Insurance. What Fun!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance. What Fun!

The time is near for burnouts and shifting gears. The good thing is in the 6 months I have had my lisence I have not had one fender bender or infraction. Unfortunately I am only 16 and the car is a 350 horsepower beast that has no airbags or cheesy safety equiptment. That said, insurance will be a nightmare. My questions are: What are my options? What is cheap? Considering the facts I currently drive a 16 year old car that is front wheel drive and has NO power and so it is cheap to insure. I would much rather enjoy driving a Stude if I can afford the gas and it is not like miles deteriorate the value on a Hot Rod I built and probably won't sell.
    Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
    Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
    Lizella, GA

Check with Hagerty. Another option is putting the '54 in one of your parents name and you as the regular driver.
    Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by Nelsen Motorsports View Post
      The time is near for burnouts and shifting gears. .
      Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
      Another option is putting the '54 in one of your parents name and you as the regular driver.
      That would totally depend on the young driver and the responsibility of the said driver. With the thoughts of burnouts and shifting gears under my insurance,... I doubt it would happen in my House.
      1964 GT Hawk
      PSMCDR 2014
      Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
      PSMCDR 2013
      Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

My questions are: What are my options? What is cheap?
        Your options are to become female, get married, and age about 20 years. There's no other way to really save on insurance. Your comment about 'burnouts' and 'hot rods' are exactly why young guys get nailed hard on insurance...
        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
        Romans 15:13
        Deuteronomy 31:6
        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I think the idea of putting the "hot rod" in your folks' name is a good idea. In fact, do that and keep drive the 16 year old fwd car on a regular basis. Use the other car on a limited basis. Like weekends, car shows, etc. If you have no accidents or tickets your rates will eventually go down. In North Carolna they drop at 18 in other states it may be older. Burnouts are a big no, no most places unless done under the auspices of some sponsoring body. The Yellow Mustang club is banned from many events, including Autofair because their members have done inappropriate burnouts at so many events. In an uncontrolled situations doing burnouts simply is not safe.
          Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Mines just 120 horsepower and I am over 21, well over 41. O.K. , O.K. , over 61. It cost about
            150 a year. BUT, you have a long way to go, SO grin and bear it a few years. GOOD LUCK.

Comment

Don't get me wrong I am a conservative driver, but nothing is as good as rolling coal down a quarter mile drag strip, LEGALLY.
              Lizella, GA

Comment

You want to "roll the coal" before takeoff to soften the tires. Once you hit the light you want them to stick!
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

do you have a cool Grandpa? I carried Matthew on my insurance for several years. In fact his first car and truck were both registered to me, and were on my fleet policy. He paid the premiums, but both were 6 cyl. Studebakers so it was reasonable. He wrecked the truck twice but we took care of the damage privately, so they were not reported. When he bought a V8 He was on his own.
                  Neil Thornton

Comment

I used to tease my older brothers. I told them that when we were growing up...for every mistake they made...I lost more freedom. The risks my parents took with them...by the time I got to the same age, the constraints were already in place.

My dad was a professional truck driver...so professional, that he never was charged with an accident in over 40 years. When I became old enough to get my own car, he told me that I was on my own. He was not going to risk his good insurance rates by putting me on his policy.

As wild as I was, I never wrecked a car, didn't drink, and really surprised my folks by never getting thrown in jail.
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

WHEN I was in my 20's I lived in Jacksonville Fla. I drove a 400 HP Mopar. I never wrecked it but had so many tickets that my Liability rate went to $900. per year. A fortune in the 70's. So I traded it in on a Ford Truck and moved to Georgia.
                      Neil Thornton

Comment

Don't get me wrong I am a conservative driver, but nothing is as good as rolling coal down a quarter mile drag strip, LEGALLY.
                        I hope that you know that NO regular car insurance, collector or daily driver, will cover you or the car in any sanctioned speed contest, such as on a drag strip.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                          Your options are to become female, get married, and age about 20 years. There's no other way to really save on insurance. Your comment about 'burnouts' and 'hot rods' are exactly why young guys get nailed hard on insurance...
                          Exactly! It has always been a sore spot with me..guilty until proven innocent....and one pays accordingly until you turn 25. I consider the cash settlement from a hailstorm some 30 years ago on my old $200 International truck as my 'good driver "rebate"'

Craig

Comment

My safe driving record gets me a 40% discount (the maximum available) on my insurance. Basic insurance I have to buy from our provincial government run Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (Ickybicky or Itchybitchy). Optional insurance can be bought either from them or a private company. Both my basic and optional insurance (which I buy from a private compan)cost the same amount, $700 each with the discount.

Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
                              Check with Hagerty. Another option is putting the '54 in one of your parents name and you as the regular driver.
                              That is what we are doing with my 94 Eagle, and the 89 Range Rover I have I drive maybe once or twice a week to keep the rings lubed. Cool truck, but 10 mpg is the reason.
                              Lizella, GA

Comment

Working...
                              X