Views:	1
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	1733348Click image for larger version

Name:	Firewall-small.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	1733349
    Hi,

I'm looking for any info I can get on this old Studebaker. It's in the bush near my house. I live near Perth, Ontario (about 50 miles from Ottawa, Canada). My best guess at this point is that it's a 1928 Dictator.

I couldn't find the engine number on your list. It's a six-cylinder. There are two numbers, both of which I've photographed and attached. One on the firewall is GEW-2 6813. One on the engine block is H 3 22. I've attached a photo of the car as well. The bullet holes are a nice touch!

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks.

Dave.

Welcome Dave. I grew up a few miles from you in Smiths Falls. Thought I had found all the treasures but you've found another. Lots of authourities on the forum to help decipher what you have. Nice find
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Hi Dave

Canadian GE serial numbers are 1957401 to 1957668. The GE actually produced for 1928-29 but Studebaker's policy of running changes at the time, rather than annual changes, means there are significant differences between early and late GE production. The serial number plate is on the left frame rail behind the left front wheel - probably a little hard to get to at the moment! They are often very hard to read and may even be missing altogether because they can be knocked off by rocks, etc.

The W indicates four door sedan, the 2 indicates trim level and the 6813 is the assembly line sequence number. The H 3 22 is the casting date for the block. H=1928, 3 22=March 22. The actual engine number is stamped on a pad just above the water jacket cover on the right side of the block.

Terry

Comment

Hi Dave -

Welcome to the forum.

The Ontario chapter of the club is very active in eastern Ontario, and Al jordan in Smith's Falls has a few cars including a '21 Light Six. He'd be glad to hear from you, I'm sure.

The GE model Dictator was a '28/'29 (Studebaker and some other manufacturers did't subscribe, at that time, to strict model years, preferring to make running changes instead). It is a 241.6 cubic inch flathead six of 67 horsepower. About 50,000 GE's were made in total in the US and Canada. Some body changes were made over the production period, but very few mechanical alterations.

GE is the model, W2 is the body style( I believe this would make yours a "Regal" trim level 4 door sedan), and the 6813 is the sequential body number. The H 3 22 is not the engine number. That number would be STAMPED(as opposed to being cast), probably on the right side of the engine on a machined flat surface. The Serial number would likely be on a plate on the left side of the frame under the front fender inboard of the front wheel.

The Antique Studebaker Club specializes in pre-war Studes and is also active, but not in Ontario, although there are several members here. Many of us pre-war fans do want to get together, and a small show and "gathering of enthusiasts" is to take place June 11th in Cambridge, ON, at Southworks Outlet Mall.

Hope this helps. Feel free to contact me.
        Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
        61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
        Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
        Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

One more thing, Dave. If you can get to the serial number, Studebaker used a capital I for the number 1.

Terry

Comment

Dave--

How much of that car is present? I saw the chassis, fenders, grille shell, etc., of a Stude of similar vintage in Campbellford last spring while on my "Sentimental Journey" trip with my Lark...seeing as you're in broadly the same area, I wonder whether this could be the rest of the same car!

S.

Comment

Could be, but Campbellford is still a couple of hours from Perth. I pulled a 35 Chev and a 28 Pontiac (Oakland?) out of the bush near Perth.
              Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback! I've got a lot more info now than before. I'll have to do a little more digging to find the engine number and, if I'm lucky, the serial number. That part of the frame is below ground level at this point.

Terry, what's the water jacket cover?

Steve, I don't think it's the same car as this one still has much of the body, all the fenders and the chassis.

Cheers,
                Dave.

Comment

Here is photograph of what the car would have looked like. I have a w-2 dictator and i am just and hour away just south of Ogdensburg on the US side of the border.
                  Attached Files
                  28 dictator
                  40 commander

Comment

Working...
                  X