50 Champion horn.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 50 Champion horn.

The horn on my 50 Champion stopped working. I found that the wire connecting the button to power has become detached some where in the steering column. How do I find where it comes out in the engine compartment ? I can then fish a wire to the button to get it working again I think.

I would think, if it's broken somewhere in the column you would get a constant ground and the horn would blow all the time. Maybe it's just the contact under the horn ring on the steering wheel. That is solderable. I think the wire should exit in the center of the bottom end of the steering.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I believe you will find the wire comes out the end of the steering column, straight down the tube to the end of the gear box.

Comment

Be sure that you have a good connection from the wire in the column to the brass button that contacts the horn button. There is a little spring that pushes the brass button upward, it may need to be stretched slightly in order to make contact with the horn button. I had some great pics of this, but can't find them, darn.

Comment

Thanks for the help! The wire from the horn button is OK but someone had made a connection about 2" down and used tape around the twisted wires, that is why it is not grounding all the time. If it ever stops raining here I will get the car out and get under it to fish a new wire up to the button, I tried to make a neww connection near the button but the wire broke somewhere else.

Comment

Hard to believe stupid 60 year old wire breaks. Bummer. Glad to hear you can get it fixed on the easy side of hard.

Comment

Working...
            X