Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does a $400. '53 Starliner look like??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does a $400. '53 Starliner look like??

Back in about '68, $400. would buy a pretty decent driver cond hardtop and less than $2K would buy a mint example, but the as the pix show, you don't get much for your $$ now-days, for some reason. Just a parts car with very few good parts on it. Ditto for the 39 President. Anybody need parts?

I've seen those asking more for less usable sheet metal.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Wow, that really doesn't look too bad!
      Dylan Wills
      Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
      1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
      1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
      1914 Ford Model T

Comment

May be interested in a few things off that '39 like the stainless and other stuff. How about the grille surrounds on the '53?
        Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by TX Rebel View Post
          http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/...hotos-_-Sharee

Back in about '68, $400. would buy a pretty decent driver cond hardtop and less than $2K would buy a mint example, but the as the pix show, you don't get much for your $$ now-days, for some reason. Just a parts car with very few good parts on it. Ditto for the 39 President. Anybody need parts?
          The key words are "...in about '68..." In 2011 dollars, that $400 would be $2568.59 and the $2K would be $12,842.93. Some of us that have been doing this for a long time tend to forget the different value of money.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

how much you take for the 53?? I live in texas..

Comment

Good point, Gary. Today you can not buy 3 silver dollars for $100.00, and a twenty dollar gold piece will cost you over $1500.00!
              In about '69 or '70 the smartest woman in America said "yo cost of livin' keep going up while yo chance of livin keep goin' down", and she sure was right. I think of what new houses and new cars cost in '70 compared to now, and last week's shenanigans in that place, (uh, I don't have my teleprompter handy and can't think of it's name, but I recall that it is the opposite of "progress") guarantee that prices will keep rising as the dollar slides off into oblivion. Commodities, collectibles, precious metals & real estate are the place to be-not dollars & dollar-denominated assets. Holders of savings accounts, CD's, and treasuries have lost 50% of their value in just 2 years, and many still don't realize they are being fleeced. The biggest shake-down in history is cranking up and middle class America has a target on it's forehead.

You really do not want the 53 Starliner for a builder, though you are welcome to look it over & make an offer. I also have a 53 coupe which could be built..I can sell pieces off of both cars, except for the '53 grill shells which will probably be on my table in Springfield with new chrome. Just email or call. www.studebakersite.com
              Last edited by TX Rebel; 04-16-2011, 09:52 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

PM sent.......

Comment

Working...
                X