Wondering about this AM/FM radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wondering about this AM/FM radio

Is this the Avanti radio that usually sells for like a grand? If it is, I wonder why it didn't get a bid:

Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

I always thought the AM/FM radios that went for the BIG BUCKS
    were for the '64-'66 sedans and wagons...

StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
      Is this the Avanti radio that usually sells for like a grand? If it is, I wonder why it didn't get a bid:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...NA%3AUS%3A1123
      He started the bidding way too high, and no one wanted to be the first one on the dance floor.
      JDP Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
        I always thought the AM/FM radios that went for the BIG BUCKS
        were for the '64-'66 sedans and wagons...

It's the same AM/FM radio, the only difference being the red light bulb for the Avanti. My '64 Avanti has a AM/FM from a '64 Cruiser I snagged at York in 1994 for 200 bucks - everyone thought I was crazy!

The '66 version has black knobs and pushbuttons - hard to find one of those. Russ Farris
        Last edited by maxpower1954; 04-18-2011, 06:56 PM.
        1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
        1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

Originally posted by JDP View Post
          He started the bidding way too high, and no one wanted to be the first one on the dance floor.
          I have always agreed with that, but I still thought someone who was willing to go a grand for one would be watching and look to steal it at the opening bid right at the end. That's what I'd do. Except there's no way it could ever be worth that to me
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
          Romans 15:13
          Deuteronomy 31:6
          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

The one for a grand was nos if I remember right, hard time right now so it might have to wait until later and try again going price is around $500.00
            Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

You guys crack me up! These are more rare than you know.

These are more rare than a JT or JTS Lark or Hawk I am sure. I can count 3 of these on one hand for every 400 63's or 64 's I ever saw up close. More FM's were on the shelf at dealers than the factory ever installed in Larks and Hawks. no sh;t!! I have no numbers on Avanti, but those were sort of rare in those cars too. I have no info on 65 and 66 cars, but ones I have seen tend to follow suit with US built cars. a rare option.

Comment

From the Ad:

Professionally rebuilt and in good working condition.

Slight pitting on chrome bezel and AM-FM band control is sensitive

Some "Professional Rebuild..." BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                  From the Ad:

Professionally rebuilt and in good working condition.

Slight pitting on chrome bezel and AM-FM band control is sensitive

Some "Professional Rebuild..." BP
                  That was my thinking as well. I bought one in the mid 70's along with a Delco window type distributor at a local salvage yard for four bucks! :-) JS
                  Last edited by LarkTruck; 04-19-2011, 11:29 AM.
                  I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Originally posted by maxpower1954 View Post
                    It's the same AM/FM radio, the only difference being the red light bulb for the Avanti. Russ Farris
                    I wouldn't know about lights in a radio because my Cruiser doesn't have one-
                    but seeing that the gauges are all red bulbs, why not the radio too?

In other words- on '64-'66 'Lark-Types' were the radios not lighted to match their gauges?

StudeDave '57
                    StudeDave '57
                    US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
                    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                    San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

I know the guy that listed this one on ebay. The radio works fine and was in his '62 convertible. Not being correct for the car he thought he'd try his luck on ebay. Guess it wasn't his lucky day.

Comment

StudeDave 57 - I thought the Lark types had clear bulbs for the instrument cluster. At least my '66 Cruiser did. So you are saying yours are red?

The early Delco AM/FM radio has a poor AGC circuit, which makes it prone to multi-path reflection issues (translation: it fades in and out while driving around, which means you constantly adjust the knob for best reception.) Still looks cool in my Avanti, though!

Russ Farris
                        Last edited by maxpower1954; 04-19-2011, 09:34 PM.
                        1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
                        1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

StudeDave 57 - I thought the Lark types had clear bulbs for the instrument cluster. At least my '66 Cruiser did. So you are saying yours are red? Russ Farris
                          Yes, my Cruiser has red bulbs, just as she did when I got her from the second owner-
                          who only had her for a few months- and I doubt he would've changed them.
                          Every '64 Dad owns has them too. Grandpa's came that way from the factory.

StudeDave '57
                          StudeDave '57
                          US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
                          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                          San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

StudeDave 57 - I thought the Lark types had clear bulbs for the instrument cluster. At least my '66 Cruiser did. So you are saying yours are red?

The early Delco AM/FM radio has a poor AGC circuit, which makes it prone to multi-path reflection issues (translation: it fades in and out while driving around, which means you constantly adjust the knob for best reception.) Still looks cool in my Avanti, though!

Russ Farris
                            All the bulbs in my '64 Daytona Wagonaire were/are red from the factory including the one in the AM-FM (also original from the factory).
                            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Well, I learned something - but I pick up things here almost everyday I didn't know!

Russ Farris
                              1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
                              1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

Working...
                              X