Member Richard Orr featured in "Reminisce" Magazine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Member Richard Orr featured in "Reminisce" Magazine

The story of Husker Chapter member Richard Orr's 1965 Studebaker Cruiser and the homemade cartop sleeper fashioned by Richard and his wife Martha Ann are featured in the April/May 2011 issue of "Reminisce" magazine.

Finding the asking price of $600 for a "store bought" sleeper a bit steep, Richard and his wife built their own to house daughters Wendy and June on family camping trips with the folks sleeping below in the Cruiser.

It's a neat story under the title, "Does Anyone Remember?" Check it out!

John Waddell
    Omaha, NE

I get that magazine and read the story yesterday....good to know the Studebaker is still around.

Comment

That's my uncle! And now the Cruiser is in my garage! Wow, this is a surprise. I am familiar with this magazine, but do not subscribe. Can you get it on the news stand? I have never seen it there. Can some one let me know where I can get a copy? Uncle Richard actually wrote an article about this car top carrier and the Cruiser for Turning Wheels a long time ago. It was also published in a miniature book some time ago as well.
      Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser
      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I've seen the magazine at Barnes and Nobles before.
        Gary Sanders
        Nixa, MO

Comment

Joe, I sent you a PM.
          Benny

Comment

We receive both Reminisce and Reminisce Extra. They are quite similar. As the magazines are printed six times a year, we now receive one each month. If you have any feelings of nostalgia and enjoy reviewing history in the lives of people and places they are a pleasant read, as most of the material is provided by subscribers.
            "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Joe your uncle mentioned you in the article, and I quote:

"I was 41 when we bought the Cruiser; at age 82, I realized that I had driven the same car exactly half my life. My nephew Joe in North Carolina now has it.

What I didn't tell Joe was that I'd bought about three batteries for the Studebaker. I bought Firestone's Forever battery in the 1970s, and the warranty promised replacement for as long as the original owner drove the car. Over the course of the years, I received numerous new batteries. Of course, the warranty ended when I sold the Cruiser, but I never told Joe. It was water over the dam!"

I won't tell you any more as I am sure by now you have gotten the magazine or are about to. Your uncle is a colorful character who has added a lot to the Husker Chapter here in Omaha. With his 1965 Cruiser he certainly got his money's worth!

John Waddell
              Omaha, NE

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                Uncle Richard actually wrote an article about this car top carrier and the Cruiser for Turning Wheels a long time ago.
                I believe it was in the June, 1980 TW.

Craig

Comment

We just picked up an April issue of Reminisce and nothing in it about Richard Orr must be a later issue that is not on the newsstand yet.
                  Frank van Doorn
                  Omaha, Ne.
                  1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                  1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                  1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I'm only 53 but I enjoy "Reminisce". The nursing home my Mom was at used to have it in their living room.

There were people I knew named "Orr" in my hometown in PA who were Studebaker drivers. Mrs. Orr was my kindergarten teacher, but when I saw her about three years ago (she died last year), and told her my name, she knew who I was...really. She rattled off the names of my two best grade-school buddies.
                    Bill Pressler
                    Kent, OH
                    (formerly Greenville, PA)
                    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                    All are in Australia now

Comment

Dick and Martha Ann are charter members of the Husker Chapter that we started in 1972. Every year the chapter has a Dick Orr quiz that is a hoot. He has quite a wonderful sense of humor

Denny L

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                        I believe it was in the June, 1980 TW.

Craig
                        Yes, that is the issue. I purchased a couple of extra issue of that edition of TW to give to my cousins, Dick and Martha Ann's daughters. I was hoping to have the Cruiser back on the road by the time of our Family reunion this summer, but I'm not sure everything will be done for it to be drivable by that time. I was planning on taking them for a ride and having those copies for them at that time.
                        Joe Roberts
                        '61 R1 Champ
                        '65 Cruiser

Comment

Sometimes individuals do not realize the impact they have on others. I lived off of Sunset Trail, just a few blocks from Dick. I used to go out of my way to hit Western Ave in hopes of seeing one of his Larks in his driveway. The green Lark was always my favorite. I think it was a 65. Dick helped me many times locating parts for my $200 daily driver Lark. I will never forget individuals like Denny L, John C, Dick O or Joe K and the time, advice and support (and discounts) they gave me in my early development and love of Studebaker. It is no surprise reading above that Dick was a charter member. It's individuals like this that were the original heart, soul and foundation of this club and why it is such an outstanding club today.

Comment

Originally posted by 58PackardWagon View Post
                            Sometimes individuals do not realize the impact they have on others. I lived off of Sunset Trail, just a few blocks from Dick. I used to go out of my way to hit Western Ave in hopes of seeing one of his Larks in his driveway. The green Lark was always my favorite. I think it was a 65. Dick helped me many times locating parts for my $200 daily driver Lark. I will never forget individuals like Denny L, John C, Dick O or Joe K and the time, advice and support (and discounts) they gave me in my early development and love of Studebaker. It is no surprise reading above that Dick was a charter member. It's individuals like this that were the original heart, soul and foundation of this club and why it is such an outstanding club today.
                            I was in Omaha a few weeks ago for the celdebration of Dick and Marth Ann's 60th wedding anniversary. As you can imagine there were lots of folks there and many expressed feeling similar to yours. Dick was into so many things. Studebakers naturally, but model street cars, photography, writing, stamp collecting. All were done with a passion for the particular subject. As a kid I loved going over to their house and going to the basement where Uncle Richard had so many cool things going on.
                            Joe Roberts
                            '61 R1 Champ
                            '65 Cruiser

Comment

Just found a copy of the article and posted so others could read it and see the design.
                              Attached Files
                              Andy
                              62 GT

Comment

Working...
                              X