Transmission Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Transmission Install

I am putting a new clutch in my 1963 Wagonaire. I have everything back in except the transmission - 3-speed, no O/D. I am doing this on the floor - no lift, no pit.

The Wagonaire has an X-member that requires the transmission to be slid in tailshaft first, then lifted up level and slid forward. Coming out was relatively easy, as I had gravity on my side.

The problem I am having is getting the transmission far enough back so that the input shaft will clear the bell housing. It looks like all the protuberances in the trans have to be above the x-member in order for the trans to go far enough back. It appears that the trans has to be "corkscrewed" into the x-member, then straightened out to move forward. I am using my floor jack and every time I try to twist the transmission it falls off the jack. I finally rigged up a sling so that the trans can only fall so far.

Am I missing some trick? Am I getting too old (68) for this foolishness? Do I need to learn more swear words?

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, John

Generally if you twist it onto one side or the other, that will give you that little bit extra you need.

Let us know if that works.
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I can't help with your first position, but let me recommend two long screws with the heads cut off (and slotted for screwdriver removal) screwed into the top two holes on the bell housing. Once you get the transmission in position, slide it forward onto these two screws, then gently seat it (supported on the two screws) against the bell housing, install the bottom screws, remove the top screws and replace with the original ones, hook up the linkage and the drive shaft, and drive away happy.

Comment

John

Like you I'm 68 and benching transmissions into vehicles is best left to the younger and more macho.

I bought one of these on sale for quite a bit less than this but I know you can rent them also.

Amazing deals on this 450Lb Low Lift Transmission Jack at Harbor Freight. Quality tools & low prices.

If you don't want to spend the $, then just bolt a plate to the top of your jack and use an adjustable strap to hold it while you maneuver it.

Bob

Comment

The transmission is IN !!! Thanks for the advice.

Sweetolbob - I made a crude, but effective, transmission jack by bolting a plate to my floor jack. The nearest rental place is 30 miles, and I figured the gas investment would about double the value of my wagon.

Bob Andrews - I twisted ( and shouted) and the trans finally got the idea of what I was trying to do.

Tom B - The guide studs worked great. Good tip!

I guess it does take a village to raise a Studebaker.

Thanks again, John

Comment

Working...
          X