Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoration of a 1920's (1928?) Studebaker Fire Truck

Hi everyone,

My fire department has a 1920's Studebaker fire truck. I believe that it is a 1928 but will be confirming that this morning. It is also supposed to be one of only three left in existence of this model. It currently is not running and is in need of being restored. The "running" issue sounds like it will be a somewhat easy task to resolve. We are going to start working on restoring the Studebaker. And, I was wondering if any of you knew where parts for the Studebaker could be located and if you could be keeping your eyes open for parts at car shows, shops, etc..? It would be greatly appreciated. We want to use as much OEM as possible.

-CVFireDawg

Hello Emily (CVFireDawg),

Welcome to the world of Studebakers. I would sugest that for parts you join the Antique Studebake Club, as they are most informed about prewar Studebakers and their news letter lists many parts for sale. They also have a forum on their web sit, at this link http://www.theantiquestudebakerclub.com/. But don't let that stop you from logging on here to ask questions and let us know what progress you are making, and above all, we love see photos of everyones' Studebakers. Take Care,

Mike

Comment

Welcome to our forum! We hope you come back often. I don't know how much you know about Studebaker and its rich history. If you enjoy history, then, with a little effort, you are in for a real treat. Please consider joining our Studebaker Drivers Club and your state chapter. I googled your location and see that you are not far from Tulsa.(Oops! I am adding this edit because I mistakenly looked at "M15 Trucker's" location. If you will let us know where you are...most of what I wrote still applies) There are several knowledgable club members in your region. If you make contact with some of these fine folks, you will be surprised at the resources that could open to you.

Keep in mind that this is a hobby and, although some of us are rabid fans, few have the time to do the work for you. However, many will offer advice, comments, and even some will chime in with some BS. The BS is usually free and sometimes pretty entertaining if you take it in "with a grain of salt," good attitude and the humor it deserves.

Like has already been said...please post some pictures. We love pictures!
      Last edited by jclary; 04-21-2011, 09:11 AM.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

My grandma used to have a studebaker and I remember whenever we visited my grandma us grandkids loved to sit in the back. The fire truck needs a lot of work, but we've finally got a senior firefighter (one with enough time in to have the equivalent bark of an officer) to take the reigns and actually start putting pedal to the metal on the project. It's amazing that we have such an amazing piece of history sitting in one of our bays. I am currently cleaning, organizing, and finishing remodeling of our auxillary building. And as I am doing that, I am finding fire equipment that is of the same era as the Studebaker which is really neat to uncover that history and see.

Comment

Welcome to the Forum could you put where you are located in your profile it helps members to help you. Thank you
          Mabel 1949 Champion
          Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
          Gus 1958 Transtar
          The Prez 1955 President State
          Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
          Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
          Fresno,Ca

Comment

Originally posted by cvfiredawg View Post
            And as I am doing that, I am finding fire equipment that is of the same era as the Studebaker which is really neat to uncover that history and see.

welcome and please share pics of the truck as well as the period fire fighteer equipment you are finding. We have a seperate heading for non Studebaker stuff. thanks and Good Luck, Steve
            sigpic

Comment

Where are you?

Originally posted by Anne F. Goodman View Post
              Welcome to the Forum could you put where you are located in your profile it helps members to help you. Thank you
              Agreed - knowing where you are at will help in finding knowledgeable folks close to you (hopefully) that can help with your project. Also helpful for obtaining certain parts that you may need that are difficult/expensive to ship long distances.

Other than that, welcome aboard! and as others have observed - please post some pics so we can see your project.
              Mark Hayden
              '66 Commander

Comment

Originally posted by Anne F. Goodman View Post
                What Anne said...I editited my previous post to acknowledge that I misread the previous posts and thought you were in Oklahoma. Let us know where you folks are and hopefully we can get you some quick response for the "first responders!"

(This reminds me of a funny fireman who was on the Johnny Carson show years ago. Johnny was interviewing the "good 'ol southern boy" who had won the Spivey Corners, N.C. Hollering contest that year. It is fundraising contest for the local volunteer fire department. This fellow happened to be a volunteer firefighter. Having a bit of fun with this jovial gap-toothed fellow, Johnny asked how effective they were in responding and putting out fires.

Without hesitation, a gleam in his eyes, and the mischievous expression of an eight year old, he replied..."We usually get there in time to save the chimney!")
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...Dept.-Pictures

Check out this link- there's a pic of the Crossfield, AB Fire Truck in there- will be very close to yours.
                  Evan Davis
                  Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

John, did ya know that the three Wise Men were firefighters from Oklahoma?
                    sigpic
                    Dave Lester

Comment

His location is indicated as Canyonville, Oregon.
                      There used to be a 1928 Studebaker fire truck here in Dutchess County, NY, but I have lost track of it. There is a 1928/1929 Studebaker hearse still in service locally.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I will try and snap a few photos of the antique equipment over the weekend when I am working on the building. Most likely though that part will have to wait until next week. I am in a bit of a rush to finish getting enough room cleared to put our 1954 LaFrance in there so we have room in the main building for our new fire truck that is arriving in about a week (and I have to have space cleared by Monday).

Minus the paint job, the body of the Studebaker is in good shape. The chrome will need to be replaced. The hose bed, the steering wheel leather, the engine/wiring, and the dials are the big parts. In particular the dials/gauges. I have drill (training) tonight so will catch a photo of the Studebaker. Will forewarn ya'll that she's a diamond in the rough right now.

Comment

I just posted in another thread about truck photos. The fire truck on the far right of the photo is like the truck that my department has. It's THAT old.

Comment

An interesting piece of my fire department's history that I learned yesterday. Before we had a fire truck way back when, the department had a giant thing that was on large steel wheels but looked like a giant fire extinguisher (we still have it). Well, before the department had a fire truck, they used to pull this giant fire extinguisher behind a pickup and that's what they used to put out fires.

Comment

Originally posted by Studedude View Post
                              John, did ya know that the three Wise Men were firefighters from Oklahoma?
                              i thought they were from NC and smelled like smoke, because they came from "a far"...
                              Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Working...
                              X