A South Bend OOOPPPPS!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A South Bend OOOPPPPS!!!

I had heard that there were folks in South Bend that were upset because Studebaker shut down, but this is ridiculous (and a bit early).....

Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Boy, that is really an OOPS. Do you suppose the '54 ran a stop sign? Where did you find those great photos ? You should send them to OLD CARS WEEKLY "Wreck of the week".

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Mute View Post
      Boy, that is really an OOPS. Do you suppose the '54 ran a stop sign? Where did you find those great photos ? You should send them to OLD CARS WEEKLY "Wreck of the week".
      Got them from the HAMB forum thread entitled: "Vintage Shots from Days Gone By"

Let me warn you -- you can spend weeks going through that thread. There is another one concerning Black and White pictures before WWII that also is pretty cool and very time consuming.
      Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser
      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

There are some old photos at the fire dept. from the '40s and '50s that show Studebakers in them. I think one of them even had a '48 that was a chief car. I'll show them these.
        Chris Dresbach

Comment

No big deal only a sedan.
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BubbaBear View Post
              Anybody know the owner? It looks totaled but there’s at least one grill, two taillight assembly's, a rear bumper, trunk lid, an engine, etc………
              It's a safe bet the owner is, well, deceased...and was that very day. That's some hit; whew! BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Gee if we got rid of all sedans I wonder how big the SDC would be then ?
                Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                No big deal only a sedan.
                Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                  It's a safe bet the owner is, well, deceased...and was that very day. That's some hit; whew! BP
                  That would be a logical assumption from the angle of that hit. Even in todays cars with door supports and side air bags, the survival of a hit from the side like that is questionable.
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

It would be a safe bet that the driver died in that crash.....I bet the truck ran the red light not the car .
                    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Perhaps the Stude driver did not yield to the emergency vehicle. Might have knocked him or her right out the passenger door since it was the time before seat belts.
                      Pat Dilling
                      Olivehurst, CA
                      Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Now would this be an SBFB?

a "South Bender Fender Bender" ?
                        The Blog: http://dutchstuderesto.wordpress.com

Comment

Maybe the radio was turned up too loud...

Had a relative who got knocked out the passenger door of a '52 Studebaker after getting t-boned back in the 50s - ended up on the street ... front seat and all ...

Comment

I decided to go on a search to see if I could find a story to go with that picture. Since I didn't know the exact year, except sometime after the fall of 1953 when the 1954 models came out, I narrowed it to about a 15 year guess, even though I doubt that fire truck was in service anywhere near that late.

Sadly, I didn't find any mention of this accident. But, this South Bend Fire Department history page is teeming with Studebaker stories!! It's great, check it out. There is a gap between 1958 & 1963.

One story (without a Stude reference, though) was really great about a ten year coming home from school to find his house on fire and then saved every one of his small siblings with great risk to his own life. Cool story. I always wonder who a child like that turned out to be later in life. A life changing day, to be sure.

One picture can lead to many conclusions... from a bad emergency brake letting loose, then rolling in front of the fire truck without anyone in it, to one of them running a red light and someone dying immeadiately. Who knows.

I'm of the same belief as Pat Dilling; lack of a seat belt could have saved someone, too. Sure wish this one had "the rest of the story" attached.
                            Last edited by barnlark; 04-19-2011, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Doesn't appear to be a Studebaker fire truck. What's up with that?
                              Brad Johnson,
                              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                              X