55 pickup ignition issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 55 pickup ignition issue

My 55 pickup has a problem that may be ignition rotor related. I was told that the old rotor could be replace with a solid state device. Sorry if this may be a poor description of the situation, but any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks, David

Even the old rotor is a solid state device. Need more to go on. Some pics. or a little more information of what is happening. Usually the only thing that can go bad with a rotor is the end of it gets chewed up by the arc or someone put too short a rotor in or the carbon button in the cap breaks or the spring behind the button goes south or the button falls out.

Comment

I think you may mean the problem is in the DISTRIBUTOR. It is usually no more than NEW Points, Condensor, Rotor and Dist. Cap needed.
      Unless modified, 1955's were 6 Volt Positive Ground and need a correct Battery and connection.

To help, we would need to know if the Truck is a Champion 170 cid small Six, a Commander 245 cid big Six or a 224 cid V-8 Engine.

What IS the "issue"?

Yes there are Electronic Ignition Systems available made by "Pertronix", but if there are other "issues" of a mechanical nature in the Distributor, replacing the Points with a Electronic Module replacement will NOT help.
      Last edited by (S); 04-17-2011, 09:40 AM.

Comment

55 pickup problem

The pickup is a 5E with original engine......I live at 6900 ft altitude....the problem is that cold the engine seems to run fine, but after it warms up, it seems to "load up" or cough/sputter when the accelerator is press hard to the point that I sometimes think it will stall. It has new rotor, condenser, coil, ignition wires and the carb has been rebuilt. Sorry I cannot provide a more technical description of the problem.....thanks, David

Comment

Are you driving down the road when this Happens? The reason I ask we were having a similar problem with our 1958 Transtar turned out to be the ignition switch was losing contact. Was fine in the driveway and it didn't happen all the time. I happened to be driving down the freeway and held the key with pressure on it and it kept running strong. Hope this helps. Let us know what you find
          Mabel 1949 Champion
          Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
          Gus 1958 Transtar
          The Prez 1955 President State
          Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
          Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
          Fresno,Ca

Comment

A 5E is a Champion engine, correct?

1. Is the choke opening when warm?

2. Is the heat riser valve in the exhaust manifold opening completely?

3. Has the carburetor float level been verified as correct?

4. Does the accelerator pump squirt fuel as the throttle is opened?

5. Most Champion carbs I see are completely worn out. The throttle shaft can be so loose it rattles in the carb body. The clearance passes so much air, the mixture and curb idle screws have to be mis-adjusted to get a smooth idle. When the throttle is opened, the carb is trying to make the transition from a bad idle adjustment to cruise. Symptoms similar to yours are the result. Have someone who knows carbs take a look at yours.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by Anne F. Goodman View Post
              Are you driving down the road when this Happens? The reason I ask we were having a similar problem with our 1958 Transtar turned out to be the ignition switch was losing contact. Was fine in the driveway and it didn't happen all the time. I happened to be driving down the freeway and held the key with pressure on it and it kept running strong. Hope this helps. Let us know what you find
              When driving....problem is consistent once the engine gets warm.

Comment

Sounds like it could be as simple as TOO MUCH Choke, have you checked to see if the butterfly is ALL the way open when the Choke handle is all the way in?

Comment

5E Engine

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                  A 5E is a Champion engine, correct?

jack vines
                  A 5E engine is a HD 259 engine. Be interesting if that was the original engine as I had thought all V8 1/2 and 3/4 ton 55's came with a 224 V8. 'Course it could be a 1 ton pickup??
                  Mark Hayden
                  '66 Commander

Comment

Also, check the vaccum advance on the distributor for a broken diaphragm.
                    Bez Auto Alchemy
                    573-318-8948
                    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by dlhiggins1 View Post
                      The pickup is a 5E with original engine......I live at 6900 ft altitude....the problem is that cold the engine seems to run fine, but after it warms up, it seems to "load up" or cough/sputter when the accelerator is press hard to the point that I sometimes think it will stall. It has new rotor, condenser, coil, ignition wires and the carb has been rebuilt. Sorry I cannot provide a more technical description of the problem.....thanks, David
                      David-
                      The people here are trying to help you, but we still don't know for sure what kind of engine you have. Unfortunately, Studebaker used 5E to designate both their 1960 model trucks (all engines) and the 259ci HD V8 (all years) -- so the numbers 5E could mean several different things. As Mark noted, the 5E HD 259 would have been unlikely in a 1955 pickup -- and many trucks of that era have been incorrectly titled as a different year.

V8 or 6? Displacement?
                      Last edited by Skip Lackie; 04-18-2011, 05:14 AM.
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

If you can have someone blow out the needle and seat in your carb, you may find an immediate improvement.
                        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Working...
                        X