Studebaker-Chrysler Identification Number Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker-Chrysler Identification Number Machine

The attached picture is of a friend of mine who worked at a Chrysler Plant in Rockford, IL, using a machine to mark identification numbers on the front and back of Chrysler Automobiles as they came down the line. He insist that the same machine had been used in the Studebaker factory prior to Chrysler getting it.

Let me know what you think.

Well, when I click on Manage Attachments to add the picture, I get a message telling me, "Errors on this webpage might cause it to work incorrectly," with no option to add the picture. So, if someone can comment as to the likelihood of the machine being used in the picture that I cannot show you, please let me know.
    sigpicJimmie
    Orange County, Indiana
    1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

Could you possibly be referring to the Chrysler plant in "Belvidere" IL, because a "lot" of Studebaker equipment & personnel ended up there??
    Last edited by Welcome; 05-01-2011, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Yes, it was Belvedere, IL. So lots of things ended up there? Do you know of any place (article, book, etc.) where I could read about this?
      sigpicJimmie
      Orange County, Indiana
      1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmie View Post
        Yes, it was Belvedere, IL. So lots of things ended up there? Do you know of any place (article, book, etc.) where I could read about this?
        No books, articles, etc. about that I’m aware of. I heard it (rather over-heard it) directly from former Studebaker employees themselves.

FYI: Back in the ’64-’65 timeframe your"VALUE" to Chrysler-Belvedere was your expertise/experience ...and what all you could bring from your former job at Studebakers.

Comment

Please try again to upload the photo of the machine. I'd love to see what it looked like. There was a rumor I heard once that the Studebaker machine had survived and was in the hands of a collector. Anyone know the truth of that? I've wondered how to make a replacement body tag with the rounded letters embossed from the back side. I once got a quote on a set of letter & number punches to do that, but at over $1000 it wasn't practical. Getting the letters and numbers lined up exactly is difficult with hand-held number dies.
          Gary Ash
          Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
          ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
          '48 M5
          '65 Wagonaire Commander
          '63 Wagonaire Standard
          web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Working...
          X