Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: tranny oil from speedo cable, 28 Pres

28 president
    I topped off the trans oil yesterday in my new car. it took a quart. this morning half the quart is on the floor. I found it to be leaking where the amoured housing meets the rigid shaft, 2 inches from the trans. I guess you know the question.....can that be repaired, do I need a cable,? I appreciate your help if you know the answer. David

(Should there be oil in the cable that far from the transmission, or is there a seal at the end of the cable allowing oil to get into it? )

Don't know anything about 28's, but is the trans vented and is the vent clear?

Comment

If you don't have a cable inside the casing, the tranny oil will pulse up the casing and leak. It will do this if you choose to remove the gear also....you will then leak enough out to blow your transmission....

Comment

I think if you check the parts book, a felt seal goes just inside the 'threaded housing' If you can't find it, Drain a quart, clean it really nice and clean out the (probably full of G.L. in the cable/core) graphite goes in it. Then put a good bead of sealer there, and tighten it up. Inspect the housing 'nut' for cracks! DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN THESE. Refill the trans and I'd hope you are good to go.

Comment

Working...
        X