Membership Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Membership Numbers

I received my latest Hemming's Classic Car June 2011 , and I was looking at the diffrent car clubs in the 2011 club directory, are we larger than the "big threee membership wise?
    Joseph Kastellec

I don't know about number wise, but vocal. Even Hot Rod Mag. said they don't poke fun at Studes because of all the backlash.

Comment

Yes, a used, factory R3 manifold, not a repro from all we can see.
      JDP Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by JDP View Post
        Yes, a used, factory R3 manifold, not a repro from all we can see.
        I am guessing this was meant for THIS thread:

--george
        1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175

Comment

Originally posted by G T Joe View Post
          I received my latest Hemmings Classic Car June 2011 , and I was looking at the different car clubs in the 2011 club directory, are we larger than the "big three" membership wise?
          Yes, Joe; for most of its life, The Studebaker Drivers Club has far and away been the largest single-marque car club in the world, regardless of whether or not the marque is still in production. No one else comes close.

The dues thus collected enable us to have what is arguably the best single-marque monthly club magazine in the world by a long shot; Turning Wheels. (Like the man said, "It ain't braggin' if you can do it!") <GGG> BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
            Yes, Joe; for most of its life, The Studebaker Drivers Club has far and away been the largest single-marque car club in the world, regardless of whether or not the marque is still in production. No one else comes close.

The dues thus collected enable us to have what is arguably the best single-marque monthly club magazine in the world by a long shot; Turning Wheels. (Like the man said, "It ain't braggin' if you can do it!") <GGG> BP
            After I bought my 1950 Champion I started having buyer's remorse until the Turning Wheels started coming in. I found out what a great deal I had gotten and what a real treasure I had.

Comment

Too be fair...Studebakers don't get segmented in too many smaller focused clubs. We have SDC, Antique, and Avanti. That's about it. Think about how Ford interests get broken into their own clubs.
              E.g.: Model T, Model A, Early V8, T-bird, Mustang, F-100, etc. Same for GM makes. Especially Chevrolet: Tri-5, Impala, etc.

We're all one big happy family. Mostly.
              KURTRUK
              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Since Studebaaker made some six million vehicles during it's lifetime, It's still pretty cool since Mustang sales went way over that amount and their clubs don't have the numbers to match ours.
                Jamie McLeod
                Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                1958 Commander "Christine"
                1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                1955 Commander Sedan
                1964 Champ
                1960 Lark

Comment

I wonder why Hemmings Classic Car didn't Separately list :-
                  1). Studebaker Drivers Club
                  2). Antique Studebaker Club
                  3). Avanti Owners Association

If they had done this , wouldn't the overall total membership
                  have been well over 15,000 .

It was nice to see good coverage on the rare '58 Commander
                  Wagon in the same issue .

CRUISER

Comment

I saw that list and was pleased to note that only one club had more membership...The Model A Restorers Club (they have 16,000).
                    Considering the fact that the Model A is one of the foundations of the hobby (along with Ts..I hear back in the early days of Hemmings their two listings were "Fords" and "non-Fords")...WELL DONE!
                    63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

When I tell people how many members there are in SDC, their eyes almost pop out of their heads. Many people seem to think that there aren't too many Studes in existence any more. I also tell them that many members of the club own multiple Studebakers. So, it behooves us to keep getting our Studes out on the road as often as we can to show that Studebakers are very much in existence.
                      Rog
                      '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                      Smithtown,NY
                      Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

As a "Newbie" in the organization, I feel very fortunate to have access to such a broad and knowledgeable wealth of information on this site. I really doubt if any of the other clubs have such an informative membership that so willingly share their experiences and knowledge with the other members. Keep up the good work of educating and mentoring all of us "Newbies"!
                        sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

folks it all comes down to quality not quanity. i'll take 1 enthused satudebaker owner over a dozen sports car club members anytime for knowledge, dedication and willingness to help another member out. no cut throat competition for the biggest baddest best only a let's do this attitude with sdc members

Comment

SDC membership numbers are counted as families. Some clubs count all members of a family as separate members to get their count up.

A few years ago, when I was an SDC Director, I would mention SDC to non-Studebaker people. They usually said something to the effect of; What are there, two or three hundred members? I would startle them when I would reply that there are 13,000 family memberships around the World. I think that the number is closer to 12,000 now.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                            X