What kinda car is that?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kinda car is that?

I was reading another thread here, about people, telling you what kind of car you have and how ford made the engines etc.

Made me think of this.

Often when asked the above , I ask folks what they think it is.

Several times the answer has been Porsche, which seemed very odd at first, but looking at the front end of say a 356, and the coupe , i sort of see a resemblance.

So what oddball guess have people come up with for your car?

When I had my '66 Cruiser (white with black vinyl roof) I actually had some guy ask me if it was a Bentley! (Rambler/AMC was the most common guess.)

Hawks/1959-63 Larks are often mistaken for Mercedes-Benz, obviously because of the grill. And more than once my Avanti has been assumed to be an Italian car, because of the name. Russ Farris
    1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
    1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

Many years ago, I had one of the most fascinating inquiries about my car. I was parked at a Stop N Rob mini mart in my Coupe, when I noticed two young women standing in front of the car talking. I then realized they were talking about my car. Weird. I pressed to see what they were going on about. One of the young ladies was talking about the style being somewhat like that of a Firebird, while the other thought for sure it was Italian. So they were very surprised to find out it was a Studebaker, and American made, and furthermore, made in the early 50s. We chatted about 10 more minutes about car design and what-not and that was it. It was one of the most interesting conversations about my car I ever had with strangers. They were honestly curious about the car, its origin and its design style. More than I can say for the Maroons that stop me at the gas station.
      sals54

Comment

Several years ago I was filling up my 63 Avanti at the gas station and a fellow asked me if it was an Aston Martin, I said no its not, but its faster than an Aston Martin !!!

I probably lied a little ... he he he !!!
        sigpic
        John
        63R-2386
        Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

I pulled into a grocery store in my 65 Cruiser and a guy walked up and wanted to know if it was a Rolls Royce. I'm not sure what he was smoking.

Comment

My '59 Lark was often mistaken for a Rambler, Mercedes was also not an uncommon guess.
            My Champ is often thought to be an early Dodge, though earlier in this week I had a guy ask if it were a Rambler pickup.
            My '65 Cruiser has been called a Rambler, but also an AMC Matador of all things. It also has been called a Valiant.
            Joe Roberts
            '61 R1 Champ
            '65 Cruiser
            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

My 62 Lark has been mistaken for a Rambler at every cruise night I've been to. I usually back it in and the only identification is the "STUDEBAKER" on the trunk lid, so they always thinks it's something else.

Comment

Originally posted by maxpower1954 View Post
                When I had my '66 Cruiser (white with black vinyl roof) I actually had some guy ask me if it was a Bentley! (Rambler/AMC was the most common guess.)

Hawks/1959-63 Larks are often mistaken for Mercedes-Benz, obviously because of the grill. And more than once my Avanti has been assumed to be an Italian car, because of the name. Russ Farris
                Even though Rambler is the most common wrong guess, I had one guy tell me he thought my '63 Cruiser was a Bentley.
                Chip
                '63 Cruiser
                '57 Packard wagon
                '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
                '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Originally posted by johnod View Post
                  I was reading another thread here, about people, telling you what kind of car you have and how ford made the engines etc.

Made me think of this.

Often when asked the above , I ask folks what they think it is.

Several times the answer has been Porsche, which seemed very odd at first, but looking at the front end of say a 356, and the coupe , i sort of see a resemblance.

So what oddball guess have people come up with for your car?
                  I have another interesting automobile that gets a lot of attention. It is a 1957 Nash Metropolitan. People have stopped and asked, "Is that the car that goes on the water too?" Too funny. I say...nope, no propellers and it leaks.

Comment

Originally posted by 65cruiser View Post
                    I pulled into a grocery store in my 65 Cruiser and a guy walked up and wanted to know if it was a Rolls Royce. I'm not sure what he was smoking.
                    My response? '(Insert colorful language) no! It's much more reliable then that!'
                    I'm always amazed that no one calls them 'Fairlanes', as the grill of a '65 Ford Fairlane resembles a '64 - '65 Studebaker.

Comment

Sorta off topic, but indicative of what idiots some people are, years ago I was with my home garage built '41 Pontiac (a fairly rare street rod) at a cruise night when I was told by a complete stranger how he had done just about all of the work on the car including motor, body, and paint. When I mentioned that the car belonged to and had been built in my garage where I had never seen him, he replied that maybe it was another one just like it.
                      Bob
                      Own \'53 Commander Starliner. Red w/beige top. 350 Chev/700R4. Tilt,cruise,A/C.http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j30/Bobphyl/StudeontheBeach.jpg

Comment

My '57 2dr Champion gets confused with the '57 Chevy a lot!!! My stock answer is a glare and.. "It is NOT a Chevy!"
                        1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

People look at my 64 Hawk and say it's a Grand Turino like in the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by stephenj View Post
                            People look at my 64 Hawk and say it's a Grand Turino like in the movie.
                            I get that all the time, people say I look like Clint Eastwood.
                            Last edited by JBOYLE; 04-01-2011, 02:09 PM.
                            63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

From about 1985 until I retired in 2001, I had a picture of a 53 K on my bulletin board at school. Once in a while high school boys would ask what it was. Most common guesses were Jaguar and Thunderbird. In that time only one kid knew it was a Studebaker but he thought it was a Hawk.
                              Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                              50 Champion 2 door*
                              53 Commander K Auto*
                              53 Commander K overdrive*
                              55 President Speedster
                              62 GT 4Speed*
                              63 Avanti R1*
                              64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Working...