Bad gas gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Bad gas gauge

I think I toasted my gas gauge. I've had a runtz on it so the 6v gauge (52 champion) would be OK on 12v. And last fall it was sort of working. Now it just sits with the needle below empty and never moves. I checked with a voltmeter today. 12V coming in. On the other side of the runtz I was still putting about 9v to the gauge.
    Apparently I choose poorly where to put the runtz ground wire. I've ran it now to a better spot, and the runtz is OK. Now just 6v on that side. Probably too late.
    I checked the upper post on the gauge, and it also gives a full 6v, even with plenty of gas in the tank. So tell me guys, broken gauge? Can they be fixed??

Here is where I sent my last one, might as well ask about them converting it to 12v so you can ditch the runtz.
    John Wolf & Co. Inc. provides Antique Automobile and Aircraft Instruments in Willoughby, OH. And also Boats, Gas Tank Sending Units, Custom Instrumentation, Temperature Gauges, and much extra. Visit us for more.

Originally posted by Michidan View Post
    I think I toasted my gas gauge. I've had a runtz on it so the 6v gauge (52 champion) would be OK on 12v. And last fall it was sort of working. Now it just sits with the needle below empty and never moves. I checked with a voltmeter today. 12V coming in. On the other side of the runtz I was still putting about 9v to the gauge.
    Apparently I choose poorly where to put the runtz ground wire. I've ran it now to a better spot, and the runtz is OK. Now just 6v on that side. Probably too late.
    I checked the upper post on the gauge, and it also gives a full 6v, even with plenty of gas in the tank. So tell me guys, broken gauge? Can they be fixed??

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
    53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
    57 SH (project)
    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

I don't know what a runtz is, but kansasselectproducts.com sells a 12 volt to 6 volt converter (not a resistor) just for dropping the voltage to gages.

Comment

I've heard bad things about the runtz. One is that if it fails you get 12 volts out, not zero. The other is that you need one for each gauge. I bought a 6 volt power supply from vintage-planet.com that is 12v in, 6v out, self regulating. It will power all the gauges. It is supposed to open if it fails. It works good out of the box, time will tell if it's reliable over the long haul.
        Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

I suppose they could fail either way, I had a bad one right off the shelf had 0v out.

Originally posted by 1954khardtop View Post
          I've heard bad things about the runtz. One is that if it fails you get 12 volts out, not zero. The other is that you need one for each gauge. I bought a 6 volt power supply from vintage-planet.com that is 12v in, 6v out, self regulating. It will power all the gauges. It is supposed to open if it fails. It works good out of the box, time will tell if it's reliable over the long haul.

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
          53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
          57 SH (project)
          60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

Working...
          X