Continental kit for a Lark?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continental kit for a Lark?

This car recently appeared at a mechanic's place of business down the road from Fresno. It is not unusual to see older cars in his yard. I stopped to inquire, not knowing if it was his or a customer's car. He said he had recently purchased it. He had gotten tired of seeing it sitting outside for 6-8 years deteriorating. So he bought it and got it running in no time. Seems the previous owner bought it at a charity auction or something. And then just let it sit. So it's in the hands of a real mechanic now. I asked if he had good parts sources. He said no and asked if I knew of any. So I'll be dropping by a SI catalog and a copy of TW Mar. 2011. The one with a Lark hardtop in it. He said he had never seen a Lark hardtop before. He really likes the car, but would sell it for the right price.

So...I like continental kits. I know some of you don't. Can't recall seeing one on a Lark. I know it's getting a little late, style-wise, for a continental kit, but I think it looks good on this car.
    The Lincoln Continental got one because there was no room in the trunk for the spare. And the same for Nash Metropolitans. (Actually, the first few years Metros didn't even had a trunk lid!)
    Unlike on C/K Studes with an added continental kit, the Lark has a somewhat stubby trunk, so I think it looks just right.
    This looks like a nicely done kit. Anyone have any ads marketing a Cont. kit for Larks?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by kurtruk; 04-15-2011, 03:23 PM.
    KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Leonard probably would have had that ad for you right away. I have never seen an ad for one, but here's a post by Lark8girl and husband of aforementioned Lark8girl for another look at a finished one. I've seen it close up...it's a beauty:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...Studebaker-Day!

Comment

I like it. I would like it even better if the bumper and filler pan were more stylized so that the bumper hugged the back of the car and wrapped around the continental kit. However, doing it that way would probably cause the price to be much higher.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

DOH! I forgot about lark8girl's car.

Yeah, I sure miss Leonard's resources. And Leonard, too.
        Last edited by kurtruk; 04-15-2011, 03:22 PM.
        KURTRUK
        (read it backwards)

Comment

Wow Kurt that looks good.
          Mabel 1949 Champion
          Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
          Gus 1958 Transtar
          The Prez 1955 President State
          Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
          Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
          Fresno,Ca

Comment

Here's one Leonard Sheppard found, I believe somewhere in VA.

Click image for larger version

Name:	60LarkconvertibleElktonVArear.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	1667942

I of course fell in love it immediately. I asked Leonard if he could try to get contact info for the owner but sadly he had a stroke right about then and hasn't been around much since because he has trouble typing. I tried e-mailing, PMs, and through Facebook, and none of it worked.

Not worried about finding the car, I just hope my friend is feeling better. If you see this, we love ya, Leonard!
            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
            Romans 15:13
            Deuteronomy 31:6
            Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
              Here's one Leonard Sheppard found, I believe somewhere in VA.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8733[/ATTACH]

I of course fell in love it immediately. I asked Leonard if he could try to get contact info for the owner but sadly he had a stroke right about then and hasn't been around much since because he has trouble typing. I tried e-mailing, PMs, and through Facebook, and none of it worked.

Not worried about finding the car, I just hope my friend is feeling better. If you see this, we love ya, Leonard!
              Bams,

Found that car on Bill Jackameit's website. Does or did belong to Frank Williams of elkton, Va. http://billstudepage.homestead.com/f...7september.htm
              KURTRUK
              (read it backwards)

Comment

Kurt, there is an advertisement for a Continental Kit for the 1959 Lark on page 32 of Ed Reynolds' book "Studebaker Lark 1959-1966 Photo Archive." Made by Continental Industries Los Angeles 39, California. Ed's caption is as follows -
                "Continental made a rear tire kit for the 1959 Lark that was offered by the factory to Studebaker dealers. Although it was a popular option on Ramblers, few Studebakers were ordered with the accesory. The tire assembly tilted rearward to allow access to the fuel filler."
                John Clements
                Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Originally posted by kurtruk View Post

Found that car on Bill Jackameit's website. Does or did belong to Frank Williams of elkton, Va. http://billstudepage.homestead.com/f...7september.htm
                  Our favorite truck farmer, Frank Drumheller (studelark), found that car's inherited owners and they don't seem to be too easy to talk to, if I remember correctly. They seem content to let it rot under that carport. Maybe Frank can give us an update. I'm told it was a solid car before the earth started to claim the frame and suspension the last few years. That trunk could be a squirrel condo by now. I hope it was saved.

Comment

The continental kits on the white and red cars are somewhat different that the one on Lark VIII girls car. They had curved ends, and Lark VIII girls continental kit is more square. Its wheel does not fold
                    rearward , however gas door acess is OK. Somewhere I saw a Studebaker dealer accessory ad for a contental kit. Overall we hear a lot of favorable comments on the Kit and it gives the car a longer look and makes the car look less stubby.

Comment

I owned a white 1959 Lark VIII hardtop similar to that one, except for the connie kit. I sold it with 27K miles on it. I am in line and still waiting to buy it back. That was supposed to happen last Spring, but the guy that I sold it to keeps hanging on to it. I guess that I will have to outlast him and buy it from his son.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                      X