Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any warmed up 232 pics and info here?

Hey guys,

I got my '52 started and moving under it's own power, FINALLY! Anyhow, I really like the sound of this boat anchor, and I think it would be fun to do some more "interesting" things to it. Any pics or info guys?
    Dylan Wills
    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
    1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
    1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
    1914 Ford Model T

I really like the sound of this boat anchor, and I think it would be fun to do some more "interesting" things to it.
    What are your long term goals for the car?

Yes, the 232" is the boat anchor of Stude V8s.

No, don't spend serious money on a 232" if any real horsepower is the goal.

Maybe, find an inexpensive 259 engine and make much more power for the same money.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

My goals for the car? To have fun! Haha! Naw, I realize she isn't going to get alot, compared to a 259 or 289, but I got both of those already anyways. I want to do something a little different, and working on this engine, I'm getting kind of fond of it.
      Dylan Wills
      Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
      1914 Ford Model T

Comment

If you look on the Southeast zone meet pictures, here, you can see what I did to mine
        for the old look speed equipment. And you can google SDC SE Zone meet Youtube and
        see the video Jeff put on. I have the same equipment, for sale, Only because I need some
        upholstery money. Anyway, the pictures are here on the forum.

Comment

Our 232 engine looks pretty original except for alternator and AC compressor.

Jim's Rod Shop: Restoring Vintage Cars and Hot Rods in Yuma, Arizona
          Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
          jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

I think later heads would give you a lot more power. Those nail sized valves are pretty restrictive. But I wonder if they would also lower your compression ratio and thus lose some horsepower? Perhaps a hot cam and two carbs?

Comment

A 259 (or later) intake manifold and 259 heads will made a considerable difference. Just verify what compression ratio you wind up with and modify as needed. Sure, a 4 barrel carb will help, too, but use a low volume one.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
                A 259 (or later) intake manifold and 259 heads will made a considerable difference. Just verify what compression ratio you wind up with and modify as needed. Sure, a 4 barrel carb will help, too, but use a low volume one.
                I think using later heads on a 232 will probably give you overheating problems. I learned this by reading a discussion on the topic in January's "Turning Wheels", where one of the respected Co-Operator advisors, John Erb, pointed out "The lower cylinder head water passageways in the 232 are a mismatch against the corresponding (mating) passages in later heads".

Comment

I have had 259 heads on my 232 since 2005. Those heads really woke up that little engine. Dual exhaust helped even more. Don't get me wrong, a sick 259 could probably outrun it still, but it moves out much better with these updates
                  1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Comment

Don't forget about the little stock exhaust manifolds, they got to go.
                      Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Comment

Why not simply bolt a 259 or 289 in there? 'cept for the location of the fuel pump...and the possibility of someone cleaning off the engine number...who would know? The 232 in my Land Cruiser moves it in a respectable and dignified manner...just as you would expect from the elegant sedan it is.

Of course, if the 232 is all you have to play with...then go for it.
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Thanks guys! That's a start

Mr.Clary, because I got both of those already I thought it would be fun to do something to a 232 for a change, instead of always seeing 259s or 289s at Stude meets. I don't care a whole lot about going fast in this car, so I am just having fun
                          Dylan Wills
                          Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                          1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Originally posted by silverhawk View Post
                            Thanks guys! That's a start

Mr.Clary, because I got both of those already I thought it would be fun to do something to a 232 for a change, instead of always seeing 259s or 289s at Stude meets.I don't care a whole lot about going fast in this car, so I am just having fun
                            ...and I agree...fun is the important part!
                            John Clary
                            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                            X