No announcement yet.

Dry air cleaner support needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Dry air cleaner support needed.

Good afternoon:

My Studebaker sedan is a 16G8F2- Studebaker Commander Custom 2 Door Sedan, and has the 259 engine in it. I need to find the support bracket for the dry air cleaner.

I ordered the air cleaner (533023) and the support bracket from Studebaker International a few weeks ago. I did not know the part number of the bracket, they said they did and the order was placed.

There are two part numbers for the brackets that I see on page #104 of the Chassis Parts Catalog.
    1. 536717
    2. 536645 – Shows next to the description a letter "C"(Coupe)?

**I don't know which of the two they were looking for, but both apply to the 16G8 model.

The part number for the “dry” air cleaner is also on page #104 of the Chassis Parts Catalog; it is—
    1. 533023X1

I called Studebaker International last week about my order delay; they said that they did not have the support bracket, and would call South Bend, and should be received later in the week then the completed order would go out later last week. I called them today and was told that the order shipped today from Studebaker International without the support bracket, and they are still looking for one.

Does anyone have clues where I can locate an air cleaner support, or maybe any vendors that you know of that can provide assistance?

Thanks

55CMNDR
    Last edited by 55cmndr; 04-11-2011, 07:14 PM.

Bummer

The '55 Commander 4 door sedan that I'm parting out had an oil bath air cleaner!!!

I have removed it's carb, and plan to rebuild it soon. If you need a spare- PM me.

It's a -115A.
    StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I thought all 55 air cleaners were oil bath type, is your a 2 bld. or 4 bld? I have the flat bracket the rests on the valve cover to the under side of the air cleaner.
      Candbstudebakers
      Castro Valley,
      California

Comment

IIRC - The bracket for your sedan is different than the bracket for a C/K model. If you can get one to copy or pictures with measurements or a print, it shouldn't be hard to make one.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
          IIRC - The bracket for your sedan is different than the bracket for a C/K model. If you can get one to copy or pictures with measurements or a print, it shouldn't be hard to make one.
          Anyone got any underhood pictures of '55s? I don't doubt Gary (or the book) but I'm trying to figure out how/why only the C body is different. Why not a K body- were they all four barrels?
          I ask because I just found a dry-type air cleaner with a bracket attached but have no idea what it came off of. I need to know if I can help "55cmndr" with this piece I just found...

StudeDave '57
          StudeDave '57
          US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
          San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

IIRC the part that fits over the top of the carb is taller on the sedan models than the C-K models. If you can post a pic of the one you found maybe someone can ID it.

To muddy the waters, the 56J air cleaner looks VERY similar...

nate
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Originally posted by N8N View Post
              IIRC the part that fits over the top of the carb is taller on the sedan models than the C-K models. If you can post a pic of the one you found maybe someone can ID it.
              To muddy the waters, the 56J air cleaner looks VERY similar... nate
              But, you see- we're talking about 2 barrel carbs and air cleaners- they are rear draft, and as such the air cleaner is not going to be on top of the carb!!!

StudeDave '57
              StudeDave '57
              US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
              San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

2-barrel? GASP!

well, at least that's easy to fix.

FWIW, a R1 air cleaner will clear a '55 hood, at least with a late style intake.

<G>

nate
                --
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Received new dry air cleaner- how is it mounted with the new bracket?

Hello everyone-

I did receive the dry type air cleaner and the bracket from Studebaker International today, and I thought it would have been the same type of flat bracket that is on my car now for my oil bath air cleaner, but unfortunately, it's not.The reason I wanted to go to the dry type of cleaner was because of the mess involved and the lack of room with the wet cleaner. Whenever I wanted to check the oil, I would have to fight my way around the cleaner.

The oil bath cleaner did come with the car, but the flat bracket that rests on the valve cover to the under side of the air cleaner, is all bent up. My bracket is mounted next to the dipstick tube, secured to the engine with a long bolt, sorry I don’t know the size, it is about 4”- 6” long. Obviously, this can't mount next to the dipstick tube like the other cleaner.

The oil bath support bracket is much larger than the bracket that I received today from Studebaker International. The new bracket is maybe 3” to 4” long and has a slot at one end of it. The flat oil bath bracket is maybe about 6" long.

My car is a 2 door sedan with the 259 v-8 / with a Stromberg WW-115, 2 barrel rear draft carburetor.

*I have not a clue on how this dry air cleaner mounts on the engine*
                  The air cleaner is a Fram/Studebaker; the part numbers are located on the neck of the unit and they are:
                  • Fram part# is - FRAM-FA-100-PLS2
                  • Studebaker part# is - STUDEBAKER -533023X1

Also, towards the middle of the unit, on the opposite side under the Studebaker label is a screw hole for the bracket, the screw did not come with the cleaner, and I don’t want to be guessing on the type of thread. I am thinking of calling Studebaker International, and see if they may know

The chassis parts catalog on page 105 says:
                  (Screw, to support- 5/16” - 18 X 3/4" - All eights except - 56J, 57L, 58L)
                  Can someone decipher the size?

There was also a question from candbstudebakers regarding a spare oil bath cleaner support, yes I would be interested in a spare just in case I am not able to mount this new cleaner. My carburetor is a Stromberg WW-115, 2 barrel rear draft carburetor. Let me know if it is still available.
                  StudeDave57,yes i would also be interested in your help.I need all the help i can get.
                  I am so confused at this point, I just want to get this mounted, but don't know how--

I appreciate everyone’s help very much, as well as all of your input.
                  Thanks.

55CMNDR
                  Last edited by 55cmndr; 04-14-2011, 11:26 PM.

Comment

I'm still a bit lost as to the C body and sedan thing. A measurement of that bracket you got would help me know which one I have. But In the meantime~ here's a picture I just found in a link from another thread~

This is a 'before' shot of Tim's "StudeBird" custom. It helps a little bit.
                    Thanks Tim!!!

StudeDave '57
                    StudeDave '57
                    US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
                    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                    San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

Thanks StudeDave 57-

I pulled out my 1955 perspectives on value dealer book, it shows the bracket.
                      It also looks like the bracket mounts on one of the valve cover acorn nuts,am i correct?
                      I am still confused as to the screw size that mounts the bracket to the air cleaner.
                      I need to go to the hardware store, and don't want to mess up the threads.

The chassis parts catalog on page 105 says:
                      (Screw, to support- 5/16” - 18 X 3/4" - All eights except - 56J, 57L, 58L)

55CMNDR

Comment

StudeDave '57
                        StudeDave '57
                        US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
                        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                        San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

Thanks Dave for your help,it is all installed!
                          The car seems to have more pep after taking off the oil bath cleaner, and installing the Studebaker dry air cleaner.
                          Not to mention all the room I have to check the oil now.

I appreciate all the help-

55CMNDR

Comment

Working...
                          X