64 Wagonaire side mouldings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: 64 Wagonaire side mouldings

What are the side mouldings on this car made of? I can't tell if they're stainless or aluminum. Haven't taken them off yet. They're a little scratched and dinged, and I'm hoping they can be restored:

Click image for larger version

Name:	WagonairePA6.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	1733314
    Last edited by Bob Andrews; 04-18-2011, 02:57 PM.
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

They're Aluminum.

Easy test: All Studebaker Stainless will attract a magnet.
    Last edited by mbstude; 04-18-2011, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Bleah. I was afraid of that. Can you do anything with aluminum?
      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

All I can do is tell you that I don't do aluminum. <grin>

Supposedly there are places that can restore and re-anodize it but, I don't know of any in particular.

Comment

You can straighten them with a little patience. You can also repaint, or strip and repaint the flat black. Note that the Cruiser and Daytona pieces are identical but for what areas are painted. I replaced a piece on my Cruiser with one from a Daytona by changing the paint pattern and it has held up well.

Comment

Hmm. I'm not worried about the paint, that's easy to redo. I just wondered about restoring the metal. If Matthew can't, probably no one can!

I guess when the time comes I'll have to clean up and assess each piece and look for replacements as needed.
            Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Those wide mouldings for the '64 and '65 Daytona and Cruisers are clear anodized aluminum. Any damage or repair that breaks through the .0003" depth of anodizing leaves them open to corrosion.
              SI has NOS mouldings available for your car.
              R2Andrea

Comment

I went and took a closer look at the pieces. The only real damage is a metal screw at the tip of both front pieces. I can live with that, but as you say the anodizing has lots of little scratches and is worn off in large stretches.

I did do a little looking online and found this place. Interesting but probably pricey:

Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Would buffing and then applying a clear coat work?
                  sigpic
                  In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

That's a thought. First order of business will be to keep my eye open for better replacements. There's no time frame, and when I do get to it it's going to be a driver resto, so I'll ave to limit what I put in. Who knows, maybe somebody'll buy it before I can do anything to it. Currently my fun is gathering pieces for the cars I've got here already. We'll see though...
                    Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

You'll have to ask Mike what he did to Sweet Pea when he last painted her, as I wasn't there. The trim was NOT removed, but was repainted. He did 'something else' to the trim, but I have no idea what. Whatever it was- she STILL looked good six years later~

just sayin'
                      StudeDave '57
                      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                      SDC Member since 1985

past President
                      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                      San Diego Chapter SDC
                      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                        If Matthew can't, probably no one can!
                        I wouldn't go that far. I can straighten and smooth out a piece of stainless and polish it to a mirror finish, but don't have the equipment to strip, clean, and re-anodize aluminum. It's an entirely different animal.

Comment

Working...
                        X