Rey-keying locks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Rey-keying locks?

I'm kicking myself over this one. When my family left the Lark for dead out on my great-uncle's farm, they did something really great - they left the keys in the ignition. Long story short, somewhere over the last 5 years the car has been in my possession, the keys have vanished. I think to myself "simple, by a couple NOS key blanks and have a locksmith re-key the car. However, when I called a local locksmith that I had used in the past, he told me that they don't have the ability to re-key old locks on cars like mine, and suggested I'd have better luck just replacing all the locks on the vehicle, including the ignition! I called another locksmith from the phone book, and they also didn't service car locks like what I've got. So I decided it was time to put down the phone book and come talk to real experts.

So what are my options? Should I be shopping for a set of locks with a matching key, or is there hope of finding someone who can do this? I know that in my current state of the build, I'm not really going to be worrying about locks for a long time, but when something pops into my mind, I tend to want to run with it until I at least know an answer.

Thanks!
    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

I tihnk you'll find a shop that can do it. I've had keys made for mystery door locks.

Comment

So in your case they actually made new keys, as opposed to re-keying all the locks? This might be a good option.
      '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Originally posted by JimC View Post
        So in your case they actually made new keys, as opposed to re-keying all the locks? This might be a good option.
        If you have the build sheet, you can actually have keys cut to code. This of course will only work if the lock cylinders have never been replaced. I prefer that option as then the depths will be exactly correct and theoretically a key cut that way will wear the tumblers less, but we're splitting hairs here. Another option would be to pull the ignition cylinder and the trunk cylinder and take them to a good locksmith and have them cut you keys to fit.

nate
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

some of these key blanks are becoming difficult to get when using hardware store key folks or younger locksmiths targeting mostly residential and late-model autos. There are still some locksmiths that work with vintage car enthusiasts. If you will search for local large car events where swap meets and vendors are present, you will stand a better chance of getting the service you need.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

On mine, I had a working key so it was easy to remove the tumbler and cut my own from real Stude blanks from SI.
            1948 M15A-20 Flatbed Truck Rescue
            See rescue progress here on this blog:
            http://studem15a-20.blogspot.com/

Comment

I had a friend years ago that was a locksmith but when he moved to Oregon I was fortunate enough to find another right in Torrance, Calif. I seem to always need an extra set due to the wife always misplaces her keys to the Studes. So I have extra key blanks. When the time comes if I buy another Stude, I give my master & the blanks along with the cylinders in question & a couple hours later they are done. That way all my Studes for that matter run on the same key. Keeps things simple. (Old Town Lock & Key, Hawthorne Blvd, Torrance, Calif)
              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I only had the ignition/door key for my lark, I took it down to my local lock smith (third generation old shop) and they found the appropriate blank for the trunk and cut it to match the existing lock. Really good guys there.

Comment

Jim, Check with Carl-Jarl and Accurate locksmiths when the time comes, they both have been around foreever and should be able to help you.
                  Frank van Doorn
                  Omaha, Ne.
                  1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                  1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                  1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Jim C. good morning,I am a working Locksmith with @58 and a 61 Hawks, and a 51 C Cab 1/2 ton Studes,and have been a national member for 22 yrs. If you can get the correct blanks, keys could be made for your car.. but in order to do that you would need to pull the locks so I " could read them'' and make keys for you.. just let me know.. good luck Mike

Comment

Working...
                    X