PDA

View Full Version : Ebay hint

JDP
05-16-2007, 02:29 PM
Never take the descripition of a car on ebay literally unless you know the seller. Although I'm delighted with the 58 Starlight, I'm glad another forum member mentioned the brakes. The listing said "runs and drives like a new car", but it had one working wheel cylinder and that one would lock up.
The seller did pay to haul the car to me to fix the brakes so it was no big deal for me since I would have done the brakes anyway. A days labor and $175 in new cylinders, master cylinder and hoses and I'll have new brakes. (The factory lining are still fine.) If a buyer had flown in to drive the car home, it would have been a different matter.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
63 Avanti R1
63 Daytona convert-63
63 Lark 2 door
62 Lark 2 door
60 Lark HT-60Hawk
59 3E truck
58 Starlight
52 & 53 Starliner
51 Commander

studegary
05-16-2007, 02:39 PM
I stopped driving purchased cars home many years ago. It doesn't matter to me if it is one or 50 years old. Besides the cost of a round trip, there is the cost/value of the time and the risk of a problem. The last old car that I drove home was one that I bought while at York a few years ago. We were already at York and had to come home anyway. Even then, we stopped overnight on the way home so that we wouldn't have to drive and try to keep together in the dark. Your hardtop reminds me of my '58 Packard hardtop when I bought it. I drove it home, more than 50 miles through mountains, with one front brake working (sure had to be prepared for the pull to the side and for any stops). I was much younger then and just looked on it as an adventure. Those days are long gone. I have had hundreds of cars transported since then. Thanks for posting the experience and words of advise to those new to this.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

StudeRich
05-16-2007, 02:50 PM
I second that! You are absolutely right, John. We need to be very cautious of driving a car that a seller says: "drives like a new car"! :(
That MAY or MAY NOT be the case!:)[xx(]

And we do NOT need any more SDCer's and their cars ending up like studeclunker or worse.

Always first and formost...CHECK THE BRAKES!

I know a guy up here, that fully restored a very nice '56 Power Hawk, but he didn't touch the brakes because the FO had re-done them 3-5 years ago. The car has a Fenton floor shift conversion kit and a T-86 O.D. Trans. That puts the shifter right into the E Brake, so in second O.D. he could not stop with the service brake OR the E brake, or the compression. He took it for a test drive, got 200 feet from his house (high on a hill) and put it into a ditch and rolled and totaled it!

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

bonehead007
05-16-2007, 03:20 PM
I have to give JDP credit. He has an impressive list of cars , with another neat looking one added. I have a question, where/how do you store all of thoses cars and which do consider your favorite ?

bams50
05-16-2007, 04:24 PM
A few years back I bought an unrestored but running 65 Linc. conv.; had to pick it up at shipper's terminal 160 miles away; headed out to drive it; jumped right on the interstate [8D] 70 miles into the trip the LR tire blew at 80 MPH [:0] There was no spare or jack, and it was October and COLD; so AAA brought her home the rest of the way... 2 years later I bought my current super-clean, 35K mile 65 Linc. conv. 350 miles away; went and saw it in person the week previous, looked great; went to drive it home, got a little more than halfway and one of the nearly new Michelin threw a belt; limped off the interstate and got a new one put on; 45 miles to go a SECOND Michelin threw a belt[}:)] Limped it home and immediately ditched those Michelins...:(

To me, both of those trips were real adventures; but even the gorgeous, pampered car had a problem- and the seller had made a point of telling me about the new Michelins he'd just put on... so what I learned was, if you're not the adventurous type, do not try this yourself;)

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

bams50
05-16-2007, 04:32 PM
Another point: I've bought stuff that was misrepresented as to condition on eBay; but they are relatively few. And of those few, the seller wasn't being dishonest- just an honest difference in opinion.

Goes back to what JP correctly said: NEVER take a stranger's description literally! Get a knowledgeable third party to look it over if you can; or get them on the phone and ask questions! I've found that I can usually get a pretty accurate read on someone by phone, but it's nearly impossible by e-mail.

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

johns66
05-16-2007, 05:46 PM
Recently bought a Hawk that the owner said had good brakes, when the truck driver drove it off the trailer guess what? NO brakes, good thing the emergency worked or he would be still going. John

JDP
05-16-2007, 05:56 PM
Question asked:

"I have to give JDP credit. He has an impressive list of cars , with another neat looking one added. I have a question, where/how do you store all of thoses cars and which do consider your favorite ?"

I usually have 3-4 here, the others are at my "dealers". (Friends the prep cars for me around the country and split the profit on resale.) My favorite this week is the 58, but long term it's the R2 GT or the Caddy powered pickup.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
63 Avanti R1
63 Daytona convert-63
63 Lark 2 door
62 Lark 2 door
60 Lark HT-60Hawk
59 3E truck
58 Starlight
52 & 53 Starliner
51 Commander

Mark57
05-16-2007, 08:39 PM
Interesting comments... I've never had the confidence to buy a vehicle "sight unseen" from someone I do not know unless it was really, really cheap. I have had a few friends burned who have made deals on supposedley pristine vehicles that turned out to have a number of expensive flaws. That said, I guess there is a practical side - can't be travelling all over the continent to check everything first hand. However, a network of trusted associates who can provide some unbiased feedback on an unknown vehicle could save some grief later methinks.[^]

JDP
05-16-2007, 08:57 PM
Mark said: " I've never had the confidence to buy a vehicle "sight unseen" from someone I do not know unless it was really, really cheap."

That sounds like the guy that offered me 2K plus over the Buy it now price on the Starlight. I even asked him why he did not pull the trigger at $7500 a few days ago and he said "I'd rather pay more now that you've looked it over and I know what I'm getting", go figure. I guess the flip side is the Starlght could have been a 5K car that cost me 7.5K :)

As many of us have said, most of the time the cars are either as described or a bit better, at least in my experience. Look for exceptional cars with a crappy ebay description, it's usually money in the bank. E-mail or call the seller, get a better feel for the car and owner, ask for more pictures, and you'll have a leg up on the other bidders.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
63 Avanti R1
63 Daytona convert
63 Lark 2 door
62 Lark 2 door
60 Lark HT-60Hawk
59 3E truck
58 Starlight
52 & 53 Starliner
51 Commander

Mark57
05-16-2007, 09:58 PM
You said it JDP... its the difference "experience" makes.;)