No announcement yet.

My Lark has no pep or get up and go!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: My Lark has no pep or get up and go!

I have just bought a 1963 Studebaker Lark. It is an automatic 6- cylinder. My husband has changed the spark plugs and added something to the gas because the gas may have been in there a long time. It idles good but when driving it , it just has no power--it can hardly make it up a small hill. Does anyone have an idea as to what we need to check next? Also, it needs transmission fluid--any certain type we should get? Thanks so much for your help. My dad worked at the Jarrett Chewning Studebaker dealership when I was a little girl and I love Studebakers.

Welcome to the forum. It would help to know where you are located. The Studebaker Drivers Club is one of the worlds largest car clubs. There are chapters in every state and some have multiple chapters. Knowing where you are could help get you in touch with local Studebaker fans who could provide you some help.

As for pep, make sure the points are adjusted properly. There are shop manuals available that give every detail and spec required to get your engine adjusted. The reason I mentioned points is that they are sensitive and a slight maladjustment can cause a loss of power and response. There are other adjustments, like the carburetor but unless you are experienced, I would suggest seeking some additional help.

Welcome to our forum, keep us informed and post some pictures when you can. We love pictures.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Drain the fuel tank, change the fuel filter if it has one.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

? I drained the tank on my last car and it wouldn't even run! (let alone have any pep!!)
        Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
        Drain the fuel tank, change the fuel filter if it has one.

jack vines
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Welcome!

Since it's a 6 cylinder automatic.. You simply won't have any power. I drove a '63 Lark 6 with auto for a while.. It wouldn't get out of its own way.
          Last edited by mbstude; 04-29-2011, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Check the fuel line. It may be clogged enough to let the gas start the engine, but not to let it full flow. As mbstude says, don't expect miracles, but it should be at least acceptable, with enough power for a small hill. You might also benefit from the old trick of putting the transmission in low manually to start, then moving the lever to drive after you get going. For some reason, the factory decided to start out in second gear. You can start in first if you put it in first manually.

Comment

mandcmom, with regarrd to auto trans fluid, I've always been advised to use either Dextron/Mercon or "Type F" in these old studebakers.
              Joe D.

Comment

As said by another...that engine just doesn't have much power inside it..!
                I have one in my wagon (same engine). Having a manual trans. helps...a little. But even then, the gas pedals on or near the floor most of the time.
                Knowing a V-8 is on the way helps mine along a little..!

Verifying the valve adjustment is correct, verifying the point and carburetor adjustment may also help, as may fresh fuel.
                One thing that helped mine...a little, was to increase the ignition timing to what the engine wants, not nesessarly what the book says.

Just know..."nothing" will give it the zip you want or expect, without spending a lot of time and money on hot rod parts.
                Maybe a V-8 is in your future..?

Have fun...

Mike

Comment

Start with the easy stuff first.

In addition to the suggestions above, also replace the air filter.
                  A friend got a rust-free '65 Barracuda for $500 because it had the same symptoms you described. $6 later it ran like a top for three years and sold for $2400.

Proper transmission fluid level is essential, for sure. As to manually selecting "L", I thought 6cyl./auto cars had first gear start, didn't they?
                  Andy
                  62 GT

Comment

I thought 6cyl./auto cars had first gear start, didn't they?
                    Some did, some didn't. I know my old 1955 "C" body didn't, but it would go like scat if you started in first.

Comment

This is a 1 barrel to 2 barrel adapter...this will give you more pep and then look into an electronic ignition...you have to enlarge the 2 bolt holes a little

Comment

Have it checked to makes sure the muffler or tailpipe is not plugged up, have seen this several times on older vehicles, where mice have filled the muffler & pipes with their nests, mud wasps can plug 'em up too. This can really cut down on the power.

Comment

Working...
                        X