Studebaker Camper Support Truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Camper Support Truck

Work has begun on our Studebaker Camper support truck for our Avanti Bonneville car. I thought you might like this picture. It should stir the heart of every Studebaker owner.

Careful inspection seems to point to the truck having only 38,000 original miles. Too much stuff is original and in good shape. The truck was used for many years as a live in rig for a gold miner. We are freshing up the brakes. Putting new tires on it. Reupolstering the interior of the camper. Fixing some wood rot. Updating the electrical system and lighting. We plan to keep the outside looking like it does with just a preservation treatment to stop and prevent rust. We plan to tow the Avanti to the races at El Mirage in May with the truck. Now that should make for a real cool picture. Look for it next month.
    Dan

I totally digg it~ that rig kicks @$$!!!!

I'm lookin' forward to seeing it completed.
    StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by SilverHawkDan View Post
      Work has begun on our Studebaker Camper support truck for our Avanti Bonneville car. I thought you might like this picture. It should stir the heart of every Studebaker owner.
      Careful inspection seems to point to the truck having only 38,000 original miles. Too much stuff is original and in good shape. The truck was used for many years as a live in rig for a gold miner. We are freshing up the brakes. Putting new tires on it. Reupolstering the interior of the camper. Fixing some wood rot. Updating the electrical system and lighting. We plan to keep the outside looking like it does with just a preservation treatment to stop and prevent rust. We plan to tow the Avanti to the races at El Mirage in May with the truck. Now that should make for a real cool picture. Look for it next month.
      Dan
      What engine and transmission? If original I sense a long and slow trip.
      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Not Original

The engine has been replaced by a Ford 390 with the truck 4 speed (granny low) but still has the original differential. Future plans include a Supercharged Studebaker Truck 289 with Overdrive Torqueflight trans. The 390 installation was done without butchering the truck too bad we are thankful for that. They just beat in the firewall a little on the drivers side to clear the valve cover and head and it can be easily beat back out. Motor mounts and trans cross member are easily removed. Going to try and get the hill holder working again since we will be towing with the truck. Got most of my brake parts this weekend so Wednesday I hope to get the brakes working.
        Dan

Comment

Progress is being made on the camper. Front brake shoes have been relined with riveted lining. Wheel cylinders are in great shape and will just need to be honed and new cups. Removing the master cylinder to see what shape it is in. My wife took this foam

and turned it into this

Here's the brake shoes

Tomorrow is a big work day. Hope to post a progress report on Thursday night.
          Till then Happy Motoring in a Studebaker!

Comment

Hill Holder help

I took the master cylinder off of the camper to rebuild it. It has a funny looking attachment. Some think it's a hill holder. Does anyone have pictures of the complete set up. It would be great to get it working as it would be a big help when we are towing the Avanti around. Any help would be appreciated. Here is a picture of what I have:

After I rebuilt the master I checked the lever on the hill holder? and it turns 360 degrees. I put it back where it was as I need the brakes to work normally until I can get it working. Rewired the wiring to the brake light switch and brake lights. I'm going to rewire the entire truck as the cloth wiring is falling apart and I am not a big fan of truck fires. The wife is cleaning up the interior and it will look nice when she is done. New cushions, counter tops, curtains and carpet.
            Dan
            Last edited by SilverHawkDan; 04-28-2011, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Just as an aside, I've never really seen the need for a hill holder if you have a bit of power and a low first gear (which it sounds like that truck has both). Just ease out the clutch until you start to feel it grabbing and THEN let off of the brake and drive away. Works very well. Now, my little 170 doesn't exactly leap forward on flat ground, so that might be a cool feature for tiny engines/terrible first gear.
              Travis..

Comment

Good Advice

Travis,
                That's some good advice. I forgot the truck currently has granny low. So maybe I'll save the time and work and move on the the other issues that are calling out for attention. Got to get the trailer brake controller and wiring installed. Finish the brakes ect.

Comment

Progress being made. I swapped out the front axle and suspension yesterday. Took the one out of the 61 1 ton frame. Upgrade to bigger brakes (11" to 12") bigger springs, bigger axle, bigger spindles. Also got what I really needed the 8 bolt pattern for the wheels. I wasn't able to find a reasonable price on 16" tires to keep the original wheels and duals. Here's some pics:

Hope to swap out the rear differential and suspension tomorrow. Got the gas tank back. Wife is making good prgress on the interior of the camper. Only 9 days left to finish it for the El Mirage race on the 14th.

Comment

Well, yes...but..
                    A properly working hillholder is like magic when you are stopped uphill at a light with a load....
                    Jeff

Originally posted by crashnzuk View Post
                    Just as an aside, I've never really seen the need for a hill holder if you have a bit of power and a low first gear (which it sounds like that truck has both). Just ease out the clutch until you start to feel it grabbing and THEN let off of the brake and drive away. Works very well. Now, my little 170 doesn't exactly leap forward on flat ground, so that might be a cool feature for tiny engines/terrible first gear.
                    Travis..
                    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                      Well, yes...but..
                      A properly working hillholder is like magic when you are stopped uphill at a light with a load....
                      Jeff
                      and a pain in the keister when you're trying to parallel park on a hill! The hill holder giveth, and the hill holder taketh away.

nate
                      --
                      55 Commander Starlight
                      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Like I said, I could see a hill hloder as a benefit if you have a low power engine and a terrible low gear, but why would anyone want to put a load behind such a thing? I have had several trucks with 3 speeds, but none that I would load heavy. Trucks that are used for work should have proper gearing. My .02
                        Travis

Edit, almost forgot, the truck is coming along nicely, I fully dig it.

Comment

Plans have changed and I am switching out the front and rear axles and suspension with the 1 ton 1961 frame that I got with the 49 and 53. This will give me the modern 8 lug bolt pattern, bigger and stronger axles and bearings, bigger and heavier duty springs. I need some help with something. Does anyone know if there is an ID plate somewhere on these old (1952) rear differentials that will tell me the gear ratio?

I will post some pictures as soon as I can. Racing against the clock as we now have only 8 days to finish it.
                          Dan

Comment

Here is a link which will assist but basically if a rear tyre is jacked up you rotate the drive shaft and count the number of rotations to cause 1 revolution of the tyre - as they say if it takes about 3 +3/4 rotations you have a 3.73 etc. Hope this helps.

John Clements
                            Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

I have the same hill holder on my 49 2r5

Throw that sucker up on ebay with its clutch rod and connector end and you'll see even in that condition what it will fetch $$$$ for your project.
                              61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X