Freeze Plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Freeze Plugs

I have a 1963 Cruiser with the R-1 and automatic. I am currently rebuilding the brakes and suspension. While under the car I noticed fresh antifreeze on the bottom of the belllhousing.
    While looking at that I noticed the exhaust manifold was broken. I removed the starter and manifold and could see where the antifreeze is coming from. On the side of the block between the back of the block and the 3rd 1 1/2 inch soft plug there is a small hole about 1/2 inch in diameter. With a little poking around the antifreeze start coming out much faster. Is this a small freeze plug? There is nothing listed at SI and I don't have a chassis book yet.

Thanks

That sounds like the "regular" block drain hole and somebody forgot to put the drain pluig back in it!

It must have been so thoroughly clogged up that when they took it out and nothing happened, they just left it out.

Over time, it started weeping and when you poked at it, it started coming out like it should have been when they first removed it.

It should have threads in the side of the hole. You can get a pipe plug at 'most any hardware store to screw in there like there was when it was new...and certainly should have been all along! BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The good news is that's the easiest leak to fix. Use an NPT tap to clean the threads before trying to screw in a new plug.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Is that plug a 1/4 NPT? Also, Is there a corresponding plug on the right side of the engine? Ted Harbit had the engine out and replaced the six 1 1/2 inch freeze plugs for a PO. That was in 1998, they all look good.

Comment

It is 3/8 in. Pipe and yes there are Two.

Comment

Thanks for the help.
            I'll check the other side just in case that one is missing also.

Comment

If there is that much crud inside I would suggest pulling out the rearmost freeze plug & clean it out with a coathanger or better yet a gun cleaning brush to remove as much of the debris as possible. Due to little circulation back there the debris collects in the rear of the block & will create an overheating problem eventually. There are many post on this issue.
              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Instead of useing a plug I use a pet cock.It is handy if you ever need to drain the coolant out.Like the one in the radiator.

Comment

Working...
                X