diagnose vacuum wiper trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: diagnose vacuum wiper trouble

I don't know a thing about vacuum wipers. I assumed if the motor needed repairing, they just would not work at all. Mine sort of works.
    For my test tonight I had the motor off, holding it in my hand. Started the motor and stuck a good vacuum source on. If I slide the switch bar to the left, the motor turns. And stops. If I slide the switch bar to the right, the motor turns the other way. And stops.
    So the shaft can go through it's entire travel OK, but just one time. What's it mean?
    I guess when it rains I could sit in the car and crank the switch back and forth 50 times a minute...but that might just distract my driving.

Send it to Ficken; unless the problem is the vacuum sucks. How many inches of vacuum is required for proper operation? Ask Ficken.
    Last edited by rockne10; 04-28-2011, 07:42 PM.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I believe it is 14-16.

Comment

My dilema - If I'm going to spend 100 for The wiperman, why not spend a bit more and just go electric? Car is already newly wired, 12V, and I've already filled a hole in the dash with a wiper switch.
        Ah, but on the other hand, the car will rarely see rain. And there is something kind of quaint about the old vacuum setup. I'm sure it would be fine. So I thought I'd take a crack at fixing it.

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
          unless the problem is the vacuum sucks. http://www.wiperman.com/
          THAT IS TOO DARN FUNNY!!!! In my business, sucking is good. (pool pumps, wiseguys)

Comment

I have not done this myself but I have seen it done. At least on the motor I saw there was a leather flap inside the motor that flips back and forth to route the vacuum inside the motor. That either gets stiff and hard (ha ha!) or dirt keeps it from sealing. Carefully take the cover off the motor (keep the gasket intact--pain to cut a new one), remove the leather bit, and clean and oil the leather. Saddle soap and mink oil were what I saw used. If the leather is too far gone it will have to be replaced which is probably more trouble/expense then sending the motor out to be fixed. As long as you don't break anything taking the motor apart I don't see that you have anything to lose.

Nathan

Comment

You are right Nathan, nothing to lose but some time. A dis-assembly and a little cleaning got this motor working again. The main paddle inside was in relatively good shape. Did re-grease the seal a bit.
              There is a cover on the front of the unit, only 2 screws to remove it. I think my trouble was in here anyway. Inside is an aluminum cam with a spring device that snaps back and forth. Not sure what I did but it all works again. Pretty strong on it's own. But once the linkage and wiper arms are installed the true action on the glass is pretty pathetic.
              I'm happy. For zero dollars invested now I can see what the vacuum system actually delivers. (not much.)
              Will switch to electric at some point.

Comment

Dan,
                Sounds like good news! The vacuum wipers are not all that great at the best of times. So they are probably working "like new". I need to get mine back together. I took the arms off to clean them 5 years ago and never put them back on. I don't drive in the rain anyway. My motor is probably not working again by now...

Nathan

Comment

I had to rework the vacuum wipers in my '37 Olds. They have been working fine for a year or so but I will probably have to look it over again this year. Oldsmobile made available a two stage fuel pump with the second stage being used as a vacuum pump for the wipers. I have one but have not yet installed it. I don't know weather Studebaker had a two stage fuel pump and both my Studes have electric wipers.
                  sigpic
                  55 President Deluxe
                  64 Commander
                  66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Not that I ever saw but it is was a good idea. On my car the second wiper was an option. Someone did a CASO second wiper installation by rigging a second motor and hooking them both to the control knob. So the motors are sharing the meager vacuum and run poorly. Someday I will track down the factory wiper transmission and do it right.
                    My old '84 VW GTI had a vacuum reservoir under the hood (just a tank with a hose on it). Something like that tucked up under the dash might help keep the wiper speed a little more constant . Or just don't drive in the rain...

Comment

Ficken rebuilt the wiper motor on my '47 Champion several years ago. I continue to be very pleased with the results.

At the time, I asked what service or maintenance the wiper motor should have. He replied, "Just use them as often as possible."

When you take the wiper motor out, note very carefully exactly where the control cable is placed where it is attached to the motor. When reinstalling, the screw and washer which hold the cable in place on the motor should be snug, but must not be over-tightened, or the cable will not be able to move and turn the motor on and off.
                      Bill Jarvis

Comment

The best stuff to lubricate a vacuum wiper motor is glycerine which can be injected into the motor with a syringe through the vacuum hose connection. With the paddle at one side of its stroke inject a small amount of glycerine. Cycle the motor a few times by hand. With the paddle at the opposite end of its stroke repeat the injection and cycle again. Leave it for 24-48 hours before testing. Glycerine is available at your local drug store. I use a diabetic syringe which our drug stores here give out free of charge. (No, I'm not diabetic, and they don't ask. )

Do not test the operation on a dry windshield. Either hose down the windshield or put a piece of paper under the blade. With the engine idling, the wiper blades should be cycling quite rapidly. Keep in mind that an engine that needs a tuneup will affect wiper operation.

Terry

Comment

If you get them working properly you will still wish for electric when you are driving in a hard rain and start up a hill or accelerate for some reason. I would suspect that a cam that reduced available vacuum would cause trouble also.
                          "In the heart of Arkansas."
                          Searcy, Arkansas
                          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Don't know which year car you have, but on a 1950 you can installe the electric setupo from a 51 or 52 easily - yuo have to bang on the cowl with a sledge hamer once or twice to make it fit - don't hit it too hard. I've installed electrics several times in 50 Land Cruisers.

Comment

The wiper pump on my 1950 Champion has 2 nipples for connection of vacuum lines. There is one nipple on each side. The right side nipple is connected via hose to the tube that connects at the intake manifold. The left side tube is presently just open, i.e. not connected. Should the left side be connected somewhere, or blocked off?

Comment

Working...
                              X