New favorite Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New favorite Studebaker

Someone just asked about my favorite Studebaker, right now it has to be this 58 hardtop. (Christine) The more I get into it, the more I think the name is fitting. I don't understand how the car survived in it's condition. Sure, it's a 18,000 mile car but it's 50 years old after all. The latest example is the trunk floor. I don't typically buy Studebaker that need a trunk pan, but even the best ones have a surface rusted floor, not near perfect factory grunge paint. I'd love to know how the unpainted body bolt in the picture never even rusted and still has a piece of factory masking tape ubder the washer on each side.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
    63 Avanti R1
    63 Daytona convert
    63 Lark 2 door
    62 Lark 2 door
    60 Lark HT-60Hawk
    59 3E truck
    58 Starlight
    52 & 53 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Simply amazing! [:0]

'63 Daytona HT

Comment

Simply amazing! [:0]

'63 Daytona HT

Comment

I'd love to know the history of the car, I know one forum member saw the car for sale many years ago, maybe he can help. I know it had 15,000 miles on it in 1991 when the first owner sold it.,that's 545 miles a year. Maybe it was owned by a older guy as his last car, maybe he had a attached garage, maybe a very dry climate. The trunk is not anymore watertight then a typical Studebaker, so it should have rusted just from rain or car washing. It's Christine's mystery, almost like I hopped in a time machine and bought the car 1n 1960 and from a dry state at that.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
        63 Avanti R1
        63 Daytona convert
        63 Lark 2 door
        62 Lark 2 door
        60 Lark HT-60Hawk
        59 3E truck
        58 Starlight
        52 & 53 Starliner
        51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

I'd love to know the history of the car, I know one forum member saw the car for sale many years ago, maybe he can help. I know it had 15,000 miles on it in 1991 when the first owner sold it.,that's 545 miles a year. Maybe it was owned by a older guy as his last car, maybe he had a attached garage, maybe a very dry climate. The trunk is not anymore watertight then a typical Studebaker, so it should have rusted just from rain or car washing. It's Christine's mystery, almost like I hopped in a time machine and bought the car 1n 1960 and from a dry state at that.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
          63 Avanti R1
          63 Daytona convert
          63 Lark 2 door
          62 Lark 2 door
          60 Lark HT-60Hawk
          59 3E truck
          58 Starlight
          52 & 53 Starliner
          51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Heh - it's probably in better shape than that 59 Plymouth will be when they dig it up next month!

The 58 hardtop I had in the 70s was much like this one. In fact it WAS because of it being owned by a retired couple that it was so well kept and low mileage when I found it. The upholstery was faded but not torn or split anywhere. The original carpeting had dried up and was starting to fall apart with use. So one day I decided to replace the carpet and took the seats up to do so. Once the seats were out I started to lift up the front carpet section. There was the September 17th (or thereabouts)South Bend Tribune neatly laid out underneath with the body bolts looking like the one you've pictured here and run right thru the paper as if to hold it securely in place until the day I brought it back to light!

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Heh - it's probably in better shape than that 59 Plymouth will be when they dig it up next month!

The 58 hardtop I had in the 70s was much like this one. In fact it WAS because of it being owned by a retired couple that it was so well kept and low mileage when I found it. The upholstery was faded but not torn or split anywhere. The original carpeting had dried up and was starting to fall apart with use. So one day I decided to replace the carpet and took the seats up to do so. Once the seats were out I started to lift up the front carpet section. There was the September 17th (or thereabouts)South Bend Tribune neatly laid out underneath with the body bolts looking like the one you've pictured here and run right thru the paper as if to hold it securely in place until the day I brought it back to light!

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote: I'd love to know the history of the car,
                JDP, did you ask the dealer about it's history? He told me that it belonged to his father-in-law. Maybe he knows the history

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

quote: I'd love to know the history of the car,
                  JDP, did you ask the dealer about it's history? He told me that it belonged to his father-in-law. Maybe he knows the history

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

I did, his father in law bought it in 1991 was all he knew, but he'll as for more info.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
                    63 Avanti R1
                    63 Daytona convert
                    63 Lark 2 door
                    62 Lark 2 door
                    60 Lark HT-60Hawk
                    59 3E truck
                    58 Starlight
                    52 & 53 Starliner
                    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

I did, his father in law bought it in 1991 was all he knew, but he'll as for more info.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
                      63 Avanti R1
                      63 Daytona convert
                      63 Lark 2 door
                      62 Lark 2 door
                      60 Lark HT-60Hawk
                      59 3E truck
                      58 Starlight
                      52 & 53 Starliner
                      51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

I'd love to know the history of the car, I know one forum member saw the car for sale many years ago, maybe he can help. I know it had 15,000 miles on it in 1991 when the first owner sold it.,that's 545 miles a year. Maybe it was owned by a older guy as his last car, maybe he had a attached garage, maybe a very dry climate.

JDP/Maryland
                        John: Your "query and theory" of 545 miles per year might have an answer on the last page of the new July 2007 Hemmings Classic Car.

Therein, writer Jim Richardson discusses what kind of people drive what kind of old cars.

Among his observations is the following: "I have an elderly gentleman friend who gets around haltingly on a walker and lives in a retirement community who just bought himself a new Corvette ZO6. Ill-mannered kids snicker when they see him hobble over to it and put his walker in the hatch before driving off, but he doesn't care. He has always wanted a fast car, and now he has one. And he can easily afford it."

When that gentleman passes, or can no longer drive at all, and that Corvette is disposed of after sitting dormant in the interim, how many miles per year do you think it will have averaged?![:0] (Yes, we can just visualize it at the 2021 Barrett/Jackson Carnival....[}]) BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

I'd love to know the history of the car, I know one forum member saw the car for sale many years ago, maybe he can help. I know it had 15,000 miles on it in 1991 when the first owner sold it.,that's 545 miles a year. Maybe it was owned by a older guy as his last car, maybe he had a attached garage, maybe a very dry climate.

JDP/Maryland
                          John: Your "query and theory" of 545 miles per year might have an answer on the last page of the new July 2007 Hemmings Classic Car.

Therein, writer Jim Richardson discusses what kind of people drive what kind of old cars.

Among his observations is the following: "I have an elderly gentleman friend who gets around haltingly on a walker and lives in a retirement community who just bought himself a new Corvette ZO6. Ill-mannered kids snicker when they see him hobble over to it and put his walker in the hatch before driving off, but he doesn't care. He has always wanted a fast car, and now he has one. And he can easily afford it."

When that gentleman passes, or can no longer drive at all, and that Corvette is disposed of after sitting dormant in the interim, how many miles per year do you think it will have averaged?![:0] (Yes, we can just visualize it at the 2021 Barrett/Jackson Carnival....[}]) BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Hi John,
                            even the uglyiest cars get better with age. I have been to pubs and seen some wonderful female specimens after a few thousand pints of beer to..

I find it funny that as butt ugly as those cars are, I actually quite like them now.

Christine just needs a little love, like all women do, and she will perfom OK again. Those sedan type cars from 56 to 58 were never that popular, but boy did Newman and Altman have just about everything for those type of cars NOS.

As a matter of interest, did that car have the original interior in it or had it been replaced. I could not quite tell from the pictures.

Regards
                            Greg

Greg Diffen
                            Australian Stude nut living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 Dutch delivered
                            1937 Dicator sedan. Australian Body by TJ Richards
                            1939 Packard Seven Passenger monster UK delivered
                            1939 Commander Swiss Cabriolet by Lagenthal
                            1988 Avanti Convertible
                            Greg Diffen

Editor Studebaker Owners Club UK magazine

Australian Stude guy living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 delivered new in the Netherlands
                            1937 Dictator sedan Australian Body by TJ Richards RHC
                            1937 Packard Super 8 Limousine UK delivered RHC
                            1939 Packard Super 8 Seven Passenger sedan monster UK delivered RHC
                            1939 Commander Cabriolet by Lagenthal of Switzerland
                            1963 Lark Daytona Hardtop
                            1988 Avanti Convertible

Comment

Hi John,
                              even the uglyiest cars get better with age. I have been to pubs and seen some wonderful female specimens after a few thousand pints of beer to..

I find it funny that as butt ugly as those cars are, I actually quite like them now.

Christine just needs a little love, like all women do, and she will perfom OK again. Those sedan type cars from 56 to 58 were never that popular, but boy did Newman and Altman have just about everything for those type of cars NOS.

As a matter of interest, did that car have the original interior in it or had it been replaced. I could not quite tell from the pictures.

Regards
                              Greg

Greg Diffen
                              Australian Stude nut living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 Dutch delivered
                              1937 Dicator sedan. Australian Body by TJ Richards
                              1939 Packard Seven Passenger monster UK delivered
                              1939 Commander Swiss Cabriolet by Lagenthal
                              1988 Avanti Convertible
                              Greg Diffen

Editor Studebaker Owners Club UK magazine

Australian Stude guy living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 delivered new in the Netherlands
                              1937 Dictator sedan Australian Body by TJ Richards RHC
                              1937 Packard Super 8 Limousine UK delivered RHC
                              1939 Packard Super 8 Seven Passenger sedan monster UK delivered RHC
                              1939 Commander Cabriolet by Lagenthal of Switzerland
                              1963 Lark Daytona Hardtop
                              1988 Avanti Convertible

Comment

Working...
                              X