PDA

View Full Version : Cast iron headers

studelover
05-16-2007, 11:36 PM
I talked to the gentleman that heads silvertone exhaust at york in march. We talked about stainless steel systems for stock applications. I was thinking that if I wanted to get optimum performance from my engine maybe I need to look in to headers with the system. Question, has anyone ordered a system from Silvertone that would bolt up to a cast iron header out of the box or do I have to go with a stock set up for the silvertone system. I want to get that system because for the price it is the most cost effective system money can buy. There is nothing wrong with my stock headers however I would like to get all I can out of the motor. The cast iron headers could bump up the horse power right?

Studebakers forever!

JDP
05-17-2007, 01:09 AM
The reproduction cast iron headers might add 5 HP, your money is better spent going to a 2 1/2 exhaust system for example.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
63 Avanti R1
63 Daytona convert
63 Lark 2 door
62 Lark 2 door
60 Lark HT-60Hawk
59 3E truck
58 Starlight
52 & 53 Starliner
51 Commander

Chicken Hawk
05-17-2007, 08:35 AM
I'm pretty sure Silvertone (Don Simmons) makes the head pipes to fit the R 3 headers.

Ted

quote:Originally posted by studelover

I talked to the gentleman that heads silvertone exhaust at york in march. We talked about stainless steel systems for stock applications. I was thinking that if I wanted to get optimum performance from my engine maybe I need to look in to headers with the system. Question, has anyone ordered a system from Silvertone that would bolt up to a cast iron header out of the box or do I have to go with a stock set up for the silvertone system. I want to get that system because for the price it is the most cost effective system money can buy. There is nothing wrong with my stock headers however I would like to get all I can out of the motor. The cast iron headers could bump up the horse power right?

Studebakers forever!

studebaker-R2-4-me
05-17-2007, 08:57 AM
Don Simmons of Silvertone Exhaust supplies the lead out pipes for the standard exhaust manifold or the R3 Cast Iron Headers. You need to order them to the exhaust manifold that you will be using. I just finished installing a 2 1/4" Stainless Steel Silvertone exhaust in my Hawk, Don's system was an easy install which took me about 3 hours to install.

Start by jacking up the car and give yourself lots of room. I cut out my old exhaust with my Sawzall, that took minutes. Install the lead out pipe at the exhaust manifold. Don recommends that you slice the adjoining pipe about 3/4-1" down the side to enable better compression from the pipe clamp.(Stainless Steel Systems Only?) All the supplied hangers fit in a certain direction and will clamp adjoining pipes at the same time so don't bother installing them first or you will be switching the direction of the hanger tab. Keep adding pipes and the mufflers and you will be done in no time. It's a Friday night install so that you can cruise on Saturday afternoon with a superb rumble. I installed Don's Medium Tone mufflers and really like the sound of them.

BTW pick up Don's Stainless Steel Exhaust 3" tips. They look really good sticking out the rear of the car. You have to polish them to make them shine but well worth the 1/2 hour effort with a buffing pad attached to your grinder.

Best of luck with the installation!

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o278/studebaker-r2-4-me/Exhaust.jpg

Dan White
05-17-2007, 09:36 AM
Here is a suggestion for you, I have started to put the stainless steel band clamps on all my exhaust systems as I have replaced them. I used them on my '50 Hudson last year and they work great. These do not crimp your pipes and allow adjustment if you have knocks after you think you have everything set just right! They also are a lot easier to get off if you need to replace any of the pipes. I will be putting them on my R2 Hawk in the next couple of weeks:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2006231/c-10101/Nty-1/p-2006231/Ntx-mode+matchallpartial/N-10101/tf-Browse/s-10101/Ntk-AllTextSearchGroup?Ntt=Stainless+steel+clamps

they also are available at NAPA

One note: you need to really crank down on them to deform the stainless sheet to seal the joint!

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT