PDA

View Full Version : anyone know anything about Weasels

grofkar
09-05-2006, 03:48 PM
We bought a Weasel with, what we were told, a Studacker engine and has Nodwell conversion track system- No paperwork or manuals (of course).
Does anyone know where to find any identifying info on these like a vin # or model, make,year,etc???
We also need a owners manual and/or anything that would be helpful in maintaining and fixing it -including ,hopefully having to do with the track system.We are currently having trouble "steering" to one direction.
I can send pictures to anyone that could verify what yr and/or type it is....unless someone is in Alaska that could help me.

Going through web search I have come accross your site and am wanting to know if anyone can steer me in the right direction on finding out more info on this rig.

Thank you for any and all help Greta and Mike Warner P.O. Box 4846 Palmer Alaska 99645 (907) 746-3864 gretaj@mtaonline.net

studeclunker
09-05-2006, 04:57 PM
Your question has already been addressed on this forum. No offense, but perhaps you might try re-wording your request or being a bit more specfic. Also, if the answers aren't what you are looking for, say so. Nothing ventured nothing gained. this link will take you to the previous thread.
http://studebakerdriversclub.com/sdc_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5683&SearchTerms=weasel

Gordon Richmond is the man you need to talk to.

Now that you have a Studebaker, it might be a good idea to join the club. It's not expensive and will be worth the time and money. Besides, you get a really great magazine. And with those long nights in Alaska...;)

Another idea: on the top right of your screen is a title 'Studebaker Drivers Club.' Under this is a list of functions. Use the search and look up all the entries on Weasel. You will find Gord quite a lot. His signature is "within Weasel range of...":D LOL:D

Good luck! I'd love to have your Weasel. Maybe someday...;)

Oh, I forgot, once you have joined the club, you can get a club roster. Gord is on that roster and you can then contact him directly. Studebaker people are enthuastic and helpful. Almost all of them I've met are very friendly.

Anybody know Gord Richmond's e-mail address?

Lotsa Larks!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Ron Smith

sbca96
09-05-2006, 07:54 PM
Main Entry: 1wea·sel
Pronunciation: 'wE-z&l
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural weasels
Etymology: Middle English wesele, from Old English weosule; akin to Old High German wisula weasel

1 or plural weasel : any of various small slender active carnivorous mammals (genus Mustela of the family Mustelidae, the weasel family) that are able to prey on animals (as rabbits) larger than themselves, are mostly brown with white or yellowish underparts, and in northern forms turn white in winter --

2 : a light self-propelled tracked vehicle built either for traveling over snow, ice, or sand or as an amphibious vehicle

3 : a sneaky, untrustworthy, or insincere person

http://www.m-w.com/mw/art/weasel.gif

I think its option two(2).:D;)

Tom

rockne10
09-05-2006, 09:17 PM
"Anybody know Gord Richmond's e-mail address?"

Clicking on a member's screenname or profile will provide a link to directly email, and members can be by located by first name, last name or screenname using the "members" tab at the top right of this page.

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
33 Rockne 10
51 Commander Starlight
53 Commander Starlight
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/51x2.jpg
previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser

Studebiker59
12-01-2007, 01:54 AM
Have you tried contacting Clell Ballard? He has written many articles for Turning Wheels on military vehicles, so maybe could shed some light on your weasel. Just look for his contact info in TW.

Mark57
12-01-2007, 02:01 AM
Calling Gord Richmond![8D]

<h5>Mark
'57 Transtar
3E-6/7-122 </h5>
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x153/MarkH57/Mr.GreenJeans1002b.jpg

blackhawk
12-01-2007, 04:57 PM
quote:Originally posted by grofkar

We bought a Weasel with, what we were told, a Studacker engine and has Nodwell conversion track system- No paperwork or manuals (of course).
Does anyone know where to find any identifying info on these like a vin # or model, make,year,etc???
We also need a owners manual and/or anything that would be helpful in maintaining and fixing it -including ,hopefully having to do with the track system.We are currently having trouble "steering" to one direction.
I can send pictures to anyone that could verify what yr and/or type it is....unless someone is in Alaska that could help me.

Going through web search I have come accross your site and am wanting to know if anyone can steer me in the right direction on finding out more info on this rig.

Thank you for any and all help Greta and Mike Warner P.O. Box 4846 Palmer Alaska 99645 (907) 746-3864 gretaj@mtaonline.net
Hello Greta and Mike,

If I remember right, that info is on a metal placard attached to the instrument panel near the battery disconnect. It could be located elsewhere but there are few possible places so it would be easy to find. That is, if it is still there, of course. Maybe someone removed it. I have seen all kinds of modifications to the area around the driver's seat. Some people even moved the gas tank outside and put a front passenger seat in its place. The one that belonged to my Dad is an M29. The weasel is not where I am living now so I can't just run outside to look at the placard.

Are you sure the tracks are converted to Nodwell? Those are pretty big rigs. I have seen weasels that have been converted to Bombadier running gear and track. These use rubber tires inside the track instead of the original boogey wheels and leaf springs. Dad converted his weasel to M116 "Husky" track. This track comes in bolt together sections so it is easy to repair, unlike the original track which was a continuous loop. It was also designed for a heavier vehicle than the weasel, so it is virtually indestructible on the weasel. He changed the sprocket and bull wheels in the conversion, but just modified the boogey wheels so he could keep the original suspension. The end result (below) looks remarkably like the original but is much stronger and dependable.

The weasels were made by Studebaker. The engine, unless it has been replaced with another brand, is a flathead Studebaker 6. Studebaker used that engine in flathead configuration in its cars and trucks up to 1960, I believe. I am too lazy to go grab my manual to see. I know it was used in the 1959 Larks because I overhauled one for my daughter. Any Studebaker car or truck manual will contain overhaul info for the small six. They are available from vendors that sell Studebaker parts. I can't remember where the starter is on the weasel. I think they used the truck engine in the weasel (starter on the opposite side than the same engine in the cars). The transmission is a truck version of the standard Warner T86 3-speed manual (lower 1st and 2nd gears and straight-cut gears instead of helical cut).

Anyway, great machines. I've driven many enjoyable miles in them.

Dale

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa67/DHaggster/Weasel/IMG_1706.jpg

gordr
12-01-2007, 07:10 PM
Dale my driver Weasel has a T84 transmission in it, as did two I parted out. Four bolt top cover, even lighter than the T96. '39 and '40 Champions used the T84, IIRC, as did WWII Jeeps, albeit with a top shifter.

I do have some spare parts, if anyone is in need.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

blackhawk
12-01-2007, 07:40 PM
quote:Originally posted by gordr

Dale my driver Weasel has a T84 transmission in it, as did two I parted out. Four bolt top cover, even lighter than the T96. '39 and '40 Champions used the T84, IIRC, as did WWII Jeeps, albeit with a top shifter.

I do have some spare parts, if anyone is in need.

Hi Gord,

I may have never seen a stock weasel transmission then. I have never seen a T84; did not know such a thing existed. I guess Dad must have changed his out for the stronger, more readily available T86. Far as I know, all the extra 3-speed transmissions at his place as well as mine are T86s. Four bolt top cover, you say. I'll check next time I am poking around the bone pile. The weasel has a T86 in it now. In fact, I think it is a car T86 (helical cut gears). I don't think he had a good truck T86 at the time. BUT, that was a long time ago. I may just have forgotten. Dad tended to not throw anything away so there may be some T84s lying around somewhere because he got all his weasels when the military surplused them and put them out for bid. We had several in various states of disrepair at one time when I was a kid.

They used weasels in the Korean War too, I believe, and I remember hearing that they produced another batch for the French in Indochina in the mid-50s. I wonder if the later models had T86s in them instead of T84s?

All of the flathead 6s that he fixed up for the weasels as well as cars, had replaceable bearing inserts. Did the original engines for, at least the WWII vintage weasels, have poured bearings like the older cars used too?

Dale

gordr
12-01-2007, 09:53 PM
Dale, I have a Weasel engine here, that I tore down because it was stuck, that has babbit in the rods, and shells on the mains. It also has cast iron pistons in it, as did another one that I just shipped off to Nova Scotia. Don't know if that one had babbitt bearings, as it is a runner, and I didn't want to mess with the bearings.
There are quite a few detail differences between Weasel engines and Champion car or truck engines, mainly in terms of the accessories.

Transtar60
12-01-2007, 10:26 PM
quote:Originally posted by blackhawk

[quote]Originally posted by gordr

Dale whatever the French got in the way of military equipment for IndoChina or elsewhere was probably drawn from Army surplus stocks leftover from WWII. Most likely they went through a depot level rebuild in places like Aniston AL or Red River Army Depot or even the Mainz Army Depot. Some WWII equipment stayed in use for years especially with National Guard units. The last Sherman tanks were declared obsolete in the late '50's.

They used weasels in the Korean War too, I believe, and I remember hearing that they produced another batch for the French in Indochina in the mid-50s. I wonder if the later models had T86s in them instead of T84s?

Dale

http://racingstudebakers.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10056/5E13%20Pic%203.JPG
3E38
4E2
4E28
5E13
7E7
8E7
8E12
8E28

59 Lark
etc

rockne10
12-02-2007, 11:06 PM
Then there's that Weasel web site.

http://www.m29cweasel.org/

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
http://www.4wheelz.net/virtual/images/rockne/1928_rockne03_f820_th.jpg'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight

blackhawk
12-03-2007, 03:54 AM

There are quite a few detail differences between Weasel engines and Champion car or truck engines, mainly in terms of the accessories.
That's true, but a car or truck manual will get them basic overhaul info for the engine. I don't know how easy it is to find a manual for the weasel. We never had one or needed one.

Dale

gordr
12-03-2007, 02:16 PM
Dale, you can get a nice reprint of the Weasel manual from Portrayal Press, who offer reprints of a vast amount of WWII U.S. Army manuals. They have a user's manual, a workshop manual, and a parts book, I think. I think the website is &lt;www.portrayal.com&gt;

blackhawk
12-04-2007, 03:42 AM

Dale, you can get a nice reprint of the Weasel manual from Portrayal Press, who offer reprints of a vast amount of WWII U.S. Army manuals. They have a user's manual, a workshop manual, and a parts book, I think. I think the website is &lt;www.portrayal.com&gt;

Thanks Gord. I'll check it out. I did not know manuals were available. Like I said, I never needed one to work on a weasel, but I'd like to have one as a collector thing.

I've been doing a little searching on the web for info on the weasels used in Indochina. Found a few reference articles and neat pictures but nothing so far that says whether these were new or refurbished. Dad told me long ago that new ones were made for the French but I can't ask him now for the source of his info; he died in 1986.

Dale