Dick Datson Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dick Datson Books

No one ever brought up Dick Datson in answer to my last thread. I am interested in "The Studebaker Extreme Duty Engine Book". I can't see how to get one off the website. None on ebay. I even tried all the popular used book sites. Anyone have one they would sell?

Jon Kammer

I'll have to look through all of my DD material. I may have some extras. I will let you know.
    Last edited by starliner62; 04-15-2011, 12:00 PM. Reason: can't spell
    Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
    1958 Commander "Christine"
    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
    1955 Commander Sedan
    1964 Champ
    1960 Lark

Comment

Yes, SDC performance enthusiasts owe a great debt to Dick Datson. He was way ahead of the curve on writing about how to modify Studes and got many of us where we are today.

No, not everything he wrote was correct or even functional. DD would throw out ten ideas every day. One could be a stroke of genius. Six would be workable solutions. One or two would be questionable science - for instance, fiberglassing over a rusted-out floor pan. The tenth would be so bizarre the engineering would only function in some other non-linear universe. The problem was DD could never tell the difference. He would state them all with absolute certainty and vehemence.

Maybe, buy the books, read them and when you find something you want to try, find at least three other SDCrs who have tried that particular DD suggestion before buying any parts and digging in.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Some previous owner of my car took DD's advice on the fiberglass floor thing. I discovered last week that it was not the best idea ever hatched. Needless to say, I ordered a new floor pan this week.
        Jamie McLeod
        Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
        1958 Commander "Christine"
        1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
        1955 Commander Sedan
        1964 Champ
        1960 Lark

Comment

Thanks for the heads up Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by starliner62 View Post
            Some previous owner of my car took DD's advice on the fiberglass floor thing. I discovered last week that it was not the best idea ever hatched. Needless to say, I ordered a new floor pan this week.
            Got me a little experience with this abomination. Amazingly, even with pictorial evidence some still tryo to defend it Check this thread:

Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
            Romans 15:13
            Deuteronomy 31:6
            Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

OK but we are getting off track here. I am looking for engine info! I am 55 and before I could drink I was wise to the fact the rusty steel and fiberglass is a temporary fix at best. Now can we get back to engine info?

JK

Comment

Dick Dotson Books

I have six books by Dick Dotson that I would be willing to sell. dkelstrom@juno.com

Comment

Originally posted by Don Kelstrom View Post
                  I have six books by Dick Dotson that I would be willing to sell. dkelstrom@juno.com
                  Is one of them about discovering Atlantis, in Florida?
                  Bo

Comment

Jon, I can tell you from first hand experience that the modifications I made to my 259, which were based on info from the Dick Datson books, worked wonders. The mods I used were the following:
                    Chevy valve conversion with Manley Pro Flo with undercut stems, 1.88 intakes 1.5 exhausts.
                    High compression heads cut .125, yes a full 1/8 inch
                    R2 cam
                    Flat top pistons
                    I gotta tell you, that was a fun engine to drive. Great throttle response and it loved to live at the higher rpms.
                    sals54

Comment

DD just copied the work of a lot other people and compiled it in huge disorganized scrapbooks to be sold for profit.
                      He is/was one of the few that took time to put that info in one place.
                      That doesn't make him a genius or anything.
                      I'll leave it at that.
                      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I am looking at a copy of "The Studebaker Extreme Duty Engine Book". On the back cover it lists Total Performance Independents, 1511 19th Avenue West, Bradenton, FL 34205 - copyright 1995. I don't see any reference to Mr. Datson in the book however Dick Datson did have some writings published in Turning Wheels in 1978 under the title "You Can Drive Your Studebaker Forever Technical Tips" series which included repairing your floor.
                        Peter Bishop

Comment

Just to be fair... Dick did not claim to author all the articles in his books. He did however always label himself as "Editor". That is a different claim altogether. He was the only one who, for decades, made the attempt to compile the information and publish it. He also went to great lengths to make this info available for very little cost to as many people as needed it. I know for a fact that some of the material he printed was utterly unusable, impractical, and sometimes weird, but thats also where each individual had to bring to the table, his own common sense. Most of the turbo info he printed was used to propel Tom Covington, Ted Harbit, me and many others to achieve incredible horsepower and tons of fun with very little expense. He also printed info on how to build a 100 psi pressure box for turbocharging. Even I know that 100 lbs of boost would be just a tad more than even a Stude engine could handle. It was a process of gleaning the information for that which you could use on your every day project. That was what inspired me to build my turbo flat 6 engine. That was an incredible experience. 110 mph with a flat 6 is pretty good for a grand total expense of $125. That is what Dick provided. I for one am thankful for his efforts.
                          sals54

Comment

Working...
                          X