was sending it back for a refund. Reason? - "not worth it" - "it" being the $19 bucks and change he'd won it for. Now - where ya gonna find a great-working regulator for a drivers door for less than 20 bucks??? Then he wanted me to pay the return postage as well! Right!

Miscreant adrift in
                    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Did you try using a small screwdriver and prying the pin back out to
                      the correct height? Then use a thicker one to keep under the pin and
                      tap it flat with a ball peen hammer. You should be able to work it
                      back into semi-perfect shape as long as it doesnt break off. Just go
                      slow and cover the openings on the piston with a rag since when you
                      hit the pin it might shoot brake fluid out. I had one like this years
                      ago and part of the pin broke off, but the pad still stayed on fine.

Tom

quote:Originally posted by studecruiser

While replacing the pads and having the rotors turned I discovered that one of the caliper pistons is damaged. The slotted pin on the end of one of the pistons is crushed (mushroomed over)
                      '63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                      '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                      Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                      http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                      I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Working...
                      X