new heater control valves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new heater control valves

Does anyone have or know of any new heater control valves?
    I have a 61 Hawk.

S.I. rebuilt one for me. I had to send the core. It's going in this week.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

If you don't mind having the control backwards (meaning hot is cold and Cold is Hot) Reproduction control valves are available from SI. There is a guy in California who rebuilds the Ranco Valves with not only the seal but the plunger as well. I purchased the necessary parts from this guy and rebuilt it myself.

1964 GT Hawk
      PSMCDR 2014
      Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
      PSMCDR 2013
      Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

what reports does anyone have on this guys work?

Comment

A few years ago NAPA had the wrong-way-'round valves new. They were booked for DeSoto and Chrysler Imperial. If you're willing to mess around with the bowden cable clamps, you can make the valve-end crank work the "wrong" way and have your lever read correctly.

Comment

He has been doing repairs on Ranco valves for 30 years. Taking one apart is not rocket science but you have one chance to do it right. The small tabs holding the assembly together are fragile and will break if you take it apart more than once. If you are rebuilding it yourself be careful not to destroy the round disk connected to the heat sensor tube, it is extremely fragile. He was the only one to have all the parts that you would need to do it properly. Most repairs do not include the plunger that closes the valve. The plunger is the part that hits the heat and becomes brittle to shut off the heat totally. The back seal is the cause for a leaky control valve. I would not doubt that vendors send the valves to him and mark up the repair to send it back to you.

When I bought my parts from him, he went into detail how to do it correctly on the phone. BTW I have a media blaster to make my heater control valve look new and restored if you don't have one it would be in your best interest to send him your valve. He is the guy for restoration of your valve.

Allen
            1964 GT Hawk
            PSMCDR 2014
            Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
            PSMCDR 2013
            Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

I agree with R2. S.I. probably sent my core out, but it was either that or the wrong way valve I read about on this marvelous forum
              Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

I rebuilt some years ago with the Balkamp part # 660-1000 purchased from NAPA. One rebuild was still working great when I sold my Avant several years ago. I don't know if NAPA still has the kit but it only contains the rubber washer. R-2 is correct about only getting one chance at the repair because the metal tabs are fragile and will break with more than one bending attempt.

Comment

Working...
                X