PDA

View Full Version : How close alternator to inner fender?

Scott
05-17-2007, 12:54 PM
My 65 Daytona's alternator housing actually touches the inner fender of the car. It has AC and I suspect the belt is too long. The 66 Cruiser I had (no AC) had the alternator also VERY close to the inner fender, but not touching. I think even the factory photos show it all but touching. Does anybody know how close it would have been when new from the factory or does anyone have a belt number for an AC equipped 283 V8 car? It has power steering also, but I think that is on a different pulley.
Thanks.

sbca96
05-17-2007, 08:29 PM
I would venture to say no closer than 1/2 inch. I would want it to be
at least 1 inch away, certainly not touching. If the belt is in sorry
shape anyway, you CAN cut it, and loop it around the pulleys, put the
Alt where you WANT it to be and over lap the belt to get the correct
length. Take the belt with chalk marks to your local parts house and
have them match up the length you measured.

EDIT : actually, there are different thickness "V" belts also, some of
them are thinner and will be able to crawl down into the "V" and seem
to be too long. Some that are thicker will stay out farther and seem
to be too short - take this into consideration when you buy a new one.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires

RottenRodney
05-17-2007, 09:25 PM
Maybe this'll help somebody: I too measured belts the hard way, for far too many years. Recently a friend (a real mechanic) woke me up to a better way. The belts you have are too long, right? Rather than overlapping, chalking, and so on, try this: Adjust your stuff where you want it to end up, then cut your too-long belt (or belts) to fit, tape them back together at the desired size and present that to your parts-guru for a match-up. That's pretty damn accurate. I don't know about you guys, but I'll keep all old belts around for this purpose from now on. It works for me. In fact, I used this trick today. RR

Faster than a rusting bullet... Gopher Grove, CA

Scott
05-17-2007, 10:08 PM
Those are both very good ideas! Thanks.:)

sbca96
05-17-2007, 10:20 PM
No offense but we said the same thing. I was only saying to chalk the
length on the belt, rather than cut it with ends touching.;)

Either way works but if they put it on the belt length tester it might
be easier to overlap and hold when they stretch it out. Tape could
hide a gap which could make the result inaccurate. You COULD use a
staple gun to stitch the belt back together and be able to see that it
hasnt "lengthened".

Tom

Jessie J.
05-17-2007, 11:41 PM
Yes, that alternator was quite close to that inner fender, if or when the drivers side GM original crappy motor-mount lets go, it will allow the motor to rock over, and in so doing it will pull on the carb linkage, slamming the accelerator to the floor and holding it at full throttle until the ignition is shut off. This will also hold the alternator tight against the inner fender allowing it to short, and causing the wiring harness to fry and melt all the way back to the ignition switch. :(
This can create a very dangerous situation, possibly resulting in a crash, and/or a fire.
Twice I had those GM mounts separate, (yes, it burned out the wiring) I finally cured the problem by installing a short length of chain between the frame and exhaust manifold, with just enough slack to allow the motor to move, but not enough to tear lose from the mount.
I advise you check to see if your car has been retrofitted with the newer design interlocking "saftey" mounts, if not take measures to prevent your engine from ever unexpectely "taking a mind of its own"

sbca96
05-18-2007, 12:13 PM
Good points about the motor mounts, I forgot about that. It was an
area of concern during that timeframe, and replacements solve it.

Tom

RottenRodney
05-18-2007, 12:44 PM
That's some fancy diagnosin' goin' on there. 'Round here, it's all hot roddin' and colorin' outside the lines, so I hadn't given consideration to the a fore mentioned motor-mount possibilities. As obvious as that seems, I haddn't even thought of it. These guys are right. If the car is a stocker, (and you know where she's been) something has occurred over time to make your alternator that close to your inner-fender. Un-modified vehicles are a challenge for me, and I think my inner Evelynn Wood missed the word "cut" in a previously speed-read post. [B)]

Faster than a rusting bullet... Gopher Grove, CA

Scott
05-18-2007, 02:00 PM
I hadn't thought about the settling of the suspension, either, however this car's alternator is adjusted pretty much to very end of possible adjustment on the bracket, which makes me suspect someone just put on WAY too long a belt.