Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From the archives #78 Who, what, where, why, when?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From the archives #78 Who, what, where, why, when?

The first one to answer all the questions completely and accurately will win absolutely nothing.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

A strike when the foreman showed up driving a '55 Bel Air.

Comment

There was a fire near one of the security gate guard houses - wet driveway & dry road.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
      MELBOURNE.

Comment

Originally posted by HAWK64 View Post
        There was a fire near one of the security gate guard houses - wet driveway & dry road.
        That sounds like a logical explanation, Jim!

I'm pretty sure that's the south side of W. Sample St., near Gate 1 and the Studebaker Engineering Building. I'd place the photo in either fall '61 or early spring '62, since there are no leaves on the trees and a couple '62-model Larks in the photo.
        Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH
        (formerly Greenville, PA)
        Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
        Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
        1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
        1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
        All are in Australia now

Comment

'Looks like a good explanation of why none of the structures in the photo are extant, and why the subject company is no longer in business:

To wit: Of 13 identifiable automobiles in the photo, only 6 are Studebakers...and this is right smack dab in the middle of the Studebaker manufacturing complex!

This is likely a photo of the early-spring 1962 strike that caused the company to miss what had been a certain, possible 100,000-unit year for the last time. Thank goodness all that pollution is being generated in China, now, so we can plant daisies in the sod at Ignition Park!

The photo was taken from an upper floor of the Engineering Building, probably to document who and what was going on during the strike. I'm not sure about the fire at the gate house theory, Jim; rather, that may be some remaining snow melting from a huge pile out of sight. South Bend gets some enormous snow mountains that take forever to melt once spring arrives. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

My first trip to South Bend the Power Plant was already gone as it was one of the first structures removed, but I think that is what we are looking at with the steam leak from the underground steam mains. I think it is a good guess about this being taken during the strike.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
              To wit: Of 13 identifiable automobiles in the photo, only 6 are Studebakers...and this is right smack dab in the middle of the Studebaker manufacturing complex!
              You forgot the Champ truck parked under the power plant. And Studebaker would have made a little bit on the sale of that DKW parked across the street. I suspect that photo was taken at lunchtime, as there's no long line of strikers present, and one can see a picket leaning up on the gatepost near the guardhouse.

Craig

Comment

Have only been to SB three times in my life, but then absoutly nothing is something! Mac

Comment

Obvious, the strikers by the gates elected to send a couple of fellow strikers across the street as hit men to kill the owners of the non-studebakers parked at the curb.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                    From the archives #78 Who, what, where, why, when?

The first one to answer all the questions completely and accurately will win absolutely nothing.
                    Who: Grown men
                    What: A major disagreement
                    Where: Latitude 41 degrees, 39 minutes, 879 seconds; Longitude 86 degrees, 09 minutes, 4601 seconds
                    Why: Because Richard Quinn needed another photo taken for his “Collection
                    When: 07 January 1962, 14:16:03 GMT

Last edited by Welcome; 04-17-2011, 01:30 PM.

Comment

I count NINE (revised) Studebaker/Packard Corp. products visible in the Picture.
                      Isn't that a '58 Packard Wagon on the left edge of the Pic ahead of the '60 Lark Wagon which is ahead of the '61 Lark Wagon?

Counting the Champ under the Power Station and the Auto Union DKW and the Packard, we have 9. Still, not enough though!

I like Matt's answer the BEST though, good one Matt!
                      Last edited by (S); 04-17-2011, 01:51 PM.

Comment

I think I see 9 Studebakers total.but maybe I'm seeing one that's not really there ?
                        Originally posted by (S) View Post
                        I count EIGHT Studebaker/Packard Corp. products visible in the Picture.
                        Isn't that a '58 Packard Wagon on the left edge of the Pic ahead of the '60 Lark Wagon which is ahead of the '61 Lark Wagon?

Counting the Champ under the Power Station and the Auto Union DKW and the Packard, we have 8. Still, not enough though!

I like Matt's answer the BEST though, good one Matt!
                        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Well, I can only take you guys' word that it is in South Bend at one of the Studebaker facilities. As to what is going on, I have no idea. What I do know is that I love that big old four door Nash the the Continental Kit.
                          Joe Roberts
                          '61 R1 Champ
                          '65 Cruiser
                          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

That's a Rambler across the street, not a DKW. I had a DKW (should I admit that?) so I know what they look like. They were a different car, that's for sure, 2 cycle. 3 cyl, front wheel drive and could barely keep up with its own shadow.

Dick
                            Mountain Home, AR
                            http://www.livingintheozarks.com/studebaker2.htm

Comment

When I was in school a roommate from South Bend stated that he thought his father's premature death was due to the stress induced from his union activities. I do not know what position his father had in the union. He drove the car his father had owned which was a 1955 Packard 400 hardtop...a really nice car.
                              "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Working...
                              X