1958 packard hawk hood question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1958 packard hawk hood question

I have a question for any of you Studebaker gurus out there. Does anybody know if a 1958 Packard Hawk hood and the front nose cone section (by the bumper) will fit on a 1957 to 1961 Studebaker Hawk series car? If so, does anyone make a reproduction hood and nose cone section? I would imagine the original hoods would be impossible to get. Thanks.

Originally posted by miltjanosz View Post
    I have a question for any of you Studebaker gurus out there. Does anybody know if a 1958 Packard Hawk hood and the front nose cone section (by the bumper) will fit on a 1957 to 1961 Studebaker Hawk series car? If so, does anyone make a reproduction hood and nose cone section? I would imagine the original hoods would be impossible to get. Thanks.
    You could replace the entire front clip, radiator, bumpers and some brackets, but at a significant cost to build a less attractive car. (Just my opinion) Figure 5K or more to do the job, maybe better to trade for a Packard Hawk.
    JDP Maryland

Comment

I Agree.
      Why would you want to put an ugly nose an a beautiful car?
      Good Roads
      Brian
      Brian Woods
      woodysrods@shaw.ca
      1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Welcome to the Forum.

It's your car- do with it what you wish.
        The parts are out there if you look long enough.
        Get a parts book and do some reserch so you know what you'll need.

Personally- I like the Packard Hawks.
        I found my sedan first, so I bought it instead~

StudeDave '57
        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
        SDC Member since 1985

past President
        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
        San Diego Chapter SDC
        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for your help. I'll check it out. I like a lot of different types of 50s cars - I thought that the 58 Packard Hawk was a very unique looking car. I've never actually seen one out in public.

I'm looking for different... Looks like you have a whole fleet of rides.

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
          Welcome to the Forum.

It's your car- do with it what you wish.
          The parts are out there if you look long enough.
          Get a parts book and do some reserch so you know what you'll need.

Personally- I like the Packard Hawks.
          I found my sedan first, so I bought it instead~

Comment

Originally posted by miltjanosz View Post
            Thanks for your help.
            Looks like you have a whole fleet of rides.
            No worries. Searching this Forum will find lotsa threads about Packard Hawks.
            There are some nice ones out there, and odds are- we've talke about them all!!!

You can see pictures of my other rides here~

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...tudedave57%27s

I might have a few too many Studes, actually.

StudeDave '57
            StudeDave '57
            US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
            SDC Member since 1985

past President
            Whatcom County Chapter SDC
            San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
            San Diego Chapter SDC
            North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

The front corners had a rounded stamping where the nose curved around the headlights. The outer front edge had a section welded to the fender, again, so the nose piece could bolt to the fender. The inner section front next to the radiator was specific too. The fan shroud was unique to the car, the grille, the front wheel well mouldings, the hood scoop trim, the bird 'circle' trim, the front bumper ends and bullets.....I could go on. And that is just the front end.
              If you get into the last couple of hundred, then there are some different cooling baffles and radiator seals, and there is some extra trim added around the padded outside arm rests.
              Oh yeah, I forgot that the fins on the park lights are gold plated.
              If you really want to clone a Packard hawk, then don't forget the leather interior. The special padded pleated dash pads (upper AND lower). The special almost shag carpet. The outside arm rests. The door panels and rear 1/4 interior arm rests.
              Moving along......the roof 'halo'. The fins themselvs (they are leaded in ,in the front section) the inner fin strip only runs up to the back of the rear outside arm rest. The gold fin mylar.
              the gold plated 'Packard' script (3). The 53-55 style trunk lid, and lock. The spare tire overlay and center spinner. The overlay was not the same as the ones available as an option on 58 Hawks. The trunk was fully lined even the sides and wheel wells, and was a different material than Studes.
              I very seriously doubt you could find all the parts, and if you could, you would need to take out a second mortgage.
              Last edited by bezhawk; 04-28-2011, 08:03 PM. Reason: added info
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

This is how the front of the PH fender is "modified from factory to fit the fibreglass nose" , I was told the front B/Bar is from a 47. Texas Rebel from the Forum has wrecked out some PH's he might have some parts.
                I am thinking of reproducing the noses and hoods, because I mould Corvette panels.
                Trouble is most of my clientle will be from the US and freight will kill the resale costs.
                There is only 4 of these cars in OZ.
                Brian Greenall
                Melbourne, OZ
                sigpic

Comment

I was surprised by how nice the Packard Hawk looked when I saw one last weekend. Folks say they're ugly but I disagree, very nice car. Maybe someone should get the sedans/wagons here though I don't think many were made.
                  John Clements
                  Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Originally posted by avantilover View Post
                    I was surprised by how nice the Packard Hawk looked when I saw one last weekend. Folks say they're ugly but I disagree, very nice car. Maybe someone should get the sedans/wagons here though I don't think many were made.
                    John, wait till you see a nice fully restored one with all it's factory trickets, that one you saw is a bit of a custom. They are still one of the rarest and collectable Studebakers (Packards) ever made, ugly or not.
                    I am hoping to have mine ready for the next National in the Hunter Valley.
                    Brian Greenall
                    Melbourne, OZ
                    sigpic

Comment

Yes, comments were made that the previous owner was disappointed but, as Peter Bacich correctly said, they sold it and the Sains did it up. Like I say, I didn't see an issue with that grille, though it would have been radical in 1958.

Did any of the Sedans and Wagons make it down here? You could add to your collection and have the "set."

I look forward to seeing yours and hopefully having my Lark restored, but Studebelle will be there regardless.

Regards to all in Victoria
                      John Clements
                      Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

I know someone with four '58 Packard Hawks in various conditions. Not sure if one is for parts, or all are projects. One day the Fort Knox of '58 Packard Hawk parts hoarded in N.Y. will be released and it will be a grand day for those owning these rare cars.

Comment

Ah yes, that will be some sale.!

Originally posted by barnlark View Post
                          I know someone with four '58 Packard Hawks in various conditions. Not sure if one is for parts, or all are projects. One day the Fort Knox of '58 Packard Hawk parts hoarded in N.Y. will be released and it will be a grand day for those owning these rare cars.
                          Frank van Doorn
                          Omaha, Ne.
                          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                          1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                          1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Is that the guy that has all the old trunk mount A/C units and pretty much buys every PH specific part that he can find?

nate
                            --
                            55 Commander Starlight
                            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Originally posted by N8N View Post
                              Is that the guy that has all the old trunk mount A/C units and pretty much buys every PH specific part that he can find?

nate

Yep, he and his mother buy every Packard Hawk part they can find, no matter how many they already have. He's the Warren Buffett of PH parts and moves the market.
                              JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...
                              X