Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R2 Wagon Painted

Hey Guys,

I posted a while back about my 63 R2 wagon that I got due to my dad's passing in 2007. I finally got the passenger side of the car fixed and painted. Will be putting it on the road soon. Found the stainless trim from Stude Int....waiting for it to arrive so I can install and then reinstall the interior panels.

The dash is cracked and is in need of a recover. I plan to take the dash out this weekend and have it re covered in vinyl. Any tricks or tips on removing the dash?

Dave
    Attached Files

Remove the gauges (pods) by unbolting the two clamps per gauge ( at about 2 o'clock and 8 o'clock looking up from behind; the center tach/clock/filler is the easiest) and the radio/ speaker. This allows you to see what you're doing, gives easier access and lets light in. With the gauge pods out you can unscrew the lower switches from the dash panel by taking out the top screw and just loosening the lower screw as the switch has forks that allow it to be slid up and out. this allows the wiring to remain intact and everything stays plugged in for reassembly. The main dash to body bolts are self evident. I just barely did this on my '63 Daytona Wagonaire. HTH Bish
    sigpic"Somewhere West of Newport Center"
    1956 2E12 O/D SOLD!
    1959 4E2 4spd, TT
    1963 8E28 GSA order
    1963 8E5 SOLD!
    1963 Lark Daytona Wagonaire 289,O/D, TT

Comment

Nice looking wagon! I'd like to see the pictures of the re-covered vinyl dash when you get it done.

Allen
      1964 GT Hawk
      PSMCDR 2014
      Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
      PSMCDR 2013
      Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

I just drooled all over my keyboard. Good thing I have a spare!
        Jamie McLeod
        Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
        1958 Commander "Christine"
        1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
        1955 Commander Sedan
        1964 Champ
        1960 Lark

Comment

Sounds good. I thought it would be that simple but wanted to see if there was some hidden issue with removal. Sounds like the vinyl covering will be the chore not the removal.

I will post pictures of the dash when done. Wish me luck!

Comment

Starliner62, Mfg company I work for has an install facility in Hope Mills. Knapheide Mfg. (Off subject..just sayin)

Comment

I think I've seen the place. And now even more off topic, I also have a 70 Javelin, 390, now automatic, posi. Poor thing is getting dismantled. Rust has had it's way with it. It was fun for it's 100,000 plus miles.
              Jamie McLeod
              Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
              1958 Commander "Christine"
              1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
              1955 Commander Sedan
              1964 Champ
              1960 Lark

Comment

David G. - I think that you will find that your Challenger was imported to the USA from Canada and its parent company has ownership in a third country (Italy).
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                  David G. - I think that you will find that your Challenger was imported to the USA from Canada and its parent company has ownership in a third country (Italy).
                  True, but I would guess all cars today are mongrels of some sort. At least it looks cool! :-) Besides it's my wifes. I drive a Jeep Wrangler daily

Comment

It's official! The wagon is on the road and running great! I had the carb tuned up and it runs sweet. After 4 years of sitting dormant it feels good to get it out on the road. I've already had multiple "What kind of car is that?" questions.

Now that it's done I can get back to restoring my Donohue Javelin...Life is good

RIP Dad, Everytime I drive this car my thoughts will be with you!

Comment

Originally posted by dkrtgood View Post
                      It's official! The wagon is on the road and running great! I had the carb tuned up and it runs sweet. After 4 years of sitting dormant it feels good to get it out on the road. I've already had multiple "What kind of car is that?" questions.

Now that it's done I can get back to restoring my Donohue Javelin...Life is good

RIP Dad, Everytime I drive this car my thoughts will be with you!
                      What did you do with the cracked dash? I'd like to see your results for my own 63 Lark.

Allen
                      1964 GT Hawk
                      PSMCDR 2014
                      Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                      PSMCDR 2013
                      Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

I think I've seen your Wagonaire years ago at couple of Stude meets in the central Florida area back in the mid nineties. Red interior with bucket seats? I had to be pulled away from it. My friends were afraid the owner would come along and see who'd slobbered on it. Black shows everything.
                        Beautiful back then and I'm sure it is now.
                        Kim

Comment

Originally posted by studebaker-R2-4-me View Post
                          What did you do with the cracked dash? I'd like to see your results for my own 63 Lark.

Allen
                          I recovered with vinyl...it came out ok but not the greatest. It's better than the huge cracks that were there. Definitely not car show worthy but it worked. I'd like to get it recovered professionally someday but I gotta worry about my car and use the wagon as my parts fetcher!

I'll post a photo in my gallery later today to show what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by kamzack View Post
                            I think I've seen your Wagonaire years ago at couple of Stude meets in the central Florida area back in the mid nineties. Red interior with bucket seats? I had to be pulled away from it. My friends were afraid the owner would come along and see who'd slobbered on it. Black shows everything.
                            Beautiful back then and I'm sure it is now.
                            Kim
                            Yes that's the one.

Comment

Dave: I worked for Roger Penske most of my life. In 1970, I had a Donohue Javelin as my company car. Then one day one of the office gitrls took it out to get lunch. She came back, the Jave did not. She got in a 'tangle' with someone else and they junked the Jave. Oh well....I still have several original 'Mark' signature decals somewhere that were on the trunk lid, as I remember. Notice the operative word here is 'somewhere'. stupak

Comment

Working...
                              X