Steering Wheel help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Steering Wheel help needed

I am re-installing the steering wheel on my 62 GT Hawk and have a question about the steering column collar under the steering wheel. There are two square head bolts that come from the back side with nuts fastening them on the front side near the turn signal cancel device. What purpose do these bolts serve? I can try and post pictures if needed.
    Peter Bishop

They hold the turn signal switch housing/upper shaft bearing retainer (same piece, serves two functions) to the column jacket. If you have a floor shift, it may be easier to install those with the collar behind the bearing retainer unscrewed and slid down the shaft. With a column shift it's a little more, um, challenging - don't ever remove the nuts completely, just get them as loose as you can while still threaded, push the bearing retainer in place, and tighten the nuts with a nut driver. The heads of the bolts "should" drop into the slots in the column jacket and then tightening the nuts down will correctly position/retain the bearing retainer.

I have some experience with this procedure as it seems that I've replaced or rewired the turn signal switch on every Studebaker I've owned and then some.

good luck

nate
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Nate, PM sent
      Peter Bishop

Comment

Working...
      X