52 Champion Carter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: 52 Champion Carter

OK, had the carb rebuilt by a SDC club member. When I turn the car off after driving and I get back in it in a few minutes to restart. It's hard (next to impossible ) to start, usually it's drawn a crowd too which is always embarrassing. After I drove it home the other day I took the air cleaner off walked around turn it off and walked back around and looked down the carb. Gas was running into it with the car off. It then dribbled to a stop say 10-15 seconds later. So I think this is my problem with the starting issue, it's flooded. That kinda explains that after it sits 30-45 minutes it starts easy like it should ( the gas has evaporated with the time sitting). Another issue is going down the road 60-70MPH it got a surging feel until I pull the manual choke out 1/3 of the way. I checked vaccum and I have vaccum. Any insight form ya'll would be appreciated.
    1942 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan * 1952 Studebaker Champion Regal * 1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight * 1967 Thunderbird Hdtp * 1969 Continental Mark III * 1969 Mercury Marquis convertible * 1972 Buick Riviera * 1973 Continental Mark IV * 1978 Glass Top Lincoln Town Car * 1983 Mercedes 300SD * 1986 Dodge RAM 4WD * 1999 Infiniti Q45

Hi,

Here are a few things I think you should check:
    - float level
    - needle
    - fuel pump pressure
    - total opening of the choke valve with command completely pushed
    If you feel that the engine is running better with 1/3 choke, it seems to indicate that your engine is running too lean. You may not have the right jets.

Best of luck and have a nice week-end.
    sigpic

Comment

I had the same problem with my 1948 WE. The anti-boil level was adjust incorrectly. Basically, at idle (and especially when the engine is off), the fuel bowl is vented to atmosphere and closed when off idle. Modern carbs vent 24/7 to the airhorn so the issue is gone. This also compensates to a clogged air filter...
      1948 M15A-20 Flatbed Truck Rescue
      See rescue progress here on this blog:
      http://studem15a-20.blogspot.com/

Comment

i just think if that dose not work just to buy a new carp

Comment

Originally posted by poweroptions View Post
          OK, had the carb rebuilt by a SDC club member.
          I am sorry to say (being an SDC club member myself) this does not necessarily mean the carburetor was built correctly. These carbs were not exclusively used by Studebaker. You might do well to find someone with great carb building credentials. If he happens to be a member of the SDC... that's a bonus.

John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Well it's been ongoing for a year. It's the only problem I ever have with the car. But starting is a primary function and it getting to be a bearcat more often than not lately. I have watched for a new carb on Ebay but haven't seen one in a year now. I'm in a small rural (east texas) town and let me tell ya nobody wants to work on old cars around here anymore. I have the 5 old cars and all of their shop manuals and wade thru this myself. Are there any good carb guys out here or around me?
            1942 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan * 1952 Studebaker Champion Regal * 1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight * 1967 Thunderbird Hdtp * 1969 Continental Mark III * 1969 Mercury Marquis convertible * 1972 Buick Riviera * 1973 Continental Mark IV * 1978 Glass Top Lincoln Town Car * 1983 Mercedes 300SD * 1986 Dodge RAM 4WD * 1999 Infiniti Q45

Comment

#*!K it, went to the cruise-in tonight and of course loads of folks love the Stude but of course go to start it and 20 minutes of grinding on the starter it finally starts. I'm really fed up with the carb. It really wears my a_s out. Where in this part of Texas is a carb man or where can I send this one out????????????????

Comment

John how did you fix yours??
                Originally posted by JohnM15 View Post
                I had the same problem with my 1948 WE. The anti-boil level was adjust incorrectly. Basically, at idle (and especially when the engine is off), the fuel bowl is vented to atmosphere and closed when off idle. Modern carbs vent 24/7 to the airhorn so the issue is gone. This also compensates to a clogged air filter...

Comment

Consider sending it to Dave Thibeault in Mass. He is one of the best with Studebaker Carbs. His contact info is in Turning Wheels.
                  Frank van Doorn
                  Omaha, Ne.
                  1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                  1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                  1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Originally posted by poweroptions View Post
                    John how did you fix yours??
                    If you follow the carb rebuild kit instructions of instructions in the repair manual it should be adjusted correctly, The anti-boil lever is mounted on top of the carb body under the removable cover (the cover that is held on with one screw). Lever should lift up opening the port that vents the fuel bowl to the atmosphere when the throttle is at idle.

Comment

Here is a copy of the rebuild instructions:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13355828/Carb0001.pdf

I had the name wrong, it should be the "Anti-Percolate Lever"...

Comment

Originally posted by JohnM15 View Post
                        Here is a copy of the rebuild instructions:

I had the name wrong, it should be the "Anti-Percolate Lever"...
                        JOHN, THANKS! This diagram is alot easier to understand than the one in my Stude manual.

Comment

You're welcome. Keep in mind that if you rebuild then you must do all these step in SEQUENCE. If you're just tweeking the one adjustment then that would probably be fine... Hope this fixes the problem, let us know if it does.

Comment

With Fall in the lower 100s and 145 days with no rain I thought it might be time to get the 52 Champion out before the world ends. I had the carb rebuilt a 2nd time by a sr. member here on the forum. Car starts great when cold, but I drive it 10 minutes it will not restart. I must sit for 30-45 minutes and let it cool down. It has good spark. I notice when I take the brass nut off for the strainer that it's dry in there, no gas. I fill it once or twice and maybe the ole girl will start before the cool down. What am I doing wrong?? thanks

Comment

At least part of your problem is the stinking modern gas that is designed for a closed system (or more appropriately, not design for an "open system"). My carb boils after the engine gets to temperature and then shut off. With the anti-percolate valve set correctly, instead of the fuel boiling in the fuel bowl and then into the venturis, it boils out the anti-percolate valve and all over the outside of the carb.

You may also have some variation of vapor lock where the fuel turns to vapor. Maybe that is why it is dry in the inlet carb strainer, the fuel just turned to vapor. There are a number of things that can help. Use the search function and search on "vapor lock".

Meanwhile, I have been thinking of some solutions. I'm a retired engineer so I tend to think about design solutions. Of course the best solution is to make the system "closed". But that would force the use of fuel injection and a bit too radical for the vintage car. Here is a list of things I am considering:

1. Bypass filter. Add a bypass filter just before the carb that recycles fuel back to the tank. This helps reduce fuel temperatures.
                              2. Drain the fuel bowl when engine is shut off. This would be adding a port on the bottom of the carb bowl, an electric valve, and electric fuel pump. With engine shut down the valve would open and pump run for some period of time removing the fuel from the bowl back to the tank. Also adding an electric fuel pump to feed the carb would fill the carb bowl ready for starting.
                              3. Fan on the carb being fed by outside air. The fan would come on when the engine is shut off for some period of time.

Comment

Working...
                              X