Stude serpentine belt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stude serpentine belt?

Has anyone made/seen a serpentine belt system for the stude motor?

hmmm, a serpentine belt for 3 pulleys. Interesting. What engine do you have? Panty hose have worked on mine when I had no belt.

Comment

I think a serpintine belt would be used in a more complex car then one with only water pump and gen to drive.
      What can be adapted? I'm sure most pulleys needed are already made, crank might need a custom piece.
      Alt/gen won't care about direction, I don't know about power steering pumps or a/c.

Comment

A serpentine belt would be a real advantage if you wanted to add a bunch of additions like a modern supercharger and a modern alternator, and modern power steering. I saw one that a friend of mine installed on an early hemi, and it was cool, but lots of work. I have often thought about it, but my health won't let me take on these big projects much anymore. He bolted a 1/4 inch thick mild steel plate to the front of the engine with cutouts for all the add-ons he used, then mounted the accessories to the back of the plate. By careful location planning, he was able to mount two idler pulleys to enable the use of a standard belt.

Comment

I know of one on a 6 cylinder.
          Last edited by 2R5; 04-03-2011, 12:43 PM.
          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Does this one count?:

Studebaker 289 bored to 299, 2 Paxton Novi 1000 Superchargers, Ross pistons, Howards Rods, Billet Steel main caps, custom ground cam, Roller 1.7 rockers, Sta...

KURTRUK
            (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

2R5, That engine REALLY needs a car around it!

Comment

Bob , that little SC flat head is destined to go into a M series truck one of these days.
                ....wish it was mine !
                sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I have brand X power in my '53 but the PS system is from a '57 hawk. I had to mount the pump on the engine and also convert it to serpentine pulley to match up with the other engine accessories. I found an appropriate pulley (diameter and dish depth) in the junkyard as 1/2 of a dual belt crank pulley. The large center hole and 4 bolts from when it was bolted to the balancer on the donor engine allowed me to make a hub adaptor. I separated the half of the dual pulley I wanted from the rest of it, then did a CAD drawing of the original V pulley, the new serp pulley, and the pump outline all overlayed so I could design the hub adaptor. Then I made a drawing from that and had a machine shop make the part. Took a little work, but it fit and works just fine.

To do the rest of the pulleys on a stude engine would be just more of the same I think. The only pitfall might be the water pump. The engine I have uses a reverse rotation pump and the pump pulley runs off the flat side of the belt so runs opposite the other stuff. I guess depending on how the belts get routed, this would not need to be a reverse pump since it also would affect the fan.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Working...
                  X