No announcement yet.

OverDrive to Gear Box seal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: OverDrive to Gear Box seal?

Okay, I've done several searches and can't find the answer to this. Frustrating thing is that this subject has been discussed here before.

I just had my OverDrive transmission ('56 Commander V8) rebuilt and when refilling it with oil have come up with a problem. I'll fill the front, then fill the rear, as per the manual. Thing is, when I fill the rear the front becomes over-full. If I allow the excess in the front to drain off, the rear (OverDrive housing) is empty. Shouldn't the two halves of the transmission (gear-box and OverDrive) be separate and sealed off from one another?
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Sounds like someone has used the wrong gasket on the plate to transmission part. Fill your front till
    it runs out and then fill the O/D til it does the same. Don't try to fill the two together. If that gasket is
    wrong it will stop most of the travel of fluid.

Comment

Wrong, they are connected, but with a restriction which keeps some oil in each one.

Normal filling is (on the car) fill the back one, leave the plug out, fill the front one, check the rear, top it off.

Comment

Posted on Bob Johnston's site..................
        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Working...
        X