Fun Begets Work, Work Begets Fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun Begets Work, Work Begets Fun

Last edited by Studedude; 04-01-2011, 08:45 PM.
    sigpic
    Dave Lester

Feeling of accomplishment

Hey Dave - I hear exactly what you are saying about completing some "manual labour"... it's a great feeling of accomplishment when the job is done and turns out as you had planned.
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

"Planned?" <G>
      sigpic
      Dave Lester

Comment

Man, that's some good work, Dave! BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by Studedude View Post
          Tonight was the night... I don't care how many years of experience I have with working with paint finishes, I always get a little nervous when it comes to taking sandpaper, compound, and polish to such surfaces.

The time spent was well worth it...nice finish. You work passes the HotRod mag 'flat paint' test due to the clear reflections of your lights and Stude Truck sign. See last month's issue if you read the mag. Remember to mail me a nice photo of your car ...something like jpeg 1024 x 768 will print up real nice...still have a spot on my garage wall waiting for it. Thanks Junior gscarline@cbe.ab.ca
          sigpic
          1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Beautiful car, Dave! You should be very proud! Clearly, you know what you're doing! Please tell us more about how you did what you did.
            John
            1950 Champion
            W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
            Holdrege NE

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
              Man, that's some good work, Dave! BP
              Thanks, Bob... that means a lot, coming from you, 'cause I know you've seen the Hussy first hand! <G>
              sigpic
              Dave Lester

Comment

Thanks, Junior... I have not forgotten... I am wanting to do a decent photo shoot with the car, and will share... thanks... really!
                sigpic
                Dave Lester

Comment

Originally posted by Lothar View Post
                  Beautiful car, Dave! You should be very proud! Clearly, you know what you're doing! Please tell us more about how you did what you did.
                  John-

THANKS!

If you are talking about what I did tonight, I "wet" sanded some scratched areas of the car with 1500 grit sand paper, and followed up with Mothers 81132 Rubbing Compound (intended to be used with only a foam compound pad, but I violated that rule, by using an old wool pad,) followed up again with Mothers 81132 Rubbing compound, using the "proper" foam compound pad, followed up with Mothers 83432 Foam Pad Polish, using the recommended pad, followed up with Dri Wash 'N Guard Waterless Car Polish, applied with a cotton towel, followed up with/buffed off with a micro fiber polishing cloth.

"Tool" used tonight:

My advice... buy a good electric buffer... FWIW, I have not had good experience with air powered buffers.
                  If you are talking about what we did before, follow this link:

Ya know, I think I'm more tired from 'splainin' the process than actually doin' it. <G>
                  Last edited by Studedude; 04-01-2011, 09:47 PM.
                  sigpic
                  Dave Lester

Comment

This thread/evening might be just what I needed.

I think I'm becoming burned out on the "Job."

I have pondered going to Springfield, but not seriously.

I think maybe that 'Sheba and I have both passed our prime.

Looking at the old girl tonight, though, I have to wonder... does she/do we have one more 1st place left in her/us at the International level?

Springfield is so close... yet, can be so far away... Tornado season, and all....

I have more faith in her that I do myself.

I think it's about time for both of us to retire.
                    Last edited by Studedude; 04-01-2011, 09:32 PM.
                    sigpic
                    Dave Lester

Comment

Dave, I've always wanted to see Sheba in person. But I've always wanted to meet you even more than I want to meet Sheba. I'll be in Springfield. If you could make it, that'd make my Meet experience twice as great.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                        Dave, I've always wanted to see Sheba in person. But I've always wanted to meet you even more than I want to meet Sheba. I'll be in Springfield. If you could make it, that'd make my Meet experience twice as great.
                        That's as good a reason as any other for me to make it! I'm looking forward to meeting you, as well!
                        sigpic
                        Dave Lester

Comment

Dave,
                          Looking good! I'll send you some 2000 grit for the "next time" LOL

Hope to see you in Springfield too! And I'm sure you'll be there, as long as you keep things "grounded" <G>

Jim
                          "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                          their Memorials!

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post
                            Dave,

Yeah, I know. <G>

Hope to see you in Springfield too! And I'm sure you'll be there, as long as you keep things "grounded" <G>
                            There's that voice again.... <G>
                            sigpic
                            Dave Lester

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post
                              Dave,
                              Funny you should mention that, Jim. I knew the 1500 was more grit than I needed, but it was the finest I had available, and I promised myself I would be very, very careful. Worked, too! (This time.) <G>

Tonight, I fixed one of my boo-boos that did not work out so well previously.

See, I got home from a show one hot, nasty August day a couple of years ago. I was too tired to clean up the car, but it is my self-imposed rule that things do not get put up dirty.

So, I commence to cleanin'. There is this huge, dry, immovable bug on the front bumper. No solvent I have seems to want to cut it, soften it, or otherwise make it possible to remove. In disgust, (and knowing better,) I go to the "abrasive" drawer, and grab a red Scotch Brite pad. Spraying lubricant on the bug/bumper to soften the bug, and keep the abrasive from scratching the bumper, I attack the bug, and remove it.

Then, I noticed that there is a shiny spot where the bug was (the abrasive did not phase it,) and around that area there were scratches in the chrome, left by the Scotch Brite. But, I showed that bug, by golly!

I just knew that I was going to have to send the bumper off to Mr. Forrester. While I really like Jerry's work, I'm not sure I like him well enough to be willing to spend that much money with him. <G>

In an effort to prevent that, tonight I decided I didn't really have too much to lose, so I decided to try an experiment. I put compound on the bumper, and the heaviest wool buffing pad in my possession. I worked the buffer and product hard, several times over the area, finally turning the buffer up to full RPM, creating a frenzy of noise, slinging of compound, and heat that would have removed all paint on a painted surface, and polished the bare metal formally under said paint to shine like diamond in a certain part of a goat's anatomy!

The results? A casual observer will not notice the affected area, and Mr. Forrester will have to wait for me to make a bigger Boo-Boo.

That said, I shall pick up some 2000 grit paper to have on hand. <G>
                              Last edited by Studedude; 04-03-2011, 05:58 PM.
                              sigpic
                              Dave Lester

Comment

Working...
                              X