1503 miles to St Louis in a 57 president V8 or a 60 6cyl wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1503 miles to St Louis in a 57 president V8 or a 60 6cyl wagon

Hmm, via Kansas in one or the other stolen from John and Tracy vehicle with no air. One week to get there one week back ( i don't travel like most folks, I'm a sucker for weird America) Chances of making it there and back trouble free. Adventure or recipe for disaster.

Sounds like a great adventure. Photograph whichever car you drive next to every roadside attraction that you stop at. Have fun!
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

The president will be a more comfortable ride.
      Mabel 1949 Champion
      Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
      Gus 1958 Transtar
      The Prez 1955 President State
      Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
      Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
      Fresno,Ca

Comment

Originally posted by Anne F. Goodman View Post
        The president will be a more comfortable ride.
        It may be the better one to take but "stealing" it from Tracy may be tough. The wagons easier i already stole it (aka borowed it for just a little while 3 months ago) Not sure I'm going to attempt it yet, but I'm sure thinking about it. May end up getting it in better shape and doing the 2012 meet instead.

Comment

Which ever vehicle you choose, it will be an adventure.
          I envision look out posts watching and reporting each waypoint of your trip,
          signaling AOK,

Kansas should be driven at night.
          Weird is Good
          Wear the rainbow wig and there shouldn't be ANY problem getting breakdown help.
          61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Took my preschool son with me to South Bend one May in a '56 Pelham (6 cyl 3 spd O/D)
            Put on over 900 miles.
            Made it just fine.

Comment

I would take John's truck if it were me.
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

Well I've got it figured out that I'm going to use 122 gal to go to the International ( and back )
                Hard to put a price on that the way the price seems to change daily.....but heck we are going !
                sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

A spare water pump and alway you GO!

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                    I would take John's truck if it were me.
                    Not me. 1. I'm 6' 4" and am a chunky monkey at 241 (according to zip line scales) i can not see myself hunched over like Quasimodo for 1500 + miles at 45 MPH sucking on hot air, floorboard heat, and exhaust fumes. I can barely remember my name now, by the time i got to Kansas I'd be flirting with the Dorthy statue at Oz land and telling her i was John Wayne's better looking brother.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgegaurd View Post
                      Adventure or recipe for disaster.
                      That'll depend on the level of preparation you put into the ride you choose.
                      I have driven my '57 Commander cross-country twice!!! The first was Los Angeles, CA to Jacksonville, FL. Later it went from Jacksonville, FL to San Diego- by way of South Bend, IN!!!! My Cruiser has done many more long distance runs- way too many to list here unless you really want me to...

I'd say in my 25 years of StudeDriving and more then a dozen long distance trips- the worst problem I have had was when I had to reset the points in the Commander in a Taco Bell parking lot somewhere in Texas. I don't count the tire I lost in Montana- it was on the U-Haul trailer I was towing!!!

If you properly prepare the car- it'll be worry free. If you don't it won't.
                      StudeDave '57
                      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                      SDC Member since 1985

past President
                      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                      San Diego Chapter SDC
                      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I'd take the President, Phil. I've taken a few long rides on a '60 bench seat and it's not too comfortable on the back and leg muscles without cruise control to occasionally relieve some of that body stress. As Dave said above, decent preparation is really the key. I'd add having more than a bit of good luck to that preparation list. Having better luck on a long trip comes with being well prepared, though; minimizes the bad luck.
                        You know all this, though. You're a well prepared guy. What about that taxi????? Come on...a real adventure there!

Comment

Originally posted by barnlark View Post
                          I'd add having more than a bit of good luck to that preparation list. Having better luck on a long trip comes with being well prepared, though; minimizes the bad luck.
                          You know all this, though. You're a well prepared guy. What about that taxi????? Come on...a real adventure there!
                          No taxi, roof is not finished yet, hopefully it's sold or soon will be, 31 sedan is next. Have sold about 1/3 of the stuff I've collected, rest will go soon. I'm getting down to just sharing the kids stuff when i can. And doing without when i can't. (I haven't asked Tracy or John about taking one of their cars on the trip yet) And i haven't decided if I'm going to do St Louis or wait till South Bend. Defiantly not going to do it in Johns truck the advantage of being able to camp in the back does not outweigh the discomfort of long distance in the cab.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgegaurd View Post
                            ..... And i haven't decided if I'm going to do St Louis or wait till South Bend. Defiantly not going to do it in Johns truck .
                            So you're "DEFIANTLY" not going to use Johns truck? Why so defiantly? (grin). Maybe definitely???

When you first posted I assumed you were going to St. Louis to meet someone but now when you mention it with waiting till South Bend, I'm curious if you're talking about the International in Springfield? Totally different part of our fine state (St. Louis -central east side vs Springfield southwestern corner) and about 200 miles closer to you if you come the southern route thru Texas/Oklahoma.
                            \'57 3E6-12 Transtar Deluxe
                            \'64 Daytona HT

Comment

Originally posted by snowy_buffalo View Post
                              So you're "DEFIANTLY" not going to use Johns truck? Why so defiantly? (grin). Maybe definitely???

When you first posted I assumed you were going to St. Louis to meet someone but now when you mention it with waiting till South Bend, I'm curious if you're talking about the International in Springfield? Totally different part of our fine state (St. Louis -central east side vs Springfield southwestern corner) and about 200 miles closer to you if you come the southern route thru Texas/Oklahoma.
                              If i go to the Springfield meet i will be going to St Louis first, dump the Stude and ride with a relative up to my hometown of Peoria, ILL. for a family reunion. Thats why i would take the upper route and then back down to Springfield. And i have people i want to visit going that way. That's why i would make it a two or even three week trip. Then i would head over to Granbury, TX from Springfield and wander back to AZ. from there. I am being very "defiant" about any plan to drive the truck that far. I'll leave that to the hardy boys.

Comment

Working...
                              X