Car leans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car leans

My '56 Sky Hawk leans to the driver's side, even though springs & shocks have been replaced. Any ideas?
    peter lee

The drivers side shackles are a wee bit longer on coupes and hawks on the drivers side. Perhaps they were switched? Also, there are multiple holes in the front mount for the rear spring ....try a lower hole. Also it the rear u-bolts are not tight, it can lead to a cracked leaf. Make sure the front coils are the same wire diameter (matched set).
    Check tire sizes (some manufacturers vary on the same size). Eat less cheeseburgers.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

The bolt holding the front of the LR spring to the car's frame may have been installed in the wrong hole. See if it can be installed in a lower set of holes on the frame bracket, in effect raising the car. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
        The drivers side shackles are a wee bit longer on coupes and hawks on the drivers side. Perhaps they were switched? Also, there are multiple holes in the front mount for the rear spring ....try a lower hole. Also it the rear u-bolts are not tight, it can lead to a cracked leaf. Make sure the front coils are the same wire diameter (matched set).
        Check tire sizes (some manufacturers vary on the same size). Eat less cheeseburgers.
        Thanks for your input, and as far as the cheeseburgers go, I only weigh 146 lbs. Of course I'm only 4' 8, but that has nothing to do with it!
        peter lee

Comment

Also, were your front coil springs installed with the end of the bottom coil pointed INBOARD and forward AND both exactly the SAME?

NOT doing that, will definitely cause that.

Comment

Maybe it is supposed to be like that. All 70-95 Range Rovers sit crooked.
            Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
            Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
            Lizella, GA

Comment

While that's possible, I don't think so. Ron Wakefield's famous '56 Hawk sits level, and other Hawks I've seen at shows also seem to sit level.
              Originally posted by Nelsen Motorsports View Post
              Maybe it is supposed to be like that. All 70-95 Range Rovers sit crooked.
              peter lee

Comment

Leaning problem solved

A local body shop solved the problem with my Sky Hawk leaning to the drivers side by using hard rubber wedges between the coils, and making some other adjustments. They also fixed the passenger's side door s o it now closes fully. Thanks everyone for your input
                peter lee

Comment

Working...
                X