The nice '53 Starliner is now on my driveway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The nice '53 Starliner is now on my driveway

I had decided that the nice modified Starliner (see http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...e-53-Starliner) had to have a new electric fuel pump and I had to get under the center of the car to install it, I wasn't about to get under the car sitting on a grassy slope. They couldn't find a anyone who would let us use a lift because of liability issues so the owners asked if they could just have it brought to my place. I agreed to that (readily). The rollback dropped it off here this morning. I really wanted it down in my barn, but we have had a bunch of rain and the driver said he could never make it back up the hill. So, he very skillfully placed at the end of my driveway. I thought about trying to roll it to the barn when it's dryer, but have decided I can work on it on my driveway OK. So, I should have the new fuel pump on it very shortly then I tackle the "stuck" clutch. The rollback driver said he noticed it was wet around the clutch master cylinder so I suspect it lost the hydraulic fluid rather than stuck the disc to the flywheel.
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

She's pretty. Hope you get to drive it soon. Good luck.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

I have followed this story with interest. I hope that nice looking car is on the road soon.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Got it all jacked up on stands yesterday to replace the bad electric pump. Need a few pieces (ethanol-resistant hose, new filters, some fittings) which I got this morning. Got the new
        pump on (with my usual Keystone Cops comedy routine). Still couldn't get gas to the carburetor. Finally found that a section of the steel fuel line had been crushed against the frame maybe by careless jacking or maybe on a lift where the pad got the line. Patched that and finally had gas at the carb. Didn't want to start (the electric choke doesn't seem to be working) so I poured an ounce of gas in the carb. Fired right up and ran like a charm- good oil pressure, no noises or smoke. The owner's brother had told her that the clutch was stuck and it doesn't work. However, it has a hydraulic clutch setup and the master cylinder was completely dry. As soon as I find out what kind of fluid it takes, I fill it and see if that brings back the clutch. Maybe tomorrow I'll report on the first roar down the road (Flowmasters sounded pretty good).
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

If I could guess on the clutch fluid, I would say DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid.

Comment

Originally posted by mausersmth View Post
            If I could guess on the clutch fluid, I would say DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid.
            That would be my guess too, but there was a container of hydraulic jack fluid in the trunk which made me wonder...
            I poked my finger in the MC and got a little bit of brownish fluid off the bottom, but I couldn't tell for sure if it was dirty brake fluid or dirty hydraulic fluid.

Comment

FWIW, all the hydraulic clutches I've installed used brake fluid.

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

Easy solution to the clutch fluid problem. Flush the whole system with rubbing alcohol, then refill it with DOT 4 brake fluid.

Comment

Made a little more progress today. The owner's brother told her the car needed a new carburetor- WRONG. It was running OK, but didn't want to start cold. I thought the electric choke wasn't working, but in looking I found that the linkage from the choke coil to the choke shaft was disconnected. Naturally the tiny little clip that holds it on was gone, but I'm a great believer in bailing wire- twisted a short length around the end of the linkage and it was secure. I had never worked on an electric choke before- had no idea how they worked. But when I felt what looked just like the thermostat housing on a regualr automatic choke, I found that it was warm. So, I deduced that the only difference was it was using electric heat to open the choke instead of exhaust heat. I rotated the housing a couple notches and the choke snapped shut just like I thiught it should. Car fired up on the second turn. I guess all Studebakers like to be choked to start cold no matter what brand of engine they have. Maybe tomorrow it moves under its own power.

Comment

The '53 is now roadworthy.
                    I solved the clutch fluid dilemma by realizing that what I thought was a red can of hydraulic jack oil was in fact a red jack in a container that looked like a gallon jug. Even though the bleeder screw on the slave cylinder was on the bottom, I was able to get all the air out with running about a half pint of fluid through the bleeder. I had the car jacked up to where the master cylinder was higher that the slave cylinder and I think air was coming out there on the back stroke of the pedal too. When I decided to try the pedal with the bleeder screw closed the ram moved the clutch linkage OK. So I decided to try running through the gears with the rear wheels off the ground. However, I couldn't shift in to any gear so I hoped it was just that the clutch disc was stuck to the flywheel. I started the car in 4th and ran it up to about 55 mph then, holding down the clutch pedal, slammed on the brakes. Put the transmission in neutral, pressed down the clutch, restarted the engine and shifted through the gears and into reverse just like it should. I got the car off the jack stands and decided to take a very short test run. First thing I did was burned rubber in my driveway- way sensitive clutch and throttle. Pulled out on the road and got rubber in the 1st-2nd shift and the 2nd-3rd shift without even pushing it. The shifter has very short throws and a very narrow gate so it is super easy to shift.
                    The car runs STRONG!! I did find out from a previous owner that the 327 engine was completely rebuilt- bored, crank turned, new cam, new valves, light weight push rods, etc. I'm a complete Chevrolet engine dummy but my two sons, both pretty checked out on them, looked at it and told me it was a performance engine- had "double hump" heads and a"performer" intake manifold.
                    Watch for it on eBay.

Comment

Congrats. What is normal troubleshooting and repair to an old car nut is beyond impossible to most of the current generation who will inherit our Studes. They probably would never have gotten it running and on the road without your help. It will be interesting to see what it sells for on eBay.

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
                        The '53 is now roadworthy.

Watch for it on eBay.
                        Another damn flipper, welcome back to the dark side .
                        JDP Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by JDP View Post
                          Another damn flipper, welcome back to the dark side .
                          Actually, the car doesn't belong to me so technically I'm not a flipper (though I have flipped a few in the past). I did take a lesson from you though and and am selling it for them with them standing the listing/selling fees, parts I had to buy and I take 25% of anything over the reserve.

Comment

Working...
                          X